One of my Subwoofers has just died on me

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I turned my Subs off last night Via the switch on the Subs (dont normally do this) switched them both back on this morn, both the power lights came on, but when i switched one of them on i heard a click sound from within but didnt think to much of it until i played some music and thought "where's the bass gone?" strolled over to the subs to feel if the cones where moving, one of them was the other not !
smiley-yell.gif
dead as a dodo.

Anyway i'm taking it to the hifi store for a possible repair, mind you i've had the sub for over 10 years so cant complain to much i guess, but still there's a hole there now in the sound
smiley-cry.gif

Has this happened to anyone else? And if so, was it a costly repair?

FYI my subs are the REL Q100E

Cheers

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Hopefully it's just a fuse or something. How do you normally switch them off?
Yes i'm hopefully thinking that aswell. I dont usually turn them off at all The_Lhc as there recommended by REL to leave them on although they say turning them off wont harm them either.

I used to turn them off when i first got them but always kept forgetting to switch them back on again.

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
"And that, honey, is why I need to buy 2 subwoofers this weekend instead of one- in case one stops working".

Might just give it a try and see if it works...!
smiley-tongue-out.gif

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Jase

It happened to me with a Velodyne... after I turned it off at the mains instead of it's own switch, it went dead. I took it to back to the dealer (under warrenty) and it was only a fuse.....5 minute job.

Chances are, this is the most likely cause.....hopefully.

michael hoy

Hi Jase,

Sorry to hear that.

Just a thought, have you tried swapping your mains leads round to check, obviously if it is the internal fuse then it will not make a difference.

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs
smiley-wink.gif

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
michael hoy said:
Hi Jase,

Sorry to hear that.

Just a thought, have you tried swapping your mains leads round to check, obviously if it is the internal fuse then it will not make a difference.

smiley-wink.gif

In my case, it was an internal fuse.....sorry, may not have made this clear.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
michael hoy said:
Hi Jase,

Sorry to hear that.

smiley-wink.gif
Hi Michael,

I can see where your coming from mate but it's definately an internal problem as the powerswitch on the sub works, hopefully as some have suggested it'll be just a fuse that's blown and needs replacing.

Fingers crossed.

TRENDING THREADS