No light at the end of the tunner : Panasonic Z1 woes :-(

StanleyAV

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Since I purchased my Panasonic Z1 TV, last September (2010) , I have endured 10 months with a TV that
misbehaves with many dramas and films. There is an inherent flashing problem with respect to how faces, costumes
or scenery is rendered by the Z1 panel/tuner box combination; mainly affecting dark scenes or moodily lit material.

The Viera Product Manager has known of my problems for 9 months and only reluctantly performed a tuner box exchange after persuasion by the What Hifi Editor. This unfortunately did not address the bulk of the issues.

Panasonic has investigated and confirmed there is an inherent issue with the Z1 panel and offers no solution.

When are Panasonic UK going to honour their warranty commitment to me? The TV cannot be repaired and their EU warranty specifies a replacement in the event of a repair not being possible.

While another Z1 owner received a refund, that presents additional problems for me; logistic issues in returning the unit, card processing delays, parental strife.
I have received no formal offer of a refund from Panasonic, I must make that clear; despite what Clare Newsome (WHF editor) was told.

The preferred option for me would be to receive replacement goods as specified by their warranty. A suitable equivalent : i.e. one flagship for another, would be the VT30 for the Z1, in either 46" or 50" form; the GT30 does not even come close to Z1 for dynamic range/contrast, notwithstanding weak 50hz support!!

Another option might be a 54" Z1 as seen at hiwayhifi.com, who retail one for an equivalent retail price of my 46" Z1 - that's if it did not suffer the problem I have! (wishful thinking perhaps?); I only mention it because I like the feel of the Z1 picture.

NB Their is a local service agent at Panasonic Store Brighton to fulfill such a unit exchange :shifty:

Presently this matter has been referred to customer services by the Viera product manager*, which may well as be the death knell of receiving good customer service based on my own and other's past experience of that function at Panasonic UK. :(

*And he did not do this 9 months ago because.......!????

I have only a few months remaining on the basic warranty and can well imagine being cut loose by Panasonic when that expires! Many know how tardy their customer services are. :roll:

Are they really the professional company they make out to be? 'Rolls Royce' in their heads, 'Mickey Mouse' in mine! |(

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
i would go for a refund.. then buy whatever tv you are happiest with.. if there isnt a tv out there to match your z1.. then its hardly panasonics fault?

i am sorry i didnt push for a full refund on my vt20 last year.. instead i opted to pay extra to my retailer who took back my vt20 and sold it on as a demo unit.. i know if a few people since who have had vt20's and v20s returned for complete refunds!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
StanleyAV,

Are you saying that the tv is within it's first year of warranty and therefore still covered under the initial manufacturers warranty? I must admit i had alot of problems getting my first 42g20 image retention issue resolved and found Panasonic customer service to be laughable at best and it took the intervention of Consumer Direct to get the issue resolved after being directed to Panasonic UK by my retailer (Amazon UK) which of course it was their right to do so.

In the first year of warranty the retailer is the first point of call for any issue to be resolved but increasingly you are just directed to Panasonic UK and told to get them to look at the tv. As you have had an ongoing issue for months now i would start getting some advice on what to do next (and the law on your side) from Consumer Direct as it's obvious to me that you need to ramp up the pressure on Panasonic before the warranty runs out and you are left high and dry with no resolution.

When it comes to replacement tvs, mine was replaced free of charge in the end by my retailer after Panasonic's repair agent tried to repair the tv but the fault came back within 24hrs. I had a very good conversation with the repair agent who conceeded that there was nothing further they could do to attempt to fix the issue and they agreed to give me their full backing to get a replacement tv and it was when armed with this info and backing from Consumer Direct that i got the tv replaced but it was quite a fight.

Don't give up but it's time to up the pressure on Panasonic and your retailer in order to get a resolution! Don't forget you are still entitled to a refund and perhaps this would be a better option to push for?

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
maybe if panasonic are reading they'd like to refund me the extra money i paid for my VT30 over the VT20? as per other customers?

Clare Newsome said:
Just to let you know that i've flagged this thread up to Panasonic.

StanleyAV

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Another Z1 owner has already been through the farce of an attempted repair. The retailer told me in the event
of problems with the TV to seek help from the local service agent.

There is no fix for this problem, I am not going through the motions just to satisfy Panasonic's bureaucracy.
They have been aware for some time that I have had irreconcilable processing issues on this TV.

A refund is not an easy option for me, see my first post here :returning the unit is now a problem - who keeps bulky cartons for 10months? (there are other issues incurring more stress and inconvenience).

Their EU warranty is quite specific : repair or unit replacement.

Other owners who have had problems that can't be repaired have been offered replacement TVs i.e. 2011 equivalent's of whatever model they purchased under warranty. I am asking for the same, as is my right under Panasonic's warranty.

I am well aware of my rights under the Sale of Goods Act, I would have to fight long and hard to achieve the same results.
I really do not wish to add further to my stress burden on this matter!

A warranty claim matter, such as this, ought to be simple to discharge - a straightforward hot swap of goods performed by a local Panasonic dealer/service agent; I am quite happy to demonstrate the fault to said dealer.

Clare (Newsome) has the matter in hand, as she is very helpful in holding manufacturers to account over such issues. :shhh:

[EDITED BY MODS - MAKING POTENTIALLY LIBELLOUS STATEMENTS IS UNLIKELY TO HELP YOUR CAUSE]

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I have been assured that Panasonic Customer Services is on the case with your complaints (ie this isn't just 'in the system'). Will update as/when I hear anything else, but hopefully (and rightfully) you should be contacted first.

StanleyAV

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Just an update for other forum members, well over a month since referred to customer services. No response whatsoever.
Clare is aware of the situation and will keep me updated.

I am beyond words and steam. |(

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
StanleyAV said:
Just an update for other forum members, well over a month since referred to customer services. No response whatsoever.
Clare is aware of the situation and will keep me updated.

I am beyond words and steam. |(

I can't beleive this issue is still unresolved StanleyAV, i had assumed after keeping an eye on this thread last month that the issue would see a speedy resolution but another month later and no signs of Panasonic even contacting you is an appalling way to treat your customers not to mention a complete failing of any standard of customer service.

Perhaps it's time to up the pressure and consider legal action? I can see no other way forward from here as even Clare has had no joy from contacting Panasonic and most companies take notice as soon as one of the team get involved! It's not a good reflection on Panasonic's customer service so i'm very surprised this hasn't been resolved long before now and as i own a Panasonic tv i dread to think what may happen if i ever had to contact them with an issue :O

I hope that Panasonic finally contact you and bring an end to this ongoing issue but i don't blame you for being mad, i would feel exactly the same if i were in your position!

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
This is not very good at all.

I'm in the market for a new TV and if this is indicative of Panasonics customer service I guess this is one make I wont be looking at I'm afraid.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
StanleyAV,

Any contact from Panasonic yet? I would hope they have got into gear and got the issue sorted for you but i'm not holding my breath, hope you have an update and fingers crossed some good news.

StanleyAV

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
No - still nothing, despite referring to my problems in an email customer services chose only to answer a query on viera cast! :roll: I have emailed back specifically with reference to it being a warranty claim! :(

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Blimey StanleyAV you must be fuming by now!

I can't beleive how much Panasonic are dragging their heels when it comes to your issue....i had contacted Panasonic UK customer services by phone today and they were very helpful so it surprises me that such vastly different levels of customer service exist within the company.

I guess all you can do is persist and pester them into action, i sincerely hope that you get a resolution soon but of course keep the thread updated if you can as i often look to see if you have had any luck....fingers crossed.

Best regards.

StanleyAV

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Concise version of this complaint, which I posted on their facebook conversation page has been deleted. Not looking good is it? :roll:

Hmmmm.....Panasonic is definitely off my future purchase list. When I was buying my Kuro, Panasonic V10 had just been announced. I asked my dealer if it's worth waiting to compare the V10 with the Kuro. He advised me against Panasonic because of poor customer service. He had lot of problems with Panasonic when sorting TV issues of his Panasonic customers.

grifz

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Wow just unbelievable. I also will NEVER be considering Panasonic in future. I hope many hundreds of potential buyers read this thread.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
StanleyAV said:
Concise version of this complaint, which I posted on their facebook conversation page has been deleted. Not looking good is it? :roll:

How i would love to swear right now but of course i'm not going to upset mods so just fill in your own expletive ridden rant! To not only have no contact over the issue and to then delete your post on facebook is the attitude of an irresposible company who have no idea of customer service and the damage it can do to when it's performed as poorly as this instance...the damage is being done already as more forum members read this thread and pass on the feeling to every one they know, there is nothing like word of mouth to destroy a companies reputation imo.

If it were me i would be seriously tempted to take it further now by either going up the ladder within Panasonic and writing to the ceo etc or by taking some sort of legal action if that's possible....in the meantime just keep turning peoples attention to how useless Panasonic customer service is in this thread and hope you get more people to turn away from their products.

I feel ashamed to have recently bought two Panasonic 2011 products and i have had two faulty 42GT30 tvs so far which isn't good.

Best of luck with the fight, don't give up.

StanleyAV

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
@Clare : Thanks for your support Clare. I hope your discussions with them lead to something fruitful for me and other customers like me who aren't getting the support they deserve.

Perhaps long term you may consider issuing caveats with your future reviews. Where there are known service issues with
leading companies or particular models to make that clear : at time of press or subsequently when you post online reviews.

@Oldboy, yes I will have to consider taking this up with my dealer.
When I originally mentioned service issues at time of purchase, his first response was to suggest any problems to be referred to a service centre hmmmm Well I know another owner was tearing his hair out after several attempts at a repair, which failed to resolve the problems with Z1. I do know of instances where dealer's pass the buck to Panasonic, and won't action a refund even - unless Panasonic authorise it.

I don't feel it's a big ask for the EU warranty to be honoured - that specifies replacement where repair is not possible.
This claim is genuine, I wasn't overly keen on having to replace Z1 at all, but it looks like I have no option. :(
That looks to involve a fight, if the dealer isn't cooperative.

StanleyAV

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying to persue this matter with my dealer at present. His response from Panasonic UK was not favourable -
they cite case history as cause for ceasing communication and not processing the warranty claim! :O

Bear in mind this saga has been going on for over 11 months, of course I've had cause to mail stern
but polite letters, to their product manager.
There have been a handful of previous matters such is the nature of Panasonic TVs :
panel lottery anyone? :?
And the quality of their customer service effort!

This is still highly unprofessional of them to pick and choose whether they want to honour their
own warranty. |(

Imagine if your garage you purchased an expensive car from refused to service your vehicle? :doh:
This is how Panasonic are behaving with me. The manager of my dealer will be back Monday, so I will
see what happens then. :roll:

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
I don't beleive it...case history, what the?

What are you supposed to do if you are getting no response or any kind of contact over an issue that is within warranty...just cross your fingers and hope?? That attitude says it all as far as i'm concerned, if they call that customer service then they live on a different planet to the rest of us and doesn't reflect well on Panasonic as a company now does it.

I would extremely angry if that were me and it seems to me that they will do anything they can to not honour your warranty which must be a legal matter now, your only hope is that your dealers manager can help you when he get's back because i can see no way Panasonic are going to help you unless you mount a legal challenge in the small claims court and it would be a sad conclusion to the issue if you were forced down this route just because Panasonic are acting like an angry child by stamping their feet in the playground.

Let's just hope you get better news from your retailer and that you finally get a resolution to the issue, no need to ask if you will get another Panasonic tv unless you have to eh :wall:

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
As I said from the start, i'm amazed Darren keeps going back to Panasonic, this being the 7th Panasonic TV he's returned in three years! Many people would have chosen a different brand by now...

I will continue to see if we can help in any way, but there's obviously a complex history here. Doesn't detract from fact that the current Z1 in question is still under warranty, and that a similar case has been resolved.

StanleyAV

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Just call me Mr Lucky, Clare :roll: : I had something of an unfortunate panel lottery when I first tried
Panasonic : sourcing them from John Lewis partnership - 4 duff ones in a row. Then I walked into
the saga of their 2010 range
- things went badly awry. As they did for many owners.

The Z1 was meant to be the end of the line for me. I hadn't anticipated any problems nor should
there have been any! |(

My parents are happy owners of two S10 models (from '09) and have no bother at all : at my
recommendation even! :D Talk about irony!

Why Panasonic you ask and not another brand?

Panasonic plasma can deliver the performance over and above the LCD/LED offerings if you
are lucky enough to have a good sample or have one free from processing gremlins! :p
I'm not after a mythical beast here, something that does not exist. I have an unerring knack
of hitting unforeseen icebergs though! :doh:

Reviews frequently extol the merits of this brand above other makes. Even your magazine is
highly enamoured of them. And yet users still seem to encounter gremlins that drive the discerning
viewer potty! :?

Nothwithstanding my luck, customer services in the UK is still a bugbear for many owners : my case
hilights how difficult things can get.

You wouldn't expect such poor service in the motor industry, can you imagine being told
we can not service your car sir/madam, you're the only one to have complained about this issue :
and then being left hanging for another 11 months while your warranty evaporates; and being
fully aware that it was resolved (if you can call a refund that) for another customer.

There are still acute service issues with Panasonic UK, despite your last summit with them over their
2010 range.

As OldBoy said previously, I shouldn't be placed in a position where I may have to
sue my retailer. This is a straightforward warranty issue, by way of an inherent design fault;
I don't think it's a big ask to want equivalent goods.

I needn't be suffering if they acted in a professional and customer focused manner.
I hope you can have stern words at executive level to help me and other customers with
Panasonic service issues.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts