Onkyo vs Cambridge Audio (with Focal Chorus 716 or 726 speakers)

piokino

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Hi audiophiles,

I'm planning to buy a new hifi setup and am considering either Onkyo TX8050 or a Cambridge Audio Topaz SR20. I've owned such an Onkyo before and found the network capability quite convenient (to control the unit via an iPhone app), but remembering my old Cambridge Audio Azur 540R, I'm wondering whether the CA Topaz would be trump the Onkyo in terms of sound quality... I'm planning to go for Focal Chorus 716 or 726 speakers.

Any thoughts on the Onkyo vs Cambridge Audio units?

And would the difference between Focal Chorus 716 vs 726 be very noticeable?

Best,

C

rainsoothe

I think they'll be a poor match. For the CA or Onkyo, you should look at Monitor Audio Silver 6 or Silver 8, or Q Acoustics Concept 40 or 3050. For the Focals, check Harman Kardon HK 3770 or 3700. But if you only require stereo audio, check simple stereo amps as well.

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I was duped into buying an 8050 from richer sounds by a couple of users on this forum who banged on about great it was for that price range. I found it to be nasty cheap and lifeless compared to Cambridge audio equipment. I replaced it with more musical kit from Yamaha. Seriously the love that 8050 got on these forums must have sold hundreds of units to people who think they got a great recommendation but its just weak! Jack of all trades master of none amp.

record_spot

bemaniac said:
I was duped into buying an 8050 from richer sounds by a couple of users on this forum who banged on about great it was for that price range. I found it to be nasty cheap and lifeless compared to Cambridge audio equipment. I replaced it with more musical kit from Yamaha. Seriously the love that 8050 got on these forums must have sold hundreds of units to people who think they got a great recommendation but its just weak! Jack of all trades master of none amp.

Sounds like somebody didn't do a proper audition. Oopsies.

Just read Andrew Everard and his review of the 8050 in Gramophone, Paul Rigby for Hi Fi World, or several hundred positive owner reviews online. This guy's the exception above and not the rule.

The thing about auditioning is worth bearing in mind though.

And as for "duped", I'd kick that into touch pronto. The buyer is responsible for their own money and how they spend it. Do your homework properly next time.

matthewpiano

The Onkyo is a great piece of kit. It has now been replaced by the new TX8150, so if you don't need the extra developments of the new model you might be able to find some remaining stock of the 8050 at reduced prices. It would certainly outperform anything from the Topaz range.

Also well worth looking at Yamaha, who make excellent amplification and, for their network receivers, excellent control apps which are very stable and easy to use.

piokino

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Thanks all for the suggestions. I just checked Yamaha, and added the R-N500 to my list of candidates... Any thoughts on that specific unit? Would that be a good match with the Focals?

Also, anyone with a clear view on the Focal Chorus 716 as opposed to the slightly more expensive 726?

matthewpiano

If it sounds anything like the A-S501, it will be ideal if you want a natural, involving sounding amplifier you can listen to for hours without any fatigue. Yamaha amplification doesn't exaggerate any part of the frequency range but instead gives a nicely balanced sound and with plenty of power for dynamic changes. Detail is also a strong point, though every detail remains part of the musical picture rather than sounding strangely divorced from it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts