Now I know how my system sounds at full blast

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:
Insider, I am not sure if you still use the Roest but my H90 goes all the way up to 99 with little or no compression and it also starts at 30. - Good to know they calibrate their amps properly. As a side note, it's rated at a measly 60 watts but sounds considerably more authorative and powerful than the Cyrus.

Sounds excellent too, it’s an incredible amp. Makes you wonder why anyone could possibly need more power. Big floorstanders in a large room I suppose. There’s certainly no issue with the level of control the H90 offers either.

insider9

MajorFubar said:
The one thing I hate about the DM10s: no volume indication whatsoever. If there was a button on the remote which zapped the volume down to minimum, or if they at least powered-up at minimum, either of those things would be useful. I'm waiting for the day when I forget to turn them off and some clown sits on the remote long enough to put the volume at max, then when I next play some music I'll blow the ceiling away.
That's sound like a gentle hint I'm not welcome for a demo anymore :)

But it's a rather not well though out setup. Is there a way to set max volume?

I've realised since that Airplay cannot override max volume settings of an amp. Must've reset it as it myself as probably set it too low before. If I've left it lets say on 80 (max) my ears wouldn't be ringing anymore. Now adjusted the settings in both Roon and on amp.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:

lol you're always welcome to a demo Insider, you know where to find me if you ever fancy a trip out. And no, there isn't a method to limit the maximum volume.

insider9

MajorFubar said:
insider9 said:

lol you're always welcome to a demo Insider, you know where to find me if you ever fancy a trip out. And no, there isn't a method to limit the maximum volume.
****** that's not good, about max volume that is :)

Thanks, Major. You're also very welcome at mine.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Just the other night I was listening to music in my shed/man cave until about 2.15 with my father. The system is a set of Mackie Mr6 mk3s with a marantz av receiver as a preamp. Long story short my old man liked the receiver and has no remote control on his kit so I gave it to him

I setup a Sony av receiver that I bought for a future project. The marantz counts down on its vol control from maybe -40 to zero then goes to about 16 in the plus for full volume, the Sony doesn't, it counts down to just zero. When I turned it on everything screamed and I switched it off. It was crazy loud, I was full sure the monitors would be blown apart.

I was lucky because I only have the monitors set at half volume as this is plenty loud enough but gives me better volume control via the amp due the smaller increment.

I don't think the speakers or my ear drums would be intact if they were set to full

Webern

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
My amp has a default volume of 65 which I find absurdly loud - not ear-splitting but enough to make me jump. The max is 99 - I believe every 9 higher means twice as loud. We have minor power cuts quite often as we live a bit off the beaten track, so it returns to default quite a lot and it always seems to catch me out and I find myself scrambling to turn it down. Neighbours aren't really a problem here but I've never tried 99, as I don't want structural damage to my hearing if not the house.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts