Odd colour glitches in bright scenes

tomcrane

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I have a Panasonic TX-P42ST50B Plasma TV and a Panasonic SC-BTT590 Home Cinema Blu-ray System.

Recently a problem has developed, and I’m not sure whether the TV is at fault or the Blu-ray player. At first it happened very rarely but now it happens quite a lot. The problem only occurs when the source is a Blu-ray – it doesn’t occur when the TV is playing HD Freeview broadcasts, or regular broadcasts, or Netflix. I’ve also never seen it when the source is a DVD in the Blu-ray player – only 1080p sources.

The problem occurs in bight scenes only, but now pretty regularly. The picture breaks up – the colours appear inverted or just plain wrong and the TV appears to lose track of the input source, popping up the source info overlay as if you had just changed from one input to another, as if the signal from the Blu-ray was breaking up.

A video demonstrate this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JptnxDoMwo

Does anyone know what this problem is? It's not confined to a particualr Blu-ray, it's bright scenes in any blu-ray. The TV and the player were both bought last November and are still under guarantee but I’m not looking forward to having to take them back to the shop.

D

Deleted member 2457

tomcrane said:
I have a Panasonic TX-P42ST50B Plasma TV and a Panasonic SC-BTT590 Home Cinema Blu-ray System.

Recently a problem has developed, and I’m not sure whether the TV is at fault or the Blu-ray player. At first it happened very rarely but now it happens quite a lot. The problem only occurs when the source is a Blu-ray – it doesn’t occur when the TV is playing HD Freeview broadcasts, or regular broadcasts, or Netflix. I’ve also never seen it when the source is a DVD in the Blu-ray player – only 1080p sources.

The problem occurs in bight scenes only, but now pretty regularly. The picture breaks up – the colours appear inverted or just plain wrong and the TV appears to lose track of the input source, popping up the source info overlay as if you had just changed from one input to another, as if the signal from the Blu-ray was breaking up.

A video demonstrate this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JptnxDoMwo

Does anyone know what this problem is? It's not confined to a particualr Blu-ray, it's bright scenes in any blu-ray. The TV and the player were both bought last November and are still under guarantee but I’m not looking forward to having to take them back to the shop.

Looks like your Blu-ray player has a fault. You should be able to get an exchange or if the problem persists a refund.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
The fact that it only happens with blu-rays suggests either a faulty hdmi cable, or there is a problem with the blu-ray lens/assembly.

Borrow a friends blu-ray player and see if it still happens, and try a certified high speed hdmi cable. If neither fixes the problem then its probably the tv.

BD players have 2 lenses - 1 for dvds and 1 for blu-rays, so that could point to why theres no problem with DVDs. Also a faulty cable might only show up under high bandwidth (blu-rays).

tomcrane

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Many thanks for that, all makes sense. I didn't know about the two lenses.

I've now tried another Blu-ray player and another cable and it looks like it's the player. An older Sony Blu-ray player with the same cable in the same HDMI port on the TV is fine.

Just for completeness I'd like to try one last test - the Panasonic player with a different TV. Will try and do that this week.

D

Deleted member 2457

I have seen similar problems before, and that was caused by the Blu-ray player. My Pioneer 70a glitched when first loading like that, but then settled down to play. It was similar but I think that problem was caused by it being one of the first Blu-ray players. One thing you could do is check that it has up to date firmware on it, that could help.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like a faulty blue ray player but
AnotherJoe said:
there is a problem with the blu-ray lens/assembly.

...how would the lens assembly know whether the scene is bright or dark?

But it still sounds like a faulty blu ray player to me.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Check a highspeed HDMI cable as well.

The Panny may be trying to interpolate 'deep color' which could result in a higher bandwidth requirement than the 'old Sony', and so show up any deficiency in the cable.

tomcrane

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Many thanks for all the suggestions.

To complicate matters:

I've now tried the Blu-ray player with the same HDMI cable on a different display (an NEC monitor) and it did NOT exhibit the glitching in bright scenes.

So from my very limited set of combinations, it's only the Panasonic Player and the Panasonic TV together that exhibit the problem: the player with another display doesn't, and the TV with another player doesn't.

Tom

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts