Not sure what to buy: soundbar or wireless speaker?

Hi there,

Been looking for a premium but somewhat affordable wireless audiosystem which suits my needs. But I can't figure out what's best for me personally, so that's why I need your advice *clapping*

I'm in love with the Naim Mu-So wireless speaker (immediately gives you an impression of what price range I'm in), cause I'm a big music enthousiast and gadget geek that prefers quality over price. Review here: http://www.whathifi.com/naim/mu-so/review

Now here comes the dilemma. I want to use it as a soundbar for my tv as well (for daily use!). But since it (only) has digital optical input and no HDMI input, I wonder if it is actually the PERFECT choice?

For me personally if I'd go with a high-end soundbar, it should offer the same connectivity options as the Naim Mu-So: Bluetooth aptX, AirPlay, UPnP, WiFi, perhaps Spotify Connect etc.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Dennis VC said:
Hi there,

Been looking for a premium but somewhat affordable wireless audiosystem which suits my needs. But I can't figure out what's best for me personally, so that's why I need your advice *clapping*

I'm in love with the Naim Mu-So wireless speaker (immediately gives you an impression of what price range I'm in), cause I'm a big music enthousiast and gadget geek that prefers quality over price. Review here: http://www.whathifi.com/naim/mu-so/review

Now here comes the dilemma. I want to use it as a soundbar for my tv as well (for daily use!). But since it (only) has digital optical input and no HDMI input, I wonder if it is actually the PERFECT choice?

For me personally if I'd go with a high-end soundbar, it should offer the same connectivity options as the Naim Mu-So: Bluetooth aptX, AirPlay, UPnP, WiFi, perhaps Spotify Connect etc.

Take a look at the Mission Aero ... £199 at Richer Sounds - no HDMI though. The Maxell SBP3000 is pretty good for the price and has HDMI. You could get both a soundbar (with HDMI) for under the TV, and a couple of Sonos Play 1s in stereo configuration, all for around £500. Best of both worlds,

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Dennis VC said:
@ tino

I did not mean I am looking for a wireless speaker that looks like a soundbar (or vice versa). I actually want to know if there is any difference between a soundbar and a wireless speaker besides the design.

I have a soundbar for TV duties, and stereo hifi speakers for music. Soundbars sound a bit too compromised IMO for music, and I find the Muso too boxy sounding for my taste.
I went for soundbar (the Maxell I mentioned above) because of exactly the reason you mention - HDMI inputs (although it has no Dolby encoding) and it also has optical, aptx Bluetooth.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
PS The Muso does not support any multichannel formats through its optical input if you are thinking of hooking it up to your TV. That's a difference you will find when comparing it to some dedicated home theatre soundbars/soundbases.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts