Older titles on Blu Ray

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having brought a PS3 and HD tv, I must admit I am very happy with my purchases. The DVD upscaler on the PS3 gives the picture a very crisp look, although it is no-where near as good as BD!

My question is, are older titles on BD better quality than their DVD counterparts? For instance, I have Face/off on DVD and it looks perfectly fine when played through my PS3. Will the BD version of the same title look any better, or are the film companies just trying to make more money out of people? Face/off is £4.99 on DVD, but £17.99 on BD (play.com prices), I would expect to see a noticeable increase in quality to justify the extra £12!!

A

Anonymous

Depends on a number of factors, but I would do serious research before buying a new copy on blu-ray.

The quality of the print they are pressing from, the way it is implemented and the size of your telly are all factors.

The PS3 does such a good with dvd's that if the dvd copy is good to begin with and your tv is less than 40" then you may not tell any difference with a blu-ray copy.

I'm currently pondering whether its worth upgrading my Spiderman dvd's, think I will get the Die Hard's as I havn't owned them since video and it goes without saying that Bladerunner is a must, just which edition.

I really want The Thing, my favourite, but it's only on HD-DVD at the moment.

A

Anonymous

So there's no easy way to tell? I must admit, I watched 300 on BD yesterday and I was struggling to notice much of an icrease in quality over an upscaled DVD on my 32" Samsung. The pic did look slightly sharper and there was more detail but it didn't blow me away like I expected.

A

Anonymous

How many times can you watch Face Off without wanting to shoot John Travolta yourself, in the head?

There must a be a law of diminishing returns here. If you've already watched a film a dozen times on DVD are you seriously going to buy the HD/BD version just to have it on your shelf?

The first time I watch a film in the Cinema is the best, and the first time I watch it at home is pretty much up there with that first cinema viewing. The next three times are great fun and after that, the most pleasure for me is when I get to what a film with a friend who's never seen it before. I feed off their excitement and pleasure. But once the film's been seen a dozen times, it just sits on the shelf, I'm happy to know it's there but it's sort of had it's time. I can't understand why at that stage in the game, you'd think of upgrading it rather than spending the money on a new release, that all of the above scenarios have yet to be played out on.

A

Anonymous

I see your point, but if the quality of a BD title was VASTLY superior to its DVD counterpart, it would have at least been worth considering replacing your favourite titles. Judging by the quality of 300 I watched yesterday it doesn't seem that much better to warrent spending the extra £15 replacing my favourite titles as you don't see that mucg improvement in quality. I think you've hit the nail on the head, just buy new titles you haven't already got an BD.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="timberflake"]

So there's no easy way to tell? I must admit, I watched 300 on BD yesterday and I was struggling to notice much of an icrease in quality over an upscaled DVD on my 32" Samsung. The pic did look slightly sharper and there was more detail but it didn't blow me away like I expected.

[/quote]

I rented 300 on blu-ray the other day, picture was good but not outstanding on my 42", I think it's the grainy look of the film that holds it back a bit. Havn't seen the dvd but wouldn't expect it to be that much worse but I may be wrong.

Also sorry to say this but I don't think you will ever notice much difference on a 32" screen over a well upscaled dvd.

A

Anonymous

Excellent Hi-Fi nut. Lets save some money and not make some hideously rich actors any wealthier than they need to be.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Talking of Face/Off, has anyone else noticed that a disproportionate number of Nicolas Cage films are available in high-def? (Blu-ray and HD DVD). It's starting to weird us out....

A

Anonymous

It because he's an Elvis fan and Elvis as we all know is capable of many things from beyond the grave!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Not that Elvis is dead, obviously...
emotion-1.gif

My favourite headline about Cage was when he married Lisa-Marie Presley: something along the lines of 'Cage bags ultimate in Elvis memorabilia'.

An alternative theory to yours, Will, is a superhero spin: Cage has, after all, called his youngest son Kal-El...

A

Anonymous

Ha! And he visited a medium to ask Elvis for permission before marrying Lisa-Marie the first time around. The useless bits of info we pick up, eh!

A

Anonymous

300 is a bad example for PQ as the director chose to add grain to cover up the all the green screen work.

now for superb older movies you should check out the warriors, evil dead 2, halloween. All of these look unbelievable for there age

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts