on wall/in wall still classed as true hifi????????/

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,
Ve been busy designing new house and less preoccupied with my new system as such.Even though we have a large area (4.9m x 4.2) i am trying to keep the genaral area/family free of clutter(electronics will be recessed in wall cavity).As such i am wondering if on wall speakers or in wall is still classed as true hifi.Do you guys know of any hi quality hifi in wall speakers or that just does not exists..If i go the inwall way, as m building, i can make what ever to the wall in order accommodate and improve and get max out of in walls suchas insulation, cavity....If it s a massive compromise in sound, them too bad, i ll have to put floorstanders... :D
On wall , i guess i couls get a pair of sa1 on floating shelves with a sub hidden away, or may be the wilson benesch arc with the wall bracket, or the pmc dbi..Again any advice or recommendation is always welcom.Sincerely yours

dannycanham

May 5, 2009
Visit site
If you want speakers on wall then get ones that are designed to be on wall ... but it is a compromise. They shouldn't sound awful but they would likely not be designed to produce what away from the wall speakers are designed to produce. The wall speakers attached to my onkyo sound really nice, perfectly listenable and enjoyable, but they don't attempt to produce the frequency range, as flat a frequency response, or as large a dynamics, or as much attack among other things as any other speakers I have used. Vocals do come out really well and the instruments sound clear.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
You can get a very good sound with on walls / in walls but you may struggle to acheive the lower frequencies. Most manufacturers supply a quality model, PMC have the Wafer 1 or 2, KEF have the 9000's, Dali have the Helicon and Euphonia range and Tannoy Definition install. We have supplied all to good effect and with careful set up and correct placement the results can be very good.

John Duncan

stpierre76 said:
Hi john, Thanks for replying and your advice.I did not even know that atc did some onwall speakers.will definately look into it.

You're welcome, though with those three brands I specifically meant their in-wall models. DB1is have fixing bolts on the back to put them on a dedicated bracket on a wall, but haven't tried it, and they become horrifically boomy if you put them in an alcove, which was why I advised against doing that.

Mr Steve

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
I have in the past had a demo from the local B&W agent with some in wall speakers and they even have special in ceiling speakers that can be used (e.g. as rears / surrounds).

On the end of the right electronics (and i cannot tell you what they were using) it sounded brilliant, especially with twin ISW4 subs working (each 2 speakers). These Subs have their own specific B&W sub-amp (a SA 250) that apparently must be used.

You can look on the B&W website and at the following links:

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Custom_Installation/CI_Series/ISW-4.html

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Custom_Installation/CI_Series/Custom_Series.html

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Custom_Installation/CI_Series/CI-700.html

But i am sure that there are plenty more option out there.

PS - for the Mods, i have no connection to the industry at all except for spending my money ...
smiley-smile.gif

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Have you thought about creating true inifinite baffle speakers? With the rear of the speakers firing into a utility room?

It's something I'd like to try with Quad electrostatics. Or with a set of good quality cones and domes mounted on a thick piece of plywood.

This approach was more popular in the 1960's than it is today. It makes a lot of sense from a sound quality point of view and has the potential to sound significantly better than conventional boxed speakers.

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,
John duncan,thanks for your reply.Indeed i can suspect that a speaker can sound awefully boomy if placed into a niche/alcove.The pmc dbi with bracket may be an alternative.Alternatevely the wafers may be the go..

Lyndsat, thanks for your advice.I did hear a few things about infinita baffle and will investigate a bit more.You r right it was much bigger in the old days but m not against it if it works...

Ik now B&W do a 800 HT or custom series, but yet to have auditioned them..problem is that not many dealers stock those speakers therefore auditioning is quite hard and if thery do, it s usually for HT room with HT electronics...But not gibing up yet..

I did a bit of googling and found that the WB arc do come with a wall bracket and once installed on wall, they are very good and the difference between on wall vs on their stands is so subtle that if one did a blind listening one would not pick the difference(so i read...)I guess i will have to try for myself.

thanks to all and keep those advice/recommendation coming.
john

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Good in wall speaker are still "HIFI" in my opinion and there are some very good ones for all sorts of applications and rooms. Speakercraft is an obvious choice - Amina also make their range of speakers that can be lightly plastered over and still sound impressive despite being completely hidden within the wall.

As with anything relating to install work though I recommend checking with your dealer first for the best speakers for the job as its more difficult changing them if you've already made the holes!

stpierre76 said:
Hi john, Thanks for replying and your advice.I did not even know that atc did some onwall speakers.will definately look into it.

Hi John

ATC do offer on/in wall monitors -

SCM-7S on wall @ £486 each (white/black), SCM-11S on wall @ £545 each (white/black)

SCM-7I in wall @ £545 each (white/black), SCM11I in wall @ £618 each (white/black)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi rick and thanks for the advice on the atc range.Just curious to what the differences are by going in wall with the 11 series vs the standmount???

Nick(home theatre centre) also thanks for the different options and different brands.Will investigate.

I ve noticed that B&W do a series called the CT and just wondering anybody has had any experience with them especially the ct 8.2.Although it s a theatre application m wondering how they go for 2 channel.IS the gap between the 804 and the ct 8.2 that big...

Thanks to those that recommended totem.I have heard the one and also many 2s and loved them.If i were to go the standmount the totem range was shortlisted.I m just intrigued by the tribe v.Not many reviews or stockists..might call totem to get more info, and ask them about the differences between the one and the tribev.

keep those recommendations coming guys,i trully appreciate your effort and time..
john

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts