one for the home cinema gurus out there....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
ive been thinking about getting a new avr, but i think there may be more value for money in getting a blu-ray player with analogue outs, like the s760, and a top of the range avr from a few years back that doesnt have hdmi inputs (if they have hdmi inputs they will probably be too expensive)...

does anyone have any suggestions for high end avr's that would have cost a packet a few years back? id like to keep an eye on ebay to get an idea of the prices these older uber amps are going for now... ta..

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Slim pickings on ebay at the mo, Max. Best I could see was a Yamaha RX-V1400 (originally £800) up for bidding. I'm guessing this isn't high-end enough for your purposes, though... It's a good plan, in my opinion, as the S760 is obviously going for much less now. You could have a great system and only shell out a few hudred quid this way.

D

Deleted member 2457

maxflinn:

ive been thinking about getting a new avr, but i think there may be more value for money in getting a blu-ray player with analogue outs, like the s760, and a top of the range avr from a few years back that doesnt have hdmi inputs (if they have hdmi inputs they will probably be too expensive)...

does anyone have any suggestions for high end avr's that would have cost a packet a few years back? id like to keep an eye on ebay to get an idea of the prices these older uber amps are going for now... ta..

Are we potentially talking pioneers here Max?

Also i guess we are talking about used ones here?

daveh75

Depends on how deep your pockets are and what you class as an 'uber avr' i suppose.

IME older budget/midrage AVRs can be had for peanuts on ebay etc, but higher end AVRs tend to hold their money much better...

A

Anonymous

Max you could go the active speaker route using the pre outs.

A

Anonymous

thanks guys..

yea im talking real high end avr's, ones that would have cost a couple of grand new, yup, pioneers gel, and arcams, yamahas, denons etc..

the way i see it is ill probably get better overall sound from a high end avr from a few years back than a new or nearly new one that costs the same.. i could maybe spend £500ish (not right now, but hopefully soon).that may get me a yamaha 2065 or a denon 2310, nothing wrong with either of them but im guessing they wouldnt be as good as an arcam avr500/600 for example?

thats what im thinking anyway, i havnt a clue about older avrs, whats hot and whats not, or what the hot ones may cost.. hence the thread, to get a few suggestions
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Nick21:Max you could go the active speaker route using the pre outs.im nearly finished upgrading all my speakers nick, so im unlikely to go down the active speaker route
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Hey Max,

I've got a Yamaha DSP Z7, got it for around 1250 pound here in Australia, there are still a few cheap z7 and pio 82 to be had over here, shipping is likely to be less than 100 pound, an option you could consider. I had thought about going down the analogue route with a Oppo 93 when it drops, but HDMI is so much simpler and cheaper in the long run, only 1 cable required.

http://sunnybankhifi.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1035

they have both the Z7 and 82, great to deal with and a bargain to be negotiated

A

Anonymous

hi prime cuts, nice speakers you've got there
emotion-5.gif

my max budget will likely be £500, so alas the z7 and pio 82 are out of my reach, thanks anyway
emotion-21.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

You know what hifi are recommending the pioneer vsx-lx53 with your speaker package the rx6, wait a while and you could probaly hit very near that price of £500, the pioneer vsx-lx52 is near that, which could be another option.

I not sure what the opinion is these days on buying older ones against buying a newer one but not as good in terms of spec.

You say your local shop does pioneer blu ray players do they do amps as well? If they do you could see if you like the sound.

maxflinn:

Hi maxflinn

Yamaha's superb DSP-AX1, DSP-AZ1 and DSP-AZ9 are worth considering .
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

gel:
You know what hifi are recommending the pioneer vsx-lx53 with your speaker package the rx6, wait a while and you could probaly hit very near that price of £500, the pioneer vsx-lx52 is near that, which could be another option.

I not sure what the opinion is these days on buying older ones against buying a newer one but not as good in terms of spec.

You say your local shop does pioneer blu ray players do they do amps as well? If they do you could see if you like the sound.
my local dealer has something very nice thats made by pioneer gel.. i wonder if i could sell one of my kidneys
emotion-4.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

maxflinn:gel:

my local dealer has something very nice thats made by pioneer gel.. i wonder if i could sell one of my kidneys
emotion-4.gif

Blimey and that is new? Also how many do they have?

Also something like the pioneer vs-lx70 amp is going for around £500 on ebay, not sure how that one would sound with your speakers though.

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT:maxflinn:

Hi maxflinn

emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

are they oldie goldies rick? i know you like them
emotion-4.gif
.. ill get googling
emotion-21.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

I see that shop you linked too does the onkyo 876 for 600 euros that can't be bad.

A

Anonymous

gel:maxflinn:gel:

emotion-4.gif

Blimey and that is new? Also how many do they have?

Also something like the pioneer vs-lx70 amp is going for around £500 on ebay, not sure how that one would sound with your speakers though.

thats what i was thinking gel, how many does he have? if he's got several(highly unlikely) ill plead with him to let me put down a deposit and pay it off over time..

i dont think id bother buying a new avr gel, what would i get for £500 thats going to be a big upgrade over my yam? i think a big old cheap bruiser may be the answer
emotion-11.gif

maxflinn:MUSICRAFT:maxflinn:

Hi maxflinn

emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

emotion-4.gif
.. ill get googling
emotion-21.gif

Hi maxflinn

All three models are still superb sounding and massively built battleships.
emotion-1.gif
Yes, i like them and because experience has shown me Yamaha inspires confidence
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT:maxflinn:MUSICRAFT:maxflinn:

Hi maxflinn

emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

emotion-4.gif
.. ill get googling
emotion-21.gif

Hi maxflinn

emotion-1.gif
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

thanks for the heads up rick, theres an ax1 on the bay, no delivery to ireland though.. it would cost about a grand anyway judging by the look of it..its huge
emotion-11.gif

maxflinn:MUSICRAFT:maxflinn:MUSICRAFT:maxflinn:

Hi maxflinn

emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

emotion-4.gif
.. ill get googling
emotion-21.gif

Hi maxflinn

emotion-1.gif
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

thanks for the heads up rick, theres an ax1 on the bay, no delivery to ireland though.. it would cost about a grand anyway judging by the look of it..its huge
emotion-11.gif

Hi maxflinn

Battleship build indeed
emotion-11.gif
I have heard DSP-AX1's generally go for around £500 - £700. I'll also keep an eye out for any of the three amps for you. Patience is a virtue
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT:
Hi maxflinn

Your welcome.

I forgot to ask. Is this particular DSP-AX1 totally out?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

yes, i dont have the money just yet rick, perhaps in two or three weeks., and its pick up only..but id defo consider one like it when im ready and providing i can get it delivered to ireland, which may be a bit of an issue i feel...

D

Deleted member 2457

Max you could always sell your amp and speakers and tv and just have the pioneer tv and your blu ray player, the speakers on the pioneer are amazing?

You seem to really want one Max, then in the future get another speaker package and amp?
emotion-55.gif

A

Anonymous

gel:
Max you could always sell your amp and speakers and tv and just have the pioneer tv and your blu ray player, the speakers on the pioneer are amazing?

You seem to really want one Max, then in the future get another speaker package and amp?
emotion-55.gif

if i thought id raise enough money gel i would do that, but its very difficult to sell stuff at the moment, ireland is in a really bad way and people are not buying many luxury items..

i rang munstersounds this morning, but alas jack cant keep the kuro for me, he's had alot of interest in it and expects to sell it before the weekend
emotion-9.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts