OLED Screen Burn

John Duncan

Finally looking at moving up to 4K and considering the bottom-ish of the range 55” LGs/Philips/Sonys. Boys play a lot of games on them with static screen elements, and I do have the odd nap in front of a movie and wake up at the title screen 😬. How much of an issue is screen burn? Do I need to be worried?

michael hoy

I would not consider OLED under your watching preferences. I have an LG E7 OLED and think it is fantastic.
With working at home for the last 15 weeks, i have had the news channel on a little longer than i would have when working from the office and i can see a slight build up of the logo in the bottom left of the screen.
It is more about image retention and build up over time with OLED.
OLED is great for watching movies and will stick with it until something IMO better comes along.

D

Deleted member 2457

Finally looking at moving up to 4K and considering the bottom-ish of the range 55” LGs/Philips/Sonys. Boys play a lot of games on them with static screen elements, and I do have the odd nap in front of a movie and wake up at the title screen 😬. How much of an issue is screen burn? Do I need to be worried?
When I had a earlier model the LG 65e6v OLED I fell asleep with it on Sky Sports News and got screen burn. My dad also got screen burn on his LG 55b6v OLED through watching greyhound racing every night. The newer models seem better but I switched to QLED and love it. They are the best 4K HDR TVs plus black levels are virtually on par with OLED TVs. Some of them you can get 10 year screen burn warranties with.

D

Deleted member 2457

At John Lewis you now have to pay an extra £140 roughly to get OLED screen burn warranty with accidental cover on top of what you pay for the TV. They are the only retailer I know who cover screen burn.

D

Deleted member 2457

I can’t see many good deals on QLED TVs at the moment though. There was the Samsung 55Q90 4K QLED which was a stunner. But only a few shops have it now for £1199. OLED looks cheaper with the Philips 55 804 at £999 at Costco online 90 days returns. The Sony A8 OLED at around £1100 and then the LG 55b9 at £950-£1100.

buzz_lightclick

At John Lewis you now have to pay an extra £140 roughly to get OLED screen burn warranty with accidental cover on top of what you pay for the TV. They are the only retailer I know who cover screen burn.
I thought you were able to get refunds on your screen burned OLEDs without having the additional warranty with John Lewis Gel? The E6 and B6 and whichever other models you had?

buzz_lightclick

It's rare for them to accept screen burn on warranty as it specifically excludes that. If I buy an OLED, I will take the additional cover.
Yes I know, but I’m sure Gel got refunds or at least part refunds on screen burned OLEDS bought from John Lewis in the past.
Then he used the money to get an LG C9 for his parents and his Samsung QLED.
It’s good that they specifically mention screen burn cover now, if you purchase the additional cover, although it’s more money to spend on the initial purchase.

I’ve had 2 Pioneer KRP-500As and now a 600M, and all have got some slight burn in from the Sky Sports News banner graphics! And I use with very mild Pure mode settings and orbiter on etc.
So I think it’s likely that I would have the same issue with OLEDs; I do have my eye on the GZ2000 though which seems to be more resilient than most models, although hard to find now with the newer models coming out.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
So I’ve had my Panasonic OLED for 2 years and also I have a Panasonic VT plasma, owned for 7 years. I also have an Xbox on my VT plasma.

I watch sky sports, news with all the logos and I have not experienced to date screen burn nor image retention on both TVs.

hope this helps :)

Yes I know, but I’m sure Gel got refunds or at least part refunds on screen burned OLEDS bought from John Lewis in the past.
Then he used the money to get an LG C9 for his parents and his Samsung QLED.
I'm amazed you've kept up with his TV ownership status! 😀

I seem to remember he returned an LG OLED to John Lewis for screen burn only once. May be wrong though as I've totally lost track of his TVs.....think now he has 2 TVs in his bedroom? 🤔

D

Deleted member 2457

Cheers gel. Where are you seeing the LG for 950?
No probs. It’s here at Costco online:

£15 to join as a member online too. And you have a 5 year warranty and 90 days returns and they come and collect and deliver straight to your door. My parents have the LG 65c9 and it is a really good TV. I have bought a Philips TV from Costco and it was superb service I will definitely use again.

D

Deleted member 2457

I thought you were able to get refunds on your screen burned OLEDs without having the additional warranty with John Lewis Gel? The E6 and B6 and whichever other models you had?
Yes, I did mate on those 2 models because they were screen issues and John Lewis cover that.

D

Deleted member 2457

My sister has my old LG 65e7 and my bro in law games on his leaves it on Sky Sports news and has had no screen burn for 2 years now.

D

Deleted member 2457

I seem to remember he returned an LG OLED to John Lewis for screen burn only once. May be wrong though as I've totally lost track of his TVs.....think now he has 2 TVs in his bedroom? 🤔
I think I am going to buy a projector too in the future 3 screens! :)

D

Deleted member 2457

Thinking about it JD I would buy an OLED because it will be like buying a Pioneer plasma but better and I don’t think you’ve experienced true blacks yet on a TV you have owned. It’s whether like BB says you want the cover of screen burn from some place like John Lewis. But you are paying a lot extra for it. I will have a look around for deals to price match at John Lewis.

D

Deleted member 2457

At John Lewis it’s £1098:

I am not sure whether I would buy the extra cover too, I would probably expect them to sort it without the cover but whether they will now or not is another question.

D

Deleted member 2457

Richer Sounds will price match Costco online and give you some money back:

Get a 6 year warranty and if you get screen burn they will replace the panel. 14 days returns if you buy online too.

buzz_lightclick

I’m never 100% sure, but I believe he has 3 Samsung QLEDS of the same model in 55”, 65” and 75” sizes.

Jaas

Dec 9, 2020
Visit site
I’m on my second screen for LG OLED due to burn in, and have lodged fault to get another replacement screen.

first replacement screen was due to Sunrise logo burn in. So now I have to use the zoom function whenever I watch sunrise, which is not that often.

this time, it’s the Netflix logo that’s burnt in. So I’ve again sent pics of the LG to see if they send someone out again to swap the screen.

burn in on LG oled is 100% a problem. I’m looking forward to buying a newTV that isn’t OLED so that I can watch it, without worrying about what’s on the screen.

credit to LG for the quick and easy first fix. Let’s see if the same for their replacement screen. TV is less than 2 years old, and not excesssive use.

buzz_lightclick

I’m on my second screen for LG OLED due to burn in, and have lodged fault to get another replacement screen.

first replacement screen was due to Sunrise logo burn in. So now I have to use the zoom function whenever I watch sunrise, which is not that often.

this time, it’s the Netflix logo that’s burnt in. So I’ve again sent pics of the LG to see if they send someone out again to swap the screen.

burn in on LG oled is 100% a problem. I’m looking forward to buying a newTV that isn’t OLED so that I can watch it, without worrying about what’s on the screen.

credit to LG for the quick and easy first fix. Let’s see if the same for their replacement screen. TV is less than 2 years old, and not excesssive use.
Which model of LG Oled TV is it?
Gel had similar problems with them as above.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts