OLED or 4K can now afford both, but which one of these two

toonboy

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi I am thinking of getting a new tv , currently have a 55 sony w905 ,3/4 years old but very good,

my lounge is 16x12 , I am thinking of going oled ,but then will i regret not going 4k , cant afford the current 4k oled sets, 55 is a perfect size for us but could go to 65 inch, the lg 930/910 sets look good so does the samsung 55j 8500, what would you guys go for , its one or the other im afraid,it will be wall mounted and played through an a/v system, we are generally 10 feet from the screen in a dim room that is not affected by sunlight , mainly watch sky in hd and blurays. 4 ktv looks a long way off .

thanks gary

toonboy

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
what is uled and yes would be prepered to wait but 4k is a long way off without some expensive subscription, picture quality is main thing , thanks guys

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Don't see why there is so much hype around oled atm considering its price. 4k hdr content would look miles better than 1080p on an oled.

Bigboss will probably quote me saying standards haven't been finalised yet..well few more months and you can experience it! I got my Samsung 8500 for cheaper than even a 1080p oled that's saying something..oled is ripoff atm prices need to come way down for the masses to invesr and prices won't shift noticeably until Samsung and Sony start making them so prices have to be competitive

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
OLED prices aren't as rip off as they should be considering they're already competing with LCD prices. Don't buy it at launch price, just wait for the prices to fall. Gel got his 55-inch 1080p OLED for around £1700.
Yep, OLED prices are great especially since they recently got discounted again. Panasonic will be doing cheaper ones in 2-3 year times too. A 50-inch Pioneer flagship used to cost £3000 when new, you can get a flagship LG 4K OLED 55-inch for £2250! 4K will come down too and it's only £1450 for a new LG Oled 1080p 55-inch, some recently got it much cheaper. 65-inches is cheap too but is a bit more expensive at nearly £4000. Currys just got stock back in for the 65 flat 4K Oled at £3600.

toonboy

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
had a look at a few tvs today, and really liked the samsung eu 65 9000 suhd , but also like the 65 lg oled 4k tv , i think it could be between these two ,but i am going to walt a bit longer, as in a few months these could be reduced as newer models come out .

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
toonboy said:
are you happy with your samsung , and in your opinion is it as good a picture as an oled ,thanks

yes it is a good tv! wont be as good as a 4k oled obviously as they are a lot more expensive anyway. i paid £1468 for mine. it's better than a 1080p OLED if you plan to watch 4k (sorry gel)

nugget2014 said:
toonboy said:
are you happy with your samsung , and in your opinion is it as good a picture as an oled ,thanks

yes it is a good tv! wont be as good as a 4k oled obviously as they are a lot more expensive anyway. i paid £1468 for mine. it's better than a 1080p OLED if you plan to watch 4k (sorry gel)

4K TV won't be better than 1080p if you want to watch 4K, it would be the only option as 1080p TV will not play 4K!

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
nugget2014 said:
toonboy said:

4K TV won't be better than 1080p if you want to watch 4K, it would be the only option as 1080p TV will not play 4K!
what I meant was if you plan on doing any 4k viewing at all. If I meant he would only watch 4k material then yes it is a no brainer but some people might watch a little bit of 4k just for the sake if it after buying the 4k TV but it isn't a priority to them but watch 1080p sources most of the time such as blu rays. If you have to ask the question if you want 4k or not nobody can really help you but yourself. To anyone asking this question, are you willing to adopt a new format, get new equipment, spend even more money on uhd blu rays as they will have a premium. I have never seen an oled in action so can't comment on them but they are overhyped it seems. The only thing they have over led are angles and blacks being pure black?

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
If money wasn't an issue and I could afford £2500 for a TV I would get 65" JS8500. Was tempted to return my Samsung for a 65" Sony for an extra 200 as bigger is always better! You can't go wrong with many tvs now just do research. I did it myself which gave me the information to not even consider a Panasonic or LG this year. I wouldn't get the uled myself as the TV slopes back at the top which is weird.

nugget2014 said:
I have never seen an oled in action so can't comment on them but they are overhyped it seems. The only thing they have over led are angles and blacks being pure black?

No it isn't overhyped. Self emitting pixels will always be superior to backlight. That's science.

It's not just about the blackness of blacks. Deeper blacks give a wider contrast, making the pictures "pop". The difference is significant.

toonboy

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
i wont be watching much 4k as there is not much about and wont be for a while so it will be mostly blurays and sky hd channels and freeview hd channels, i thought the oled would be better for what i need , so when it comes down in price i will get one , but i may as well get one with 4k just so i have it for the future.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
nugget2014 said:
I have never seen an oled in action so can't comment on them but they are overhyped it seems. The only thing they have over led are angles and blacks being pure black?

No it isn't overhyped. Self emitting pixels will always be superior to backlight. That's science.

It's not just about the blackness of blacks. Deeper blacks give a wider contrast, making the pictures "pop". The difference is significant.

and significant better shadow detail with oled I might add.

toonboy

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
After starting this thread I have been doing my home work , as advised by you knowledgeable people, I have read hundreds of reviews and been looking in John Lewis and Richer sounds ,and have decided to wait till april- may time to see what new tvs are released and if some current ones get reduced, and also I have a policy coming up in april so I can afford a decent one , and i have decided to get a 65 tv and think it will be a oled , but also liked the samsung 65 8500/9000,the wife will only let me spend up to £3000, so the oled will be a bit of a push but i guess that is the best tv up to £4000,then i will go a bit more to get it, the panny oled is far to dear so it looks like lg oled , but picture quality is my main concern.

D

Deleted member 2457

toonboy said:
After starting this thread I have been doing my home work , as advised by you knowledgeable people, I have read hundreds of reviews and been looking in John Lewis and Richer sounds ,and have decided to wait till april- may time to see what new tvs are released and if some current ones get reduced, and also I have a policy coming up in april so I can afford a decent one , and i have decided to get a 65 tv and think it will be a oled , but also liked the samsung 65 8500/9000,the wife will only let me spend up to £3000, so the oled will be a bit of a push but i guess that is the best tv up to £4000,then i will go a bit more to get it, the panny oled is far to dear so it looks like lg oled , but picture quality is my main concern.
I think I am looking at the new ones too and hopefully John Lewis will stock them. I also have a budget of around £3000.

D

Deleted member 2457

toonboy said:
do you think the oled is better than the samsungs , they get great reviews , and do you think your lg is better thanks.
Oled is definitely better than the Samsungs. Mine is great for 1080p TV but won't do 4K. It is better for 1080p though than the Samsung.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
gel said:
toonboy said:
do you think the oled is better than the samsungs , they get great reviews , and do you think your lg is better thanks.
Oled is definitely better than the Samsungs. Mine is great for 1080p TV but won't do 4K. It is better for 1080p though than the Samsung.

that's debateable. i have seen so many people praise the js8500's upscaling of 1080p blu rays and they say it looks better than 4k streaming. and i myself can say 1080p looks veryyy good. we would need side by side comparison!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts