Non 1080P full HD TVs(HD ready) pointless

Davro83

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
I have a full HD tv 46" with sony 350 blu ray player. Excellent picture. I took my blu ray player to parents and played it on their panasonic plasma 37" which is only HD ready, 720p. The picture seemed exactly the same as a normal DVD. I didnt tell my dad we were watching blu ray and he actually said "the picture is a bit naff". My brother saw it playing on my full hd tv without knowing it was blu ray and he commented what a great picture. When we played it at parents he also said there is no difference from a normal DVD. So my conclusion whats the point unless it is full HD tv. Makes hardly any difference on a 720.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
This is probably just a matter of each to their own, but I couldn't disagree with you more! I have a Panasonic TH-42PX70 plasma (which is 'only' HD Ready), and I think Blu-ray looks pretty great on it from my PS3. Watched Tropic Thunder on BD last night, and was again stunned by sharp edges, plenty of fine detail and some gorgeous colours. I set the PS3 to output 1080p, and the Panny downscales vey well and also deals well with 24fps, displaying some pretty smooth movement.

Granted, I know I could get better if I upgraded my TV and player, but frankly I'm so pleased with the performance I'm already getting, I feel I'd need to spend a fair bit more to substantially improve upon it.

But IMO, saying Blu-ray on a 720p screen is NO better than a DVD is just plain wrong.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Agreed. But has it not also been argued that there is little discernable difference between 720p and 1080p at smaller screen sizes?

Davro83

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Sorry ear. I have samsung series 8 46A856. Im getting sky HD soon. Do u think i will be disapointed with picture as sky is 720p?

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
8 series, simply the best lcd I think.I realy don't have any experience with 6 7 or 8 series when watching freeview.Is it good in freeview?

mikey2008

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Davro83:Sorry ear. I have samsung series 8 46A856. Im getting sky HD soon. Do u think i will be disapointed with picture as sky is 720p?

Sky HD is great for a full HD TV. You won't be disappointed.

Davro83

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Overall i think the freeview is good. Somedays i think its excellent, then the next day not so much. It also took about a week before it impressed me. Must have a running in time. Also bought a new mains cable and they said needed 100hrs run in time, so that could have contributed to the better picture after about a week.

Davro83

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
I had a 42" HD ready LG plasma before this. It wasnt 720p tho. It was HD ready when they just started bringing them out so was 480 i think. But the freeview is much better on my samsung.

A

Anonymous

Davro83:I had a 42" HD ready LG plasma before this. It wasnt 720p tho. It was HD ready when they just started bringing them out so was 480 i think. But the freeview is much better on my samsung.

What???

480i is not HD ready....720P is.

If it was 720P then it was HD ready, if it was 480i then it wasn't.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Davro83 - i can only agree with those who have pointed out that you are comparing apples and oranges size wise, and that full hd screens are theoretically not as good with SD (which most are still watching most of the time) as hd ready screens.

Davro83

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Well my LG was HD ready. It came with an HD cable and i played my xbox through it on HD and it was better than using component. It also said HD on the front bottom right corner under screen. But in the manual of my tv and on the back it said 480. I find this strange as i know 720p is HDTV ready. 480p is EDTV so why would it come with an HD port and say HD on front.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Such sets marketed themselves as 'HD compatible' - they'd accept an HD signal via HDMI, but couldn't actually display at HD resolution. So, in short, a fancier way of saying 'includes HDMI socket'
emotion-5.gif

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
I had it emphasised last night how important the source is too and the broadcast quality of different channels.

Watching the Attenborough/Darwin last night on BBC some of it was stunnng even on SD cable. You could tell when it was library footage but the video shot in the Natural History Museum was outstanding upscaled to 1080p by my set. If you watch other channels the picture can be awful with the same settings. (note to self, must get Virgin HD)

Talking of picture quality, anyone watched "Colour of Magic" ? On Bluray I could really see what the reviewers mean when they talk about depth and three-dimensionality.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
visionary:

(note to self, must get Virgin HD)

Don't get a V+ box, I've got one and yes the picture is good on SD braodcasts because of the HDMI connection, but now's the time to get Sky HD.

Link to it via Quidco and get £100 casback, Sky HD box is £49 + free installation, £50 M&S vouchers and £9.75 credit off your first HD pack. That's £204 (£17 pcm) for the first year after discounts if you have just one entertainment pack.

I'd change, but I want to keep Virgin Media broadband, so it doesn't work out quite as cheap for me. Although I get an ongoing £22 pcm discount on my services from Virgin Media just for quoting the oppositions price and threatening to leave!

A

Anonymous

pete321:

I'd change, but I want to keep Virgin Media broadband, so it doesn't work out quite as cheap for me. Although I get an ongoing £22 pcm discount on my services from Virgin Media just for quoting the oppositions price and threatening to leave!
Likewise, I get £20 discount. And the second time I phoned up to cancel, I got the V+ for £30!!

TRENDING THREADS