Old mid price versus new budget amp

Saint Nick

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
I have a Arcam CD73 and Monitor Audio RS6 speakers. I am currently running these off a Yamaha AV amp. I want to buy a dedicated hi-fi amp. Unfortunately budget not huge so would I be better to Cambridge Audio 650a or an older Arcam Diva A85 or Marantz PM7003.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Saint Nick:
I have a Arcam CD73 and Monitor Audio RS6 speakers. I am currently running these off a Yamaha AV amp. I want to buy a dedicated hi-fi amp. Unfortunately budget not huge so would I be better to Cambridge Audio 650a or an older Arcam Diva A85 or Marantz PM7003.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

The A85 is a great amp, and can be picked up for £250-£300.

A

Anonymous

With those speakers I would def look at various Arcam combos. The better the amp or the addition of a biamping power, the better!

A

Anonymous

If you dont mind old, I got my Pioneer SA-9800 for £275 (mint condition) .... I would have to spend a lot of money to better this IMHO

Loads of bargains out there on the older gear (Sansui, Technics, Pioneer, Yamaha, Marantz)

If I were to buy something a bit more modern (but still old), I would have a close look at Musical Fidelity (MF) amps .... they are pretty good but a bit pricey

A

Anonymous

I agree with Joel. The Arcam A85 at £250-300 is way better than any new budget amp in that price group. In fact, I think you'll have to spend at least £800 or so to better it. I got mine for just under £250 and am extremely happy.

Given the expected synergy with the CD73 and the possibility of adding a P85 in the future it's a no brainer, in my view.

Hedgehog

JoelSim:

I think the A85 will comfortably outlast the CD73 for performance.

....and you have a useful upgrade path to a 192. You can get a CD192 off ebay for a around £400, but I would prefer keeping your own CD73 and spend the extra £150 or so and upgrading the machine YOU know, as opposed to one that could of been playing 14 hours a day for 5 years scenario.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts