Not satisfied with MA Rx 6. B&W 684 or CM 7 good?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I stll find the sound of the MA Rx 6 too bright and shrill; screaming in the high. I like a warmer full body sound. What about the B&W 684 or CM 7?

Amp and cdp are NAD C355 and NAD c545. Music older rock and metal.

A

Anonymous

You could try to find a 2nd hand pair of Spendor S6e? They have silk tweeters and are rated pretty highly.

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Have you used your Rx6's for long?? I found the metal dome tweeter gets significantly sweeter after a good 100+ hours of use.

Have you tried using solid core speaker cable??

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
peterpan said:
I stll find the sound of the MA Rx 6 too bright and shrill; screaming in the high. I like a warmer full body sound. What about the B&W 684 or CM 7?

Amp and cdp are NAD C355 and NAD c545. Music older rock and metal.

B&W 684 is warmer but not in a good way, IMO. CM7s are the first proper speakers that I owned but I grew tired of the tweeters in entire B&W range (except the 8 series) as the metal tweeter starts hurting.. I still find my Proac D2 tweeters are shrill some times. With Rock and Metal it might be getting more annoying..

I am trying the Tannoy Signature tomorrow.. hopefully that could be one option.. Sonus Faver is good but I do not know how they would sound with Metal. Till now, Proacs are the best to tame the harshness of the top end.

A

Anonymous

Hi, where do you live? I was thinking you should try PSB speakers (originally from Canada, but they have international distribution), maybe the Image or Imagine towers.

PSB are the sister brand of NAD.

A

Anonymous

I would have said Dynaudio but i thought you were after floorstanders. I got rid of a pair of RX6s for the same reasons as yourself, too bright and boomy. I bought a pair of Dynaudio DM 2/7s and absolutely loved them, no more brightness just lovely smooth but crisp highs and solid lows.

T

the record spot

If it was my money, I'd be looking at either the Tannoy speakers you mention, the Q Acoustics 2050i Matthewpiano brought up, or their earlier incarantion in the 1050i. The Tannoys I have are very special little speakers and I'd expect the same underlying sound to be carried into their larger breathren.
small-logo.png

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm quite keen to hear the new Epos Elan range when it eventually hits the shops any time soon. They look really nice, and have a soft dome tweeter, which is a major change from the Mi series they are replacing.

Also, I would imagine that you will be able to pick up some baragins on the cheaper Epos Epic range when they start pushing the Elan's. When I was in a dealer the other day he was very enthusiastic about the Epic 5 floorstander saying they were tremendous value, though they lose out to the Elan in the looks department (WAF).

Might be worth your consideration.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
WishTree said:
I am getting a pair of these, though the Signature version, tomorrow. I will update tomorrow.

Just set them up and my wide smile tells every one how they perform. I know the edges are going to get rounded with running in them but they are what I am waiting for (atleast the first impressions at home!)

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I can go till the price of a Proac d18. But i became a mail from somebody who has these Proac's and find them a little bright :roll:

Tannoy revolution dc6t seems beautiful but on the bright side too. I haven't heard them, but that's what i read. I think with my music, older rock and metal, older 70 years pop, not a good choice.

B&W 684 i've heard with a (older) denon amp 1500 and sacd 1500 and sounds full bodied, very nice, and i couldn't hear bright or shrill highes, but the music overall sounds so muddy. I think my perfect speaker is a speaker between B&W 684 and MA RX 6.

MA RX 8 i think already bright? It is bigger than the rx 6. Gives it a more full bodied sound without bright highes?

Dynaudio excite x32?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts