onboard audio decoding in Blue Ray player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
In your latest review of HD AV-Receivers (including Sony, Pioneer and Yamaha) I noticed that you suggested partnering these with Blue Ray Players of the same manufacturer with onboard audio decoding. Isn't that a waste of money if you have a top-end HD receiver? Aren't you better off with a 'transport' like the one made by Denon, and shouldn't all manufacturers make a really good transport model in their high end price range to pair off with their top AV-receiver?

Interested to hear any views on this.

hunnyy

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
I'd just like to echo Quinten's query, for I've wondered about this myself.

If you're bit-streaming, say, a Panasonic '35 to a high quality HD AV-amp, how much (or little) is to be gained by "upgrading" to a more expensive player, if the AV amp is doing much of the processing?

caddyhound

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
This query has come up several times in other forums.General consensus from people who have tried both is that in the majority of cases it sounds better when the amp/receiver does the decoding.I don't think anyone tried an expensive Blu ray player with a cheap amp/Receiver though!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I've heard people comment a few times that there is a possibility that some future Blu-Ray standard might enforce decoding is done within the player as opposed to on the amp. I have yet to see any evidence of that, but it's been mentioned more than once and from what I consider fairly credible sources.

Personally, I went for the Sony BDP-S550 which can decode onboard (with multichannel outputs) as well as an amp which can decode (Onkyo 905) as it gives me the most flexibility in the future, no matter what happens. However, if I was buying a top end BD player, I would be tempted by a transport in the same thinking as you have that there shouldn't be any wasted money on features I don't need.

A

Anonymous

caddyhound:This query has come up several times in other forums.General consensus from people who have tried both is that in the majority of cases it sounds better when the amp/receiver does the decoding.I don't think anyone tried an expensive Blu ray player with a cheap amp/Receiver though!

I personally find decoding inside the player to sound better than in the amp. As you might expect, there's not a lot in it (slightly tighter bass and a marginally more dynamic overall sound) but the fact doing this also means you can view Picture-In-Picture tracks and actually hear the secondary audio track seals it for me.

Tonestar1

Just from a logical point of view isn't it better to let the amp concentrate on amplifying rather than have it decoding as well. This is surely the primary funtion it was designed for.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts