Not satisfied with MA Rx 6. B&W 684 or CM 7 good?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Another vote for Dynaudio. If you can afford it, Excite X32 is amazing. If that's too pricey, check out the Excite X16. Another great speaker that I think you would like is the PMC TB2i.

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I have 683's not bright at all IMO But than I'm not shure your amp will be powerfull enough for them.....

But I also demoed before buying them the MS Mezzo 6&8

Even if I prefered the sound of the Bw's I think it's worth a shot I really liked the Mezzo 's but in my memory the 8 had slightly overwelming bass.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
WishTree said:
WishTree said:
I am getting a pair of these, though the Signature version, tomorrow. I will update tomorrow.

Just set them up and my wide smile tells every one how they perform. I know the edges are going to get rounded with running in them but they are what I am waiting for (atleast the first impressions at home!)

And how are the Tannoy's?

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
MA RX 8 i think already bright? It is bigger than the rx 6. Gives it a more full bodied sound without bright highes?

I demoed rx6 and rx8 powered by arcam a38 with a roksan Kandy k2 cd player as a source. I was disappointed with rx6 in this demo. After switching to rx8 the treble was smoother, the midrange was more open with better detail and the bass had more weight and a lot more detail. I wouldn't of parted with 800 for the rx6 but I was happy to spend 1050 on the rx8. I'm still very happy with them. This is just my view and lots of people will disagree which is not a problem as there is no right or wrong opinion. I'm not saying the 6 is a bad speaker it's just not for me. Lots of people do love it however which just goes to show the importance of a demo so you get the kit that sounds best to you and no one else.

You would possibly find the 8's bright if you really don't like treble. I wouldn't call them bright but you are always aware of the high frequencies although to me they still sound smooth.

My advice is demo demo demo only your ears can answer your questions fully!

A

Anonymous

I have a pair of the B&W 684's as part of our home theatre system, and they are a nice pair of speakers (although I think the weak link in my system is the Denon HT receiver AVR 2807 - it has a very lifeless sound). I suspect my speakers are underperforming on this receiver. We also have B&W Nautilus 803's on our music listening system, and while they are very different speakers, I would describe the B&W sound as a warmer type of sound.

However... someone else mentioned Focal speakers. We bought a pair ($1500 for the pair) of the new Focal Chorus Prestige series 807W paired with a small Rotel integrated amp for our vacation home. I have been stunned by these speakers. I absolutely love the sound that comes from them. Someone commented that they thought Focal was too bright, but I would strongly disagree, and instead I would call the sound from them as very crisp and lifelike (not shrill at all). Vocals sound amazing on them.

I have been a big fan of the B&W sound, and I do love our 803's but the sound from these much cheaper Focal speakers is quite remarkable. I strongly recommend you give some Focal speakers a listen to... you might be very pleased. I could not be happier with the choice we made.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
i demoed the 684 when i bought my cm1 and for my tastes the cm1 wer more balanced and bass very good for their size you might be surprised

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts