Not much more to add.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
My system is pretty much where I wanted it to be now in terms of sound and quality. I cannot significantly improve it without spending something like £4500. (Nait XS + CD5XS + Spendor SA1 for instance).

Mistakes, bad timing, and prejudice meant it took me over two years to get here instead of one. It meant another year going back to vinyl. Not what I had planned but enjoyable for a while. It meant discovering (thanks to this forum) these DAC things and what they can add to my enjoyment.

I found this forum. Not sure that was a good idea in terms of time spent at the keyboard (!) but has paid me back many times over in good society and what I have learnt from everyone along the way.

Not sure where to go from here-on though. I have no intention of upgrading for at least a few years (excepting any unforseen financial windfalls) and - despite having an all Naim system - I am not qualified to be the resident 'Naim bore' because I am not set on any perpetual Naim 'upgrade' path. (I am not set on any upgrade path.)

Apart from my own past systems, (and what I have heard in demos or at friend's houses) my hifi knowledge is not going to expand much beyond what I read here. I don't even need a turntable now. (That went to an excellent new home two weeks ago.) Basically I have run out of anything to contribute.

I am going to hang around - because I really like the people here - but I am going to be taking that comfy looking back-seat and revisit my somewhat neglected reading and my very neglected photography in the new year. (I need the exercise!)

My last hifi mags were purchased in October (to read in case it rained on holiday) and I am going to stay away from those too. (Unless I see a good review in WHF of any Freeview+ equipped BD/HDD recorders in the new-year when they - hopefully - appear.)

My most long lived system ever gave excellent service for 11 years from 1996 - 2007 and it would be great if this system lasts even half that time before change.

So - a bit like 'True Blue' (also a true gent by the way) - I am going to fade out a bit.

Have a great Christmas and new year everyone.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
similar situation for myself - i have finished my system now and just want to enjoy it a little as has been through so many changes over the last 2 years but finally have something that i feel sounds really sweet to me.

Carpets and sofa's for me moving forward - time to finish the house after recently removing walls in my lounge to allow my stereo to breeth more and get a larger projector screen in and building a utility room ect the house is now kind of half finished so lots to do in the new year over xmas.

Photography's on my list as well - quite looking forward to getting out more with the camera (Canon 450D) - bought it over the summer as something i have always enjoyed and wanted to do more of but just not committed to it this year - went away at the weekend for a few days but left it at home as the weather was ropey and woke up to some fantastic views of frost covered ground and mist and light drifting through woodland and was gutted i'd missed the opportunity but hey plenty more days to come

A

Anonymous

best wishes & happy xmas chebby...and every one else

Please excuse my grammer but I know where you are at with the upgrade path , in that to improve you may have to spend wodges of cash to gain a significant improvement. Me... I gave up the upgrade path a long time ago and am enjoying my current setup with a 30year old pre/power amp , 8 year old speaker system (not every body`s cup of tea regarding speakers , but suits my small listening room just right) and recently & reluctantly have had to spent 350 quid on a new cd player to replace my last one which failed after nearly 20 years use...

Like yourself I have just discovered a new source of music...Digital and have to say it`s a very convenient medium.

I love to sit down and listen to an album regardlesss be it cd or digital, and enjoy the music that comes out of the speakers with out having to analysing every note.I care not if Fred Bloggs has the latest 10 grand hifi , (i`m only jealous!!) if its what you like then thats all that matters. I think with hifi that you can get into a state of paranoya and that you end up listening to the equipment rather than the music and I think (sorry WHAT HIFI !!) that magazines can be to blame in some respect.USE YOUR EARS WHEN BUYING HII NOT WHAT YOUVE READ!!!

Photography can be the same sometimes in that you buy a camera or lens after reading a review , use it for a while , then go buy a photography magazine and then once again paranoya sets in about not having the latest spec etc....and that It can significantly improve your photography!!! It may help but there is no substitute for learning over a period of years.

Your contribution has been experience that takes time to come by and you can`t buy that in a box ,so sit back , enjoy the music , go and take some photos and care not a jot.

T

the record spot

All the best chebby, I think you're contributions to the forum are excellent but I know exactly where you're at right now. Kind of in a similar boat myself - no major upgrades planned, the system I have for the time I have free is perfectly good enough. The only upgrade I might make would be a better amp, but it would be in the direction of a high end 1970s Sansui of a higher pedigree to my current one, or a modern effort like the new Yamaha 700/1000/2000 or Leema Pulse examples.

As to my own contributions here, they're pretty much limited to Sansui, Q Acoustics, Marantz and the odd dabble in recommending a few other brands. Compared to the staffers, I've heard a more limited bunch of kit by far. It's fun for sure, but it's time for a little bowing out myself.

Only for Christmas though, back in the New Year! Just off to dig myself out of Edinburgh's snowdrifts and head down to the in-laws down south. Have a good one one and all and the very best to you and yours this festive season.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
chebby:

My system is pretty much where I wanted it to be now in terms of sound and quality. I cannot significantly improve it without spending something like £4500. (Nait XS + CD5XS + Spendor SA1 for instance).

Mistakes, bad timing, and prejudice meant it took me over two years to get here instead of one. It meant another year going back to vinyl. Not what I had planned but enjoyable for a while. It meant discovering (thanks to this forum) these DAC things and what they can add to my enjoyment.

I found this forum. Not sure that was a good idea in terms of time spent at the keyboard (!) but has paid me back many times over in good society and what I have learnt from everyone along the way.

Not sure where to go from here-on though. I have no intention of upgrading for at least a few years (excepting any unforseen financial windfalls) and - despite having an all Naim system - I am not qualified to be the resident 'Naim bore' because I am not set on any perpetual Naim 'upgrade' path. (I am not set on any upgrade path.)

Apart from my own past systems, (and what I have heard in demos or at friend's houses) my hifi knowledge is not going to expand much beyond what I read here. I don't even need a turntable now. (That went to an excellent new home two weeks ago.) Basically I have run out of anything to contribute.

I am going to hang around - because I really like the people here - but I am going to be taking that comfy looking back-seat and revisit my somewhat neglected reading and my very neglected photography in the new year. (I need the exercise!)

My last hifi mags were purchased in October (to read in case it rained on holiday) and I am going to stay away from those too. (Unless I see a good review in WHF of any Freeview+ equipped BD/HDD recorders in the new-year when they - hopefully - appear.)

My most long lived system ever gave excellent service for 11 years from 1996 - 2007 and it would be great if this system lasts even half that time before change.

So - a bit like 'True Blue' (also a true gent by the way) - I am going to fade out a bit.

Perhaps just buy some Green & Blacks, pop it in a pan and sit back...

Have a good one fella.

Joel

A

Anonymous

I know how you feel, I'm the same (and with the photography).

Will miss you on the forum, but hopefully will see your uploads on flickr.

Have a great christmas and new year.

Ed

idc

Chebby (thanks for selling me your DAC in the sneakiest forum sale ever), matengawhat (you still have the system I most want to listen to!) and record spot. Your contributions have been huge and dont underestimate what you have to contributed. The reason why this forum works so well is the number of active, regular members. I cannot remember the specifics, but if you get 50 or so random members of the public and one expert, and ask them a question, chances are you will get the right answer from both.

That is why I hope you do not step too far back. I bet you will surprise yourselves on what you do contribute. My rather eclectic list has been itunes and ipods (less so now, but it is how I started here), Spotify and other online music services, headfi, help for starting to use a PC based setup with a DAC and introducing as many people as possible to prog rock, particularly the Scandinavian scene. Then there is the general chat, cable stuff, system supports etc etc.

Best regards to the three of you.

chebby:

Good luck Chebby. The only contribution I've made is not on the technical side [I've never looked at hi-fi in that way] much prefer to gauge an item by sound and not a spread sheet.

Although I will be upgrading at some point in the near future, it isn't (at this stage) top of my priority list. My knowledge is limited to Arcam, MA, Wharfedale, Roksan and a few others and feel that I'm repeating myself. Hence why I've spent less time recently on the forum. Totally understand your feelings, and I'll shall be following suit sometime in January.

Just like to add a big thank you for the photos you emailed through earlier in the year; they are still nicely tucked away in the family album.

All the best

PP

matthewpiano

Chebby - your post here resonates very strongly with how I feel.

I have also neglected my reading and I have a pile of fiction and non fiction to catch up on. I have also neglected my piano playing of late and wish to spend more time on that.

My tortured hi-fi quest is over. I've finally found a system to fall in love with and I am thoroughly enjoying re-discovering my music collection. There will be no further changes for a significant period of time now and the only major purchase I plan to make next year is a new TV which, for obvious reasons, will certainly be from the new 2010 Bravia range.

So, in order to focus on all these things, and also on my job (where I have recently acquired further responsibility) and family, I am also bowing out.

All best wishes to everyone on here and many thanks for all the help in ending the anguish I've been experiencing with my hi-fi.

A

Anonymous

all the best Chebby! ... always enjoy reading your posts!

perhaps look at setting up an older cheaper valve (or similar) system for a bedroom or kitchen? .... will cost cheap as there are many bargains around especially on the old gear

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We'll miss your wit and wisdom - here's a song for all of you
emotion-2.gif

idc

matthewpiano:.... I am also bowing out. All best wishes to everyone on here and many thanks for all the help in ending the anguish I've been experiencing with my hi-fi.

Straight back to you to
emotion-21.gif

This is getting very sad now, please make this temporary and you will pop back every so often.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
yes it is kind of sad - i feel i have got to know some of you simply by your hifi journey

my own system is completed for now at least as well but i will still be looking in here and reading posts as i enjoy doing it and also will be helping others when i have something useful to add

Merry Christmas everyone - hopefully those leaving will just end up temporary in the end

A

Anonymous

Nice one Chebby, I always enjoy reading your posts. I'm on pause at the moment and enjoy the box swapping game far too much to stick with anything longer than four years. As ever, economic constraints, houses, families and life put hifi low down the priorities list but it's always a nice simmering hobby.

I've neglected my photography completely this year and haven't even managed one air show! Must be a sign to start a fresh year behind the lense!

All we need now is Thaiman and Drummerman to hang up their cans and we've ended another forum generation!

Happy Christmas to all and Chebby, don't be a stranger.

A

Anonymous

Thanks chebby for all your useful posts in the past 6 months or so.

Merry christmas, it all comes to a halt when you've got a cd player,amp and speaker combo you like !

anyhows take care..

Reggaedave

A

Anonymous

jimdonnelly:Jeez. Is everyone leaving?

Will miss your posts and advice.Just saying they are to get compliments
emotion-5.gif

JamesPianoman

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes, all the best Chebby, I've enjoyed reading your posts. Maybe you'll check-in and read my naimUniti thoughts- it's scheduled to arrive in mid-Jan.

Like some others my hifi experience is extremely limited (in fact to the Uniti audition and Pure radio!) so it's been great on the one hand to read everyone's views and help, and slightly frustrating that I didn't have more expertise to offer!

Have a good one Chebby, and all... and if anyone has a job supplying 'control boards' to Naim, do me a favour and work a bit of overtime over Christmas so that my system can be built and shipped quickly! (Only kidding).

emotion-5.gif

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Thankyou for the compliment Chebby. It has been a pleasure talking with you on this forum. You know where I live you are always more than welcome (bacon sandwiches on standby :)).

Hopefully keep in contact off forum, you know you want to hear the Caiman...........

All the best and enjoy the rest.

T

the record spot

Clare Newsome:
We'll miss your wit and wisdom - here's a song for all of you
emotion-2.gif

Oh the mighty Peters and Lee! Well, it's the early new year, I dug my way out of Edinburgh's snowdrifts and had a fine old Christmas with the family at my in-laws. Sad to leave, it was great fun and I - anorak at the ready - popped in to Superfi in Leeds for the first time to check it out. Nice store and some very nice kit on display. Even better, they just let you browse without leaping all over you every two seconds.

Just going to take a moment to say thanks to those who were kind enough to pass on their comments - I wasn't fishing for compliments incidentally, but there does come a time when you think there's only so many times you can recommend a pair of 1050i floorstanders. That said, having seen them up close, they're money well spent.
emotion-5.gif

Anyway, back now, refreshed after the festive break...more or less!

A

Anonymous

As my New Year's resolution, I have resolved to spend less time with my family, concentrate less on my job, neglect my other pastimes and spend more time on the forum. Happy New Year.
emotion-19.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts