one box to rule them all ? ( naimed uniti) !

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Bin Clankem:I would't call entry-level or mid-range naim high-end, but there you go...

Quite right. If I can afford it, then there is no way it can be 'high-end' whatever that might be.

We are discussing a £1995 one-box system with CD/amp/tuner/DAC and wireless streaming. People spend more every day on banal things like (very) used Vauxhall Astras, getting a couple of new double glazed units fitted, booking a holiday, getting a new Plasma screen or a new fitted carpet.

You cannot even buy a bespoke Savile row suit for £1995 nowadays (
emotion-6.gif
) and some would think that cheap for one day out at Goodwood races with a few friends.

I think a little perspective is called for when talking about Naim.

Yes they do make a £90,000 reference system but they shift a lot more of their budget-mid priced 5i set ups and that is the core of the NaimUniti.

A

Anonymous

Just had a read through the manual of the Uniti. Have to say the specification are impressive - CD, DAC, Amplifier, Wireless, Ethernet, UPnP compatibility, plays most lossless and compressed formats. The only hole I could find was USB support for memory sticks only, not external HDDs.

Is the introduction of the Uniti one of the defining moments in HiFi? It's got me thinking about selling as much of my equipment as I can, and buying one.ÿ

ÿ

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Tarquinh:Is the introduction of the Uniti one of the defining moments in HiFi?

We'll be reviewing it in the August issue (on sale July 1st), although if Mr Clough gets his way we'll have an answer for you on these pages before then.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Andy Clough:And Mr Everard may be posting a blog over the weekend, having spent yesterday down in Salisbury.

Ladeez n gennulmen, the definition of 'done up like a kipper"!

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Andy Clough:And Mr Everard may be posting a blog over the weekend, having spent yesterday down in Salisbury.

Ladeez n gennulmen, the definition of 'done up like a kipper"!

Well, that's what happens after all-expenses paid visits to exotic locations such as Salisbury!ÿ

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
NaimUnitiBlogPiece running behind schedule, simply because I've spent the whole weekend playing with it, even to the extent of buying an iPod to test it with (I know, I said I never would...).

Initial impressions are very
emotion-21.gif
emotion-21.gif
emotion-21.gif
, and IMHO this is one of the most revolutionary products for years, but full blog piece should hopefully follow tomorrow if I have time...

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:even to the extent of buying an iPod to test it with (I know, I said I never would...)

John Duncan

Andrew Everard:
NaimUnitiBlogPiece running behind schedule, simply because I've spent the whole weekend playing with it, even to the extent of buying an iPod to test it with (I know, I said I never would...).

Initial impressions are very
emotion-21.gif
emotion-21.gif
emotion-21.gif
, and IMHO this is one of the most revolutionary products for years, but full blog piece should hopefully follow tomorrow if I have time...

Just read the blog (though I think your Evil Streaming Twin has written it, doesn't sound much like you). It's OK then?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I am still enjoying the Naim experience with my new CD5i/Nait 5i kit and wishing I had done it a long time ago.

I carefully considered the NaimUniti (it was announced before I bought my gear) but a few things stopped me.

1) I had already heard the Nait XS and wanted to keep that as a possible future upgrade option. (Easier and cheaper to upgrade from a two box set-up than from the NaimUniti.)

2) Money. I got my 5i stuff for an excellent price and the NaimUniti would have been £501 more.

3) Things I don't need like DAB (awful compared to Freeview radio via optical and DAC) and iPod connectivity. I have no need for an iPod. Plus I already have a great DAC and the one in the NU does not have USB (ok it does but only for memory sticks) whereas I need optical and USB.

Still looks like a great one-box solution and if I had not heard the Nait XS/CD5X (damn that XS/CD5X combo. It haunts me!) and had not got such a favourable deal then I could have been very tempted.

Better go read your blog now. (Please don't say it sounds better than 5i seperates!)

A

Anonymous

so... i have been toying with many different ideas of changing my set up for several reasons...

1: beacause i want to...

2: to clear some space...

3: to try and get a more detailed sound...

was all set to go for some adm9.1's due to the excellent things so many people had to say about them, and they would certainly clear alot of space for me as i would be selling my pm6010ki amp and cd6000 and kef q55.2 floorstanders to make room for them...

then along comes the naim uniti, which seems like it really would do everything i require it to do, you see i really enjoy the 'playing cd's' part of listening, the picking the cd, handling it, reading the case, etc etc, and was worried i would miss this if went for the adm9.1's. However the naim can still stream when i want a quick pick and play session by the sounds of it....

i guess i'm gonna have to wait for the naim uniti to come out and get some demo's in, before i can make a decision.

as they say the naim uniti is based on the 5i, would it pair well with b&w685's?

do others think this could be the ultimate one box solution?

does this new piece of kit look that good to ther people like myself?

share your views, and i await the full review from the team with excitement....:)

John Duncan

Andy Clough:We'll see what we can do Mr D.
emotion-5.gif

Tell you what, I'm doing my new album this weekend, so can bring in a CD and the 24/96 files to stream from mylaptop. 2pm on Tuesday alright for the World Premiere?
emotion-2.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If it were'nt for the Nait XS and CD5X and my insane optimism about next year's upgrade budget (and the great deal I got on my 5i stuff) I would be queuing up for the NaimUniti instead of writing this.

I hope it sounds great. (Not greater than my CD5i/Nait 5i though.
emotion-1.gif
)

Now if the idea catches on, maybe the folk in Salisbury will do a NaimUnitiXS next year? (Any Naim employees reading this take note please. You have one advance customer for it already if you build one!)

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Andy Clough:Well, John, if you get those pesky Error messages fixed by then...

Oh it's Quid Pro Quo now is it, Cl(ough)arice?

AKA the Haymarket carrot and stick method of management, I believe.

John Duncan

chebby:
If it were'nt for the Nait XS and CD5X and my insane optimism about next year's upgrade budget (and the great deal I got on my 5i stuff) I would be queuing up for the NaimUniti instead of writing this.

I hope it sounds great. (Not greater than my CD5i/Nait 5i though.
emotion-1.gif
)

Now if the idea catches on, maybe the folk in Salisbury will do a NaimUnitiXS next year? (Any Naim employees reading this take note please. You have one advance customer for it already if you build one!)

Add a power amp!

John Duncan

I agree though, this looks so like my kind of thing. The only thing that puts me off is the display. Wonder if an iPod Touch will work as a remote...

Actually, there's a thing - is iTunes a UPnP server? And does it handle ALAC - haven't inspected the specs closely enough.....

EDIT - "NaimUniti can play audio files in MP3, Windows Media-formatted content, AAC, Apple Lossless (from your iPod), FLAC and WAV formats"

Does that mean it can only play lossless from your iPod? Oh oh.....

TRENDING THREADS