Now I know how my system sounds at full blast

insider9

Ok, so yesterday I decided to setup Roon on Linux. Wanted to try if Linux is better for audio than Windows. Hardware can handle anything I throw at it so it wasn't to do with lack of resources but curiosity.

When sending signal from PC to amp via Airplay (wired) sound quality was poor. I decided to try it running Roon server on Ubuntu playing Jimi Hendrix.

Swapped zone to Airplay. Amp switched automatically but Roon was set to full volume. As such amp started playing at full blast *shok* Took a few seconds to reach for a remote and press mute. And now I know Hegel goes up to 99.

Equipment is fine. I'm shocked and slightly shaking with ringing in my ears. Hahaha

Anyone else "tried" to see how loud their systems go?

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Nope. Too many horror stories. I've only gone to about one o'clock. Luckily that's as loud as it's ever needed to go, was probably a quiet recording as normally I'm between 8 and 10:30 :)

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I cant even get my system up beyond 20% without the volume becoming VERY excessive. I'd hate to think what it'd be like at 100%.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
around 15 or so years ago, I managed once or twice to get my system up to club levels (around 110db or so), it was in the summer and I had my windows open, got a complaint not from nextdoor but someone at the other end of the street.

no chance of repeating that now, neighbour has the hearing of a bat and complains if I fart too loud so I have to enjoy my 9.2 (thats nine speakers plus two subs) 800w home cinema system at lower levels that I would like too until he moves out (been waiting over 8 years for that).

*music2*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
My Yamaha A-S3000 is different on the volume then the Yamaha A-S2100 was which went up quite quick but when I press the volume up on the Yamaha A-S3000 it goes in small steps but if you hold the button down it gains 10 or 20 Watts and turns into a monster so much so I give my wife a scare and she spilt her coffee over the floor .

I thought it was funny and said ****** me that’s loud and she just looked at me not impressed

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Weirdly my amp's volume is numbered in reverse, 100 being far anticlockwise & 0 far clockwise. In spite of logic dictating otherwise I assumed the volume control was anticlockwise for up
So when I first started it up it was set to 0 which is full volume.
It was very loud but the speakers survived

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Never been tempted but my daughter pushed my PMC Fact 12’s to “11 o’clock” on my old Devialet 800. I have never moved so fast in all my life, but it was pure slow motion. My boy does it all the time with my second system, but the equipment doesn’t seem to mind.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
Anyone else "tried" to see how loud their systems go?

Yes I've had similar accidents before when installing a new component. Nothing but silence and I can't work out what's wrong with it. After 10 minutes of fiddling I change a setting on my PC and suddenly everything is fullblast!

Doesn't half make you jump.

insider9

nopiano said:
Sounds like an ear-bending and heart-stopping moment!  

My Primare is very polite. It always switches on at 20, which is background level, regardless how loud the input source is playing.  Good design.  
My Hegel starts at 30 and I though I had set max to 60. However Airplay decides have their own volume setting and can control amp volume. Roon was set to fixed volume... :(

I was half way through a track. Switched zone and amp switched to Network and adjusted the volume to what Roon told it too which was Max. Like others have said slow mo, heart stopping whatever you want to call it. Instant panic. I unplugged the amp from network now.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
And it is already party loud. I never knew how loud it was, till one day I landed on my floor, and once the elevator door opened, the music sounded loud from almost 50 ft away. Luckily no other tenants on my floor so far. My wife is aching for company. And iam enjoying the solitude :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Insider, I am not sure if you still use the Roest but my H90 goes all the way up to 99 with little or no compression and it also starts at 30. - Good to know they calibrate their amps properly. As a side note, it's rated at a measly 60 watts but sounds considerably more authorative and powerful than the Cyrus.

insider9

I do still use the Rost. That's why the whole thing happened as tried to Airplay directly to amp. And Airplay allows for amp volume control.

From memory HFC measured it at 91W with 75W specs. It doesn't lose composure at high volume. I actually prefer it at higher volume and it sound more powerful than that. But don't remember ever listening to it higher than 65. That's with high dynamic range tracks and DSP that attenuates the signal.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
I do still use the Rost. That's why the whole thing happened as tried to Airplay directly to amp. And Airplay allows for amp volume control.

From memory HFC measured it at 91W with 75W specs. It doesn't lose composure at high volume. I actually prefer it at higher volume and it sound more powerful than that. But don't remember ever listening to it higher than 65. That's with high dynamic range tracks and DSP that attenuates the signal.

I wish you could have listened to my old h360
Was not all about total volume but all the in-between parts and a very black background.

Btw I thought you'd brought the h190?

insider9

Andrewjvt said:
insider9 said:

Was not all about total volume but all the in-between parts and a very black background.

No, I haven't gone that way in the end. But yes agree on the black background. I wish I've listened to it too. From most people here I think you're one of the closest to where I live. If you fancy a listen to Rost let me know.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:
Diamond Joe said:
How are your ears today?
They're more or less ok, thanks. Only slight ringing.
That’s good. Gives us an idea of how loud you went though, ouch! I think only Status Quo (I know, I know...) live in nineteen eighty something or other left me with ears ringing for more than 24 hours, I was right at the front though.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
Andrewjvt said:
insider9 said:

No, I haven't gone that way in the end. But yes agree on the black background. I wish I've listened to it too. From most people here I think you're one of the closest to where I live. If you fancy a listen to Rost let me know.

Thanks
I will do

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The one thing I hate about the DM10s: no volume indication whatsoever. If there was a button on the remote which zapped the volume down to minimum, or if they at least powered-up at minimum, either of those things would be useful. I'm waiting for the day when I forget to turn them off and some clown sits on the remote long enough to put the volume at max, then when I next play some music I'll blow the ceiling away.

TRENDING THREADS