one box to rule them all ? ( naimed uniti) !

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:micky0179:surely not....??? Ah but yes... Twonky ahoy!

But then, as i asked in another thread, does it override the ipods dac? if not, you have to ask why bother with all that hassle, surely?

manicm

al7478:

JohnDuncan:micky0179:surely not....??? Ah but yes... Twonky ahoy!

But then, as i asked in another thread, does it override the ipods dac? if not, you have to ask why bother with all that hassle, surely?

Al, I don't think bypassing the iPod's dac is a necessity. Bear with me here, and I'm not deifying the rDock - just making a point: I have an rDock for my Solo Mini and can say it's really great - I'll put it this way - it sounds every bit as good as the iPod with phones - the dock takes away nothing - what it does it does brilliantly. There may be other equally good docks, or Russ Andrew's cables too. If Naim has paid equal attention to the Uniti's iPod interface there is no question why it should not sound great. Which brings me to the next issue:

The current Classic iPod which I have sounds rubbish - I'll repeat - if sonics is your priority forget the Classic - it's lifeless and all the EQ does it make it sound painful.

If you google the almost universal consensus is that the Nano and Touch sound best. And for my hifi purposes the Touch 32Gb is the only way to go - or maybe the 16gb Nano at a stretch.

But I can assure you - from my experience the combination of the right iPod and dock/interface can sound stunning - no digital extraction required.

Edit: And Al - I'm giving you free laughs here - if you're going the Hifi/iPod route may I suggest you rip Aiffs. Alac to me sounds a bit dull. Wadia agrees as well.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Oh, ill not laugh. Too loud
emotion-5.gif

No, i take your point. I should really have put it another way. I should really have said that if you got the naim for other reasons and you just happen to be able to plug the ipod in, thats grand, for the reasons you give - i mean im sure itd sound good.

It just seems a very pricey way to go if playing from the ipod is your main thing - like you said, there are cheaper good-sounding methods.

I didnt make myself very clear. Apologies.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I think if you were only buying something to play from your iPod, then yes, it is a very expensive way to do so.

But the iPod compatability is more of a bonus than the main reason for the NaimUniti's existence, as evidenced by the fact that the n-Link lead is an optional extra.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts