one question i really want answering from as many as possible

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i have some floorstanders and i am sitting in the middle of the two speakers the same distance as there is roughly between them and 6 inch's from the back wall so text book so far. I have used the copper alpha on my cd player again no problems. Here is where i cant make my mind up every 3 months i change. Now | have them toed in almost to the degree where the cones are facing my chest they sound awsome but look awful. When i put them back almost square on, a touch toed in they look better and still sound awsome but the sound is differant its more warmer, where having them toed in seems to take over the room and be more attacking. I hope all that made sense so how do you guys/ladies have you speakers set up.

A

Anonymous

do not know your room setup, however 6 inches from the back wall is too close

a rough guideline which has worked well for me and my mates:(if you have the space)

measure the room width

speakers should be placed 0,447 x room width away from the back wall (back wall to front of cabinets)

and 0,276 x room width away from the side walls (side walls to centre of speaker cabinet)

once you have them set up with these dimensions, you can toe them in-out till you get the 'sweet spot'

idc

There is a hifi reviewer called Jimmy Hughes who has (maybe had now) his speakers facing away from him as he preferred the sound that way.

From your description I think that whatever way the speakers face and wherever they sit, you just need to concentrate on the sound and accept that maybe, in your room, with your ears and your system, you need to compromise.

Messiah

Mine are slightly toed-in but I find it does not make a lot of difference...

4185672436_0d6b8a2832.jpg

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Toeing-in speakers can often sharpen the higher frequencies, but may reduce the apparent air and space of the soundstage- the sound literally comes to a focal point.

Where the bass is concerned, you are hearing the particular acoustics of your room.

Square-on, the abundance of parallel boundaries (ie. walls...) cause interference patterns and cancellations as the waves reflect and meet. These are perfectly normal- in fact they are the reason why postioning is so important.

Toed-in, the waves will reflect at the angle of incidence and dissipate, rather than bouncing back and forth, and therefore bass may sound fuller as less cancellation ("destructive interference") occurs.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
idc has pretty much hit the nail on the head. Toed in ,toed out, straight down / across whatever. Find the sound that you prefer and stick with it otherwise you will be messing around forever.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i have measured and yes they are to closest part of the speaker 6.3 inch's and the centre over 7 but the problem i have if i bring them out say 10 inch's they are coming out further than my tv stand if that makes sense.

idc

Smuggs, this is how I do pictures. Join Flickr, upload your pictures onto the site. Then right click on the picture and copy the URL. Then when you bring up the message box for posting a reply click on the tree symbol. Paste the URL into the relevant box. Then click on the dimensions and make sure your image is no bigger than 400 by 400, then insert and by magic a picture appears.

JamesPianoman

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
idc:

There is a hifi reviewer called Jimmy Hughes who has (maybe had now) his speakers facing away from him as he preferred the sound that way.

emotion-2.gif
Brilliant! Wonder if he went outside to compare the sound with the speakers facing towards him?
emotion-2.gif

Er, to answer the OP, I'm still waiting for my speakers to arrive... and will doubtless spend some time adjusting... will let you know
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

dim_span:measure the room width

as in across the room as you will be facing the speakers, or as in not the longest wall?

grimmers

Jul 31, 2008
Visit site
Jimmy Hughes that's a name from the past, early seventies if i recall, had some very contraversial ideas, i think if i remember correctly one of his views was to have no telephone in the same room as youre turntable, these where the days when cd players did not excist, anyway i degress i find my speakers for myself at the moment sound best slightly toed in.

A

Anonymous

fast eddie:dim_span:measure the room width as in across the room as you will be facing the speakers, or as in not the longest wall?

width = distance from left wall to the right wall i.e. the wall dimensions where your speakers are placed (if that makes sense?)

idc

JamesPianoman: Brilliant! Wonder if he went outside to compare the sound with the speakers facing towards him?
emotion-2.gif

The picture I saw was of a long thin room, made thin partly by the shelves containing thousands of records. The speakers faced a window. He tried a liitle speaker from a car door in the middle on the floor to fill out the soundstage.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
The general consensus is toed in so their axle points cross on or just behind your listening spot. In my experience this doesn't make any difference as it's another general misconception that the sound eminates in a thin band from the centre of the drivers. If your speakers do that, change them.

A

Anonymous

dim_span:

a rough guideline which has worked well for me and my mates:(if you have the space)

measure the room width

speakers should be placed 0,447 x room width away from the back wall (back wall to front of cabinets)

and 0,276 x room width away from the side walls (side walls to centre of speaker cabinet)

once you have them set up with these dimensions, you can toe them in-out till you get the 'sweet spot'

I just calculated this and apparently my speakers should be over half way into the room!

Room 'width' is 4.44 meters other wall is 3.65

A

Anonymous

dim_span:

measure the room width

I just calculated this and apparently my speakers should be over half way into the room!

Room 'width' is 4.44 meters other wall is 3.65

A

Anonymous

fast eddie:dim_span:

measure the room width

I just calculated this and apparently my speakers should be over half way into the room! Room 'width' is 4.44 meters other wall is 3.65

well, if the width of the wall is 4.44m as you state, place the speakers 1.99m (2m) apart (centre of cabinet to centre of cabinet) and place them relative to the centre of the room

then make sure that from the back wall to the front of the cabinets is 1,98m from the back wall to the front of the speakers ....

I know it sounds and looks wierd as the speakers will be half way in your room as you are using the long wall as your back wall , but as I said, works every time for me ... move your listening chair as far back as possible

have a listen then come back and tell us if it sounds better .... not saying that this is where they will remain, but according to some experts and based on your room size, this will be the best position (soundwise)

A

Anonymous

One of the reasons that it sounds brighter when toed in towards you is because treble is directional and it 'beams' to your ears. A speaker will have a different sound when listened to off axis but this varies between designs.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
fast eddie:dim_span:

measure the room width

Room 'width' is 4.44 meters other wall is 3.65I just did this calculation and it turns out my speakers should be in Liverpool(and I live in Northants) do you think I got my sums wrong?!

A

Anonymous

Diamond Joe:fast eddie:dim_span:

measure the room width

I just calculated this and apparently my speakers should be over half way into the room! Room 'width' is 4.44 meters other wall is 3.65I just did this calculation and it turns out my speakers should be in Liverpool(and I live in Northants) do you think I got my sums wrong?!

read my previous post ...

and no, it means you have to rather use headphones as your room size is not suited for hifi unless you buy speakers that can be placed very close to a wall ...

your room depth is 3.65 meters (thats only 3 large steps) ... and you have the speakers on the longest wall ....

next you will be spending large sums of money on interconnects and cables then power conditioners and zapparators (or whatever they are called) etc trying to achieve a better sound
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

here is some info on the BBC LS3/5a speakers as far as speaker positioning/placement is concerned ... bear in mind that these speakers are regarded as nearfield ...

the dimensions I have quoted are for normal speakers and not nearfield, but this will just give you an indication of some other applications as regards speaker placement and how far away from the walls they are

I will check where the site is for the info for the specs I have given on this post ... and will also post that with the diagrams, ... as I have that info printed off and in my file

---------------------------------------

The BBC recommended that best stereo imaging would be achieved by turning the speakers in so they cross in front of the listening space. However the speaker was designed for use in confined spaces like outside broadcast vans. In these circumstances the listener will be very close, perhaps only 1 metre from the the speakers. In radio practice I have seen LS3/5as sitting on the top ledge of mixing desks. It was never intended for use in domestic HiFi systems. Many listeners report that they get the best results in a domestic environment with the speakers facing directly forward.
Many owners enjoy listening in the nearfield, with the LS3/5as placed approximately 2 metres apart, positioned well down the room, the listening position being equidistant at around 2 metres from the speakers. Under these circumstances an extraordinarily deep three dimensional sound stage can be produced.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts