dreambreaks

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi

My dad is 88 and totally unable to cope with smart/internet etc. Are there any decent non smart tvs around.? Every time I try to search for one all I seem to see are smart tvs. It would be too much hassle for him to be confronted with apps and log-ins he is totally analogue. Cheers

WayneKerr

Hi

My dad is 88 and totally unable to cope with smart/internet etc. Are there any decent non smart tvs around.? Every time I try to search for one all I seem to see are smart tvs. It would be too much hassle for him to be confronted with apps and log-ins he is totally analogue. Cheers
All 'smart' TVs are capable of receiving basic terrestrial stations, you only need to delve into the smart aspect if you want to stream TV programmes.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

All 'smart' TVs are capable of receiving basic terrestrial stations, you only need to delve into the smart aspect if you want to stream TV programmes.
That's true.
It's very easy for me to avoid the 'smartness' on a couple of Panasonic TVs that I use.
But that might be because they're both older sets.

On more recent sets I've seen, the smart stuff gets in the way of normal TV somewhat.

Bought one for my Auntie (who's 90+ years old). Despite me bypassing all the smart stuff during setup - we were still getting annoying half-screen prompts telling us to complete the setup - with the assumption that everyone wants their TV linked to the poxy internet.
Brother's set sometimes goes through an annoying update before he can watch normal TV.
Modern sets, like many things these days, are too clever for their own good - especially for (often older) people that just want simplicity).

Reactions: dreambreaks

WayneKerr

That's true.
It's very easy for me to avoid the 'smartness' on a couple of Panasonic TVs that I use.
But that might be because they're both older sets.

On more recent sets I've seen, the smart stuff gets in the way of normal TV somewhat.

Bought one for my Auntie (who's 90+ years old). Despite me bypassing all the smart stuff during setup - we were still getting annoying half-screen prompts telling us to complete the setup - with the assumption that everyone wants their TV linked to the poxy internet.
Brother's set sometimes goes through an annoying update before he can watch normal TV.
Modern sets, like many things these days, are too clever for their own good - especially for (often older) people that just want simplicity).
Cheers Gray, I'm basing my thoughts on old smart tech too and it sounds like things have annoyingly moved on :)
Just been looking at TVs wondering whether to retire my 11 year old 3D pannie plasma :unsure:

Reactions: Gray
Hi

I don’t think so. About five years ago when my dad was 96 he was given a flat screen telly from the family of a deceased friend. It had been bought at Tesco and was probably about £2-300. It even had a DVD drive in the side, but no Smarts. I can’t recall the brand I’m afraid. The picture was tolerable and the sound tinny but clear enough.

In your shoes I’d go to Richer Sounds or John Lewis, tell them what you want, and then proceed to turn off each TV in turn. Then switch on with the remote and choose one with the least intrusive UI. If some icons pop up they should disappear in say 20 seconds, leaving regular TV.

Last edited:

Geoff P.

Mar 29, 2022
Visit site
What about the likes of British Heart Foundation's electrical shops ? I believe everything there is safety tested, and most of their TVs are older models which people have chopped in for one of those pesky 'smart' TVs !

Reactions: dreambreaks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts