OLED Screen Burn

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Screen burns is usually the fault of the owner of the TV too much freeze frame . I have no idea why people do it and many are not suitable for games either. I have a 12 year old PLASMA and that never gets screen burns yet LCD LED and OLED do . I do remember many years back we had Picture in Picture tech in VHS machines yet the CRT TVs never got screen burn i used mine as a monitor for making VHS Films from my S-VHS Camera Yet 21st century getting screen burn why ?? Ah yes cheap Chinese TVs well what do you expect ? But from QLED/OLED even worse by the way where are these TVs made ??

michael hoy

Screen burns is usually the fault of the owner of the TV too much freeze frame . I have no idea why people do it and many are not suitable for games either. I have a 12 year old PLASMA and that never gets screen burns yet LCD LED and OLED do . I do remember many years back we had Picture in Picture tech in VHS machines yet the CRT TVs never got screen burn i used mine as a monitor for making VHS Films from my S-VHS Camera Yet 21st century getting screen burn why ?? Ah yes cheap Chinese TVs well what do you expect ? But from QLED/OLED even worse by the way where are these TVs made ??
You do not need to freeze frame to get image retention on OLED. Static logos from some TV channels are a pain,

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
You do not need to freeze frame to get image retention on OLED. Static logos from some TV channels are a pain,
you paying \ lot of money and that what happens is not great is it / (static logos like Amazon) I just bought a late 2007 LG 50 PLASMA for £70 it works well only problem black is going a bit . This si normal fro such an old TV but the clours are very good even better than my 42 2009 Panasonic PLASMA . Only the 46 ich 2010 top of the range is better. Would i buy a OLED/QLED or HDR ? no way PLASMA are still better by far . And a lot cheaper compare £1000 plus against £70 is easy. I would love to kn ow how long those OLEDs will last ? My previous Toshiba 40 LCD lasted 2 and a half years and paid £400 for it. and the screen went a bit funny double images and ghosting and then bang . In my view TVs have not improved much in 10 years in fact gone backwards. look at £2k for a QLED that m ay last 3/4 years against a £2k Plasma 50 inch lasting 12 years what is the better value. If i had the money i buy a KURO the best TVs ever made but far too expensive ,even now are £500 for a 8 year old as new TV . maybe one day i gert one a lot cheaper. Strange they still come up for sale "new" on Ebay even today

D

Deleted member 2457

you paying \ lot of money and that what happens is not great is it / (static logos like Amazon) I just bought a late 2007 LG 50 PLASMA for £70 it works well only problem black is going a bit . This si normal fro such an old TV but the clours are very good even better than my 42 2009 Panasonic PLASMA . Only the 46 ich 2010 top of the range is better. Would i buy a OLED/QLED or HDR ? no way PLASMA are still better by far . And a lot cheaper compare £1000 plus against £70 is easy. I would love to kn ow how long those OLEDs will last ? My previous Toshiba 40 LCD lasted 2 and a half years and paid £400 for it. and the screen went a bit funny double images and ghosting and then bang . In my view TVs have not improved much in 10 years in fact gone backwards. look at £2k for a QLED that m ay last 3/4 years against a £2k Plasma 50 inch lasting 12 years what is the better value. If i had the money i buy a KURO the best TVs ever made but far too expensive ,even now are £500 for a 8 year old as new TV . maybe one day i gert one a lot cheaper. Strange they still come up for sale "new" on Ebay even today
Panasonic plasmas come up very cheap on AVF and they are not as old as a Kuro.

D

Deleted member 2457

The last Kuros was around 2012 they was still new then the best PLASMA TVs made by a mile Even the last top of the range Panasonic was not as good The audio on the KUROS was superb even B and O was not as good audio wise
2009 they were last bought brand new actually, here’s a review of the last model in 2008:

I had the last Pioneer gen and one before then too and Panasonic plasmas were just as good and besides for the Kuro’s you had to buy the speakers extra costing hundreds and the stands Panasonic was cheaper and better having owned many of each brand including the best ones.

D

Deleted member 2457

Even OLED has been beaten now by 8K QLED TVs and no screen burn either.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
2009 they were last bought brand new actually, here’s a review of the last model in 2008:

I had the last Pioneer gen and one before then too and Panasonic plasmas were just as good and besides for the Kuro’s you had to buy the speakers extra costing hundreds and the stands Panasonic was cheaper and better having owned many of each brand including the best ones.
I have had a Pioneer 43 inch panel 720P last year this had a superb speaker system it worked great this was a 2005 model i bought last year this was replaced by the 42 2009 Panasonic (now for sale ) and the 46 Panasonic 2010. There is no doubt the 2010 model is better not quite the LX model but nearly as good . Now have the LG 2008 model which is pretty good just those blacks i keep that until something better comes my way. i was tempted to get a 65 inch LCD 2019 model HDR Samsung ? at £450 but felt that was too big for my bedroom

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
No OLEDs match the motion of plasmas. I watch a lot of sport so motion is important to me.
Its strange sir but i agree the question is why? most of them are 60hz (PLASMA) is it the quality of electronics inside ? over 2 years now have owned 4 PLASMA this one is the LG 50 inch 2008 model yes its not bad at all but does have a problem with "black" then again 12 years old no surprise. Other downside no USB slots or real internet connection at all ie no upgrades facility now The Panasonic 2010 can be connected to the net but not the WWW as a whole shame that but can connect to AMAZON and NETFLIX ie not intelligent TV

Paul.

Have a search for “plasma sub field drive”. To prevent light decay, plasma pixels pulse on and off, generally better panels pulse a little faster. A 60 hz panel usually pulses 10 times per frame, this is what gives plasma its smoothness. Control of this pulsing also gave the later generation of plasma arguably better close to black performance than early OLED (my knowledge is a few years out of date so this might not be true anymore). Early OLED had quite crushed blacks as it struggles with just above switched off levels of black.

It all depends on what you want to do with your tv. My Dad watches a lot of standard def football on his Kuro, so there isn’t much out there that can better his tv for this application. For movie watching with the best sources available I’d expect the Q90 I’ve got in a box downstairs waiting for Christmas to beat it soundly.

Reactions: Deleted member 2457
D

Deleted member 2457

Have a search for “plasma sub field drive”. To prevent light decay, plasma pixels pulse on and off, generally better panels pulse a little faster. A 60 hz panel usually pulses 10 times per frame, this is what gives plasma its smoothness. Control of this pulsing also gave the later generation of plasma arguably better close to black performance than early OLED (my knowledge is a few years out of date so this might not be true anymore). Early OLED had quite crushed blacks as it struggles with just above switched off levels of black.

It all depends on what you want to do with your tv. My Dad watches a lot of standard def football on his Kuro, so there isn’t much out there that can better his tv for this application. For movie watching with the best sources available I’d expect the Q90 I’ve got in a box downstairs waiting for Christmas to beat it soundly.
Especially 4K and HDR.

ron.hoare

Nov 13, 2021
Visit site
Hi

Clearly LG has lied about the problem with OLED. Mine failed in 2 years and neither the retailer, John Lewis, or LG are currently prepared to do anything.

I am going to pursue John Lewis on the basis that the product they sold was and is unfit for purpose. Please feel free to join me in this cause.

Thanks

Ron

ron.hoare

Nov 13, 2021
Visit site
Hi

I thought I had explained. LG OLED screens don't work for long. The red in particular fails across most of the screen within about 5,000 hours. This is rather fewer than the 100,000 hours claimed by LG.

Ron

Hi

I thought I had explained. LG OLED screens don't work for long. The red in particular fails across most of the screen within about 5,000 hours. This is rather fewer than the 100,000 hours claimed by LG.

Ron
People have managed to get the screen replaced. This thread may help you pursue the case with John Lewis (that person lives in the US though).

D

Deleted member 196519

Hi

Clearly LG has lied about the problem with OLED. Mine failed in 2 years and neither the retailer, John Lewis, or LG are currently prepared to do anything.

I am going to pursue John Lewis on the basis that the product they sold was and is unfit for purpose. Please feel free to join me in this cause.

Thanks

Ron
Say you will pay for a new screen from LG and it will cost roughly £250.

ron.hoare

Nov 13, 2021
Visit site
Hi

Thanks for your reply, but here in the UK I'm not inclined to meet the retailer part way on this. It is the retailers job to prove that the product they sell is fit for purpose. LG just isn't involved (liable) and as such they have no reason to respond to direct contact from a purchaser. As such the more information that I am collecting from around the world from people who have had the same problems after a relatively short period of ownership, the better my chances when we go to court.

Best wishes

Ron

Hi

Thanks for your reply, but here in the UK I'm not inclined to meet the retailer part way on this. It is the retailers job to prove that the product they sell is fit for purpose. LG just isn't involved (liable) and as such they have no reason to respond to direct contact from a purchaser. As such the more information that I am collecting from around the world from people who have had the same problems after a relatively short period of ownership, the better my chances when we go to court.

Best wishes

Ron
If the product is more than 6 months old, it is the consumer who needs to prove the product isn't fit for purpose. It is not an unreasonable expectation that the product should last at least 5-6 years.

ron.hoare

Nov 13, 2021
Visit site
Thank you

Here in the UK my product has a 5 year guarantee, but with a disclaimer that it doesn't include burn in, with specific comment regarding station ident. As we have seen from so many screen shots, station ident just isn't the problem; it's the general failure of red over most of the screen. Station ident burn in is the current reason my retailer is rejecting my claim, but I don't have that. This is the basis of my UK claim.

Best wishes

Ron

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I do have the odd nap in front of a movie and wake up at the title screen 😬. How much of an issue is screen burn? Do I need to be worried?

Oled panels have protection mechanisms to reduce risk of any burn-in and they are found in all OLED TVs regardless of the manufacturer.
The best way to prevent burn-in or image retention on Oled TVs is to avoid static images. Leaving a programme paused on screen for several hours a day would lead to burn-in. My LG CX has a screen saver feature that turns on automatically if the TV detects a static image is displayed on screen after a couple of minutes. LG Oled panels also have options in the menu settings. The screen shift feature moves the screen slightly regularly so logos do not stay on the same pixel for the duration of the programme or movie. You have a logo luminance adjustment on screen to reduce the brightness around the logo to prevent image retention. The big one is the pixel refresher which kicks in after every 2000 hours to reset the pixels. The most important thing to do when owning a Oled TV is to never turn off the power at the wall - once you have clocked up 4 hours of content and you power off the TV with the remote, a cycle kicks in for ten minutes to clean the TV. My recommendation are to always power off the TV with the remote every 4 hours for 20 minutes to do the cycle. Vary content as much as possible. Keep subtitles off. If you game a lot, head over to YouTube for ten minutes after you finish gaming, and play some HDR content with no logos to really get those pixels working.

A good investment can be the Apple 4K box that allows you to cut out logos! I use this whenever I watch the boxing on Dazn, BT Sports and Sky Sports. Truth be told Oled panels from 2019 onwards are unlikely to get burn-in due to the new protection mechanisms.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts