Not impressed by 3D TVs at the show today

Finally got the chance to check out a few 3D TVs under one roof at the show today.

Philips was shockingly bad.....poor motion handling & lot of shimmering around 3D images.

Samsung was better with motion, but the 3D was headache inducing beyond a couple of minutes.

Panasonic VT20 was easily the best of the lot....superb motion handling & believable 3D.

But overall, 3D TVs were disappointing. I can't see myself buying a 3D TV in its current form. It's probably better suited for games, like the GT5 game at WHF stand.

I was blown by the Sony 3D projector demo though. Astonishingly brilliant 3D performance & motion handling! I could easily sit through a 3D movie. This should certainly be on top of the list for any projector purchase upto £6000 mark. [Y]

I haven't seen the Sony 3D TV as there was always a queue for the demo at the WHF stand, & I was famished!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Rest of the show good....?

I'm visiting it tomorrow......
emotion-4.gif

The show was quite good actually, lots of kit to demo. Although I was a little surprised that at the entrance, they only took the money (£6) for entry, but didn't give out any tickets! How are they keeping a tab on the numbers? Isn't it open to abuse?

I saw Joe Cox, Tom Parsons, Clare Newsome & Andy Clough & the WHF stand. Spoke ot Tom & Joe a bit, but Clare & Andy were busy, & then went away for lunch. So couldn't speak to them.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I think once you leave, you can't get back in without paying again?? So can't be abused....

I went last year and the floor plan looks similar.......did Monitor Audio have their BX range on demo, did you notice?

A

Anonymous

its interesting that you found the philips 3d to be so bad bb, considering the 9705 already has an eisa award for best 3dtv, even though there are hardly any around yet, and 3d is seemingly poor
emotion-40.gif

note to self.. dont take eisa awards seriously in future ...

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
maxflinn:note to self.. dont take eisa awards seriously in future ...

By George, I think he's finally got it...

emotion-19.gif
emotion-19.gif
emotion-19.gif
emotion-11.gif

Pistol Pete1: I think once you leave, you can't get back in without paying again?? So can't be abused....

You can. They gave me a little note when I went out for lunch.

I went last year and the floor plan looks similar.......did Monitor Audio have their BX range on demo, did you notice?

Monitor Audio's focus was on its Apex range. Even the new SoundFrame speakers (which looked extremely gorgeous) were kept on display at the other end of the demo room. They showed me the speakers only when I asked. Had to walk past people sitting for the Apex demo to get to it.

The SoundFrame speakers can be hung in your living room like a painting! They're shortly going to start a service wherein you send your family pictures etc. to them, & they'll make the speaker grille out of them!

maxflinn:

its interesting that you found the philips 3d to be so bad bb, considering the 9705 already has an eisa award for best 3dtv, even though there are hardly any around yet, and 3d is seemingly poor
emotion-40.gif

It was the 9705 I saw max. Don't know if they calibrate the TVs at the show.......but I'll be surprised if anyone walked out being impressed with it. Samsung & Panasonic were also displaying their 3D TVs in the same room....& Philips was the worst performer (& Panasonic the best).

A

Anonymous

that 3d sony projector sounds good bb, but £6000? way out of my grasp. i wonder what 3d improvements we can expect to see on next years tv's? not much would be my guess, in fact i dont think we will see a clear kuro killer for sensible money either, until large screen oled's become the norm.. i reckon the kuro will end up being the best plasma ever made, i dont care if i have to wait 2 or 3 years, im gonna get me one
emotion-11.gif

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Part of the reason for the projector being better than the screens at 3D is that it fills your field of view - as Andrew has mentioned a few times. 3D is just not really meant for the small screen! (hence my mild hate for it being shoved down our throats at every opportunity!)

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:that 3d sony projector sounds good bb, but £6000? way out of my grasp. i wonder what 3d improvements we can expect to see on next years tv's? not much would be my guess, in fact i dont think we will see a clear kuro killer for sensible money either, until large screen oled's become the norm.. i reckon the kuro will end up being the best plasma ever made, i dont care if i have to wait 2 or 3 years, im gonna get me one
emotion-11.gif

the 3D on the sony TV's is not as head ache inducing either in my opion aswell... the panasonic TV's made me dizzy. not tried the samsung ones so cant comment...

A

Anonymous

The quality of 3d source material seems to vary wildy when watching sky 3d (ch 217)

The Ryder Cup in 3D looked quite poor - the scenery was nice and u could see the rolling hills and undulations - but the crowd seemed to have some sort of halo effect around them as if they had been super-imposed onto the rest of the screen.

The Darts was also (surprisingly) not that great either.

In contrast the 3d effect for the Scotland v Spain footie was superb, and was pratically just like sitting in the stand. Ice Age 3 was also good.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I'vejust got back from the show myself and my son and I were saying exactly the same thing, how poor the 3D TV's were, irrespective of make. Maybe I just don't like 3D fullstop, but having viewed a few today there is absolutely no way I'll be forking out any cash for one.

Not sure which make, Samsung I think, showed clips of a Man U / Chelsea game and it was quite appalling. Looked like a cheap computer game. Not for me.

My son had a go on a PS3 game in 3D at the WHF stand and that was OK but after watching him play with those glasses on for 2 minutes I was itching to take them off.

A

Anonymous

People need to realise the 3D is just an added bonus on these TV's. Please remember that these 3D TV's are also the best 2D performers on the market. So why do people just state 'I wont be buying one of those 3D TV's" when they are actually the best 2D TV's out there which have the bonus of 3D to show off from time to time?

Regarding the projectors yes they are easily much better than the TV's but i have to say i was more impressed with the JVC than the Sony projector. The Sony one seemed to be a bit dark? Also JVC demo had a 2D demo as well which was stunning where as Sony did not show their projector in 2D.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
absolutely agree with you here.. we watched a bit of 'Bugs' on sky 3d the other night and it was really interesting.. the 3d effect really works.. you could see leaves/bugs outside the screen and the depth it added was great.. the glasses are the major stumbling block though.. and 99.99% of our tv viewing will be 2d .. which thankfully it our panasonic 42vt20 does really well.. i am tending to agree with sky when they say 3d is for 'event' viewing.. its just never going to be the norm to watch stuff in 3d.. especially if you have to put on glasses to do so.. the sky 3d channel might be pretty good value in the end.. i'm not sure if buying 3d blu-rays is going to be worth it.. but for the handful of fims you might want to check out in 3d.. its a good compromise at the moment..

andytucker:

People need to realise the 3D is just an added bonus on these TV's. Please remember that these 3D TV's are also the best 2D performers on the market. So why do people just state 'I wont be buying one of those 3D TV's" when they are actually the best 2D TV's out there which have the bonus of 3D to show off from time to time?

Regarding the projectors yes they are easily much better than the TV's but i have to say i was more impressed with the JVC than the Sony projector. The Sony one seemed to be a bit dark? Also JVC demo had a 2D demo as well which was stunning where as Sony did not show their projector in 2D.

matthewpiano

I thought the Sony was clearly the best of the 3D TVs and that has nothing to do with the fact that I used to work in a Sony Centre. It is by no means perfect, and I am yet to be convinced about 3D as a domestic technology, but at least it managed to be relatively natural and easy on the eye.

It should also be said that the Sony had the distinct advantage of being set-up in a darkened room by WHFS&V rather than being out in the lighter surroundings of the main show like the Philips, Samsung and Panasonic models so it perhaps isn't a very fair comparison.

A

Anonymous

andytucker: People need to realise the 3D is just an added bonus on these TV's. Please remember that these 3D TV's are also the best 2D performers on the market. So why do people just state 'I wont be buying one of those 3D TV's" when they are actually the best 2D TV's out there which have the bonus of 3D to show off from time to time?

i also have to agree with Andy here in respect of tv`s but will add that for me 3d in its entirety just doesn`t do it for me on a tv sized panel.

Also the darkness of the sony was to me unacceptable whereas the JVC was head and shoulders above anything else their at the show in respect of 3D imageing, but the one thing it simply excels in is its 2D capabilities, the clip of Iron Man 2 was the best projected image I have ever seen, it was like 3D in reverse, it had that much depth to it.

So that alone disregarding its very good 3D capabilities makes it a clear winner for me in this years projector stakes (so far anyway) and it wil only get better as we were all watching an engineers model and not a production one.

Well done JVC

tvspecv

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
would have gone but didnt have time, would have loved to see the sony projector but in terms of picture quality contrast ratio, dont you think a tv performs better than a projector? over 70-inches already by lg surely this will be better

A

Anonymous

tvspecv:dont you think a tv performs better than a projector? over 70-inches already by lg surely this will be better

to be honest and I will be, I haven`t yet seen any 3d tv perform as smooth a pic as regards motion judder as the JVC pj`s do.

that apart no matter what anyone thinks or says i`m still of the belief that their is nothing like the wow factor that a big screen projected image gives you.

70" LG`s included, sit an watch a 120-140" JVC image shown properely and nothing compares, but thats only my opinion.

I know the queue at the JVC stand were long but the wait was more than worth it and the queue so tell you why

A

Anonymous

andytucker:

i totally agree with what you have said
its better to have 3d tv as a add on, as 2d is very good as well with free freeview hd and internet access they are not just sold as 3d tvs , the children love it and are always asking what ive recorded for them, the football is ace in 3d
so everybody who is buying a new tv will want one that includes 3d go on tell the truth everyone.

andytucker: People need to realise the 3D is just an added bonus on these TV's. Please remember that these 3D TV's are also the best 2D performers on the market. So why do people just state 'I wont be buying one of those 3D TV's" when they are actually the best 2D TV's out there which have the bonus of 3D to show off from time to time?

It's not 'just' an added bonus. You're paying a premium for this feature. Why should I pay for something I'm not going to enjoy the experience of? I couldn't tolerate even 2 minutes of it. How can I show this off? I'll prefer to buy a V20 rather than a VT20 & save myself some money.

3D TVs have a long way to go. The technology in its current form is not practical for home viewing. I think the ideal time for a 3D TV will be around 2012. In general, a technology takes 3 years to mature.

The bottomline is, if I'm in the market for a TV, it'll be purely for 2D performance. I'll prefer a set without 3D simply because 3D TVs are more expensive than 2D ones.

tvspecv:would have gone but didnt have time, would have loved to see the sony projector but in terms of picture quality contrast ratio, dont you think a tv performs better than a projector? over 70-inches already by lg surely this will be better

The 72-inch LG will cost around £11000. For this money, you can buy an entire home cinema system with a high end projector. A Projector will give a much superior performance than a large TV. Also, a projector is easier on the eyes & does not cause much eye strain unlike a TV.

A

Anonymous

The Eisa award was for Best LCD TV and not for 3D? Or am I mistaken?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts