Old but gold Theta transport and processor

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
On a recent visit to my dealer to pick up a used Arcam CD192 I spotted a 1991/94 Theta Transport with accompanying processor.
( Theta Data Basic II Transport and DS Pro Progeny Processor/DAC ).

Ended up doing a shootout there and then between the Theta and the Arcam and within a few minutes It was obvious there was no competition.
I immediately dropped any notions of purchasing the Arcam and purchased the Theta instead.

Obviously the Theta kit is of a higher end compared to the Arcam but it's considerably older.
On paper the Arcam reads much better with its 24/192 upsampling
and its 4 Wolfson WM8740 DACs but the listening told a very very different story.

The Theta combo dished the music up in a manner that left the Arcam for dust.
Wonderful dynamics and great body to the sound. The Arcam sounding thin and rather impotent in comparison.

As far as I'm aware the CD192 is considered to be one of Arcam's finest CDP's, its onboard DAC performance being its feauture of note, and I was all set to buy it.

Basically I'm just very surprised at how good the Theta sounded in comparison.

Anyone got any opinions on this or any enlightenment on how an 18 Bit DAC from 1994 can sound so good?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Alberich said:
On a recent visit to my dealer to pick up a used Arcam CD192 I spotted a 1991/94 Theta Transport with accompanying processor. ( Theta Data Basic II Transport and DS Pro Progeny Processor/DAC ).

Ended up doing a shootout there and then between the Theta and the Arcam and within a few minutes It was obvious there was no competition. I immediately dropped any notions of purchasing the Arcam and purchased the Theta instead.

Obviously the Theta kit is of a higher end compared to the Arcam but it's considerably older. On paper the Arcam reads much better with its 24/192 upsampling and its 4 Wolfson WM8740 DACs but the listening told a very very different story.

The Theta combo dished the music up in a manner that left the Arcam for dust. Wonderful dynamics and great body to the sound. The Arcam sounding thin and rather impotent in comparison.

As far as I'm aware the CD192 is considered to be one of Arcam's finest CDP's, its onboard DAC performance being its feauture of note, and I was all set to buy it.

Anyone got any opinions on this or any enlightenment on how an 18 Bit DAC from 1994 can sound so good?

I've owned several Arcam CDP's over the years and as good as they are, I'm not surprised the Theta was markedly better... I nearly bought one of their DACS recently, but was offered the PS Audio DL3 instead.

Enjoy your purchase!

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Macspur said:
Alberich said:
On a recent visit to my dealer to pick up a used Arcam CD192 I spotted a 1991/94 Theta Transport with accompanying processor. ( Theta Data Basic II Transport and DS Pro Progeny Processor/DAC ).

Ended up doing a shootout there and then between the Theta and the Arcam and within a few minutes It was obvious there was no competition. I immediately dropped any notions of purchasing the Arcam and purchased the Theta instead.

Obviously the Theta kit is of a higher end compared to the Arcam but it's considerably older. On paper the Arcam reads much better with its 24/192 upsampling and its 4 Wolfson WM8740 DACs but the listening told a very very different story.

The Theta combo dished the music up in a manner that left the Arcam for dust. Wonderful dynamics and great body to the sound. The Arcam sounding thin and rather impotent in comparison.

I've owned several Arcam CDP's over the years and as good as they are, I'm not surprised the Theta was markedly better... I nearly bought one of their DACS recently, but was offered the PS Audio DL3 instead.

Enjoy your purchase!

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

The Theta kit was a class or two above Arcam when first released, I am not surprised it still sounds good today. I used a Theta DAC until a few years ago and it's class kit.

Like all digital gear being new isn't necessarily going to make it the best sounding as it's not all down to how modern the DAC chip is.

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Appreciate the feedback lads.

Bought it with the possibility of upgrading the DAC if necessary as the Transport seems of very high quality.
But I'm bowled over by the performance of this Processor/DAC.
The Transport and DAC seem to work wonderfully together so I'll be leaving as is for some time I imagine.

Sometimes when you hear a sound you just have to have it and all expectations or age related concerns go out the window.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts