Newbie needs help.

Only1BK

Nov 5, 2022
Visit site
Here is the scoop. I own a very nice pair of Linn Ninka speakers. I use this for all audio (tv, video gaming, music, etc.) in a small room fed by an old receiver.

I was just gifted a pair of Kef LSX II new in box.

Here is the question,

I could return the speakers and exchange them for an integrated amp and have been looking at the following:

Cambridge Audio CXA81

Rotel A14MKII
NAD C388
Arcam SA20
Marantz PM7000N

What would you do. I understand that sound is subjective but quality isn't.

Thanks

Reactions: Kutusov
Here is the scoop. I own a very nice pair of Linn Ninka speakers. I use this for all audio (tv, video gaming, music, etc.) in a small room fed by an old receiver.

Here is the question,

I could return the speakers and exchange them for an integrated amp and have been looking at the following:

Cambridge Audio CXA81

Rotel A14MKII
NAD C388
Arcam SA20
Marantz PM7000N

Thanks
you need an amp that will accept all those inputs you currently use.
How many of those you list will do that?

barcpc

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Mi vote goes to Cambridge Audio CXA81....

as always check that the AMP has the connections you need, maybe an AVR will do better? I'm thinking of the AVR because you seem to use them a lot for video games and TV. An AVR will be a much better experience than an AMP, in my opinion.

Only1BK

Nov 5, 2022
Visit site
Then I think you will need an AVR in order to have an HDMI ARC input.
I don't have any problem routing the sound via optical from TV to AMP, although I once connected a Peachtree amp via optical and, unfortunately, couldn't deal with the stepped volume control.

Since sound is subjective and my connections are minimal my main criterial is quality.

Back to the original question. Keep the LSxII or exchange for an integrated to run my Linn Ninkas?

treesey

Here is the question,

Cambridge Audio CXA81

Rotel A14MKII
NAD C388
Arcam SA20
Marantz PM7000N

Thanks

What would I do?

I'd ask you what you are trying to change, and why?

Then I'd
1) listen to the Kef vs the Ninka
If I preferred the Ninka,
2a) sell the Kefs or swop them for something else
If I preferred the Kefs,
2b) sell the Ninkas
3) throw a party with the money

but we still don't know why you are asking.......?

Reactions: barcpc

Only1BK

Nov 5, 2022
Visit site
I can't send them back for money. I won them in a promotion. They are free to me.

I don't want to open the KEF's because, if I exchange them I want to be considerate of the retailer that ran the contest.

So, would YOU keep the LSx II's and sell the Linn Ninka's.

or

Exchange the LSx II's for an integrated amp and continue using the Linn Ninka's.

Kutusov

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
I would keep the Ninka, I think. I never heard any of those speakers but it's very hard for me to believe that the tinny KEFs will give you the same sort of sound of big floorstanders. I had big and small speakers, I eventually get used to most but I still think size does matter if things are done right.

I think I've read somewhere the Ninkas are a bit bright, so I would look for something warmer. The Cambridge CXA81 is a solid bet if you are plugging in via optical.

I would probably do things differently but I'm guessing you are also limited to what the store has in stock. What keeps bugging me is that the amp is a lot of money and might be a serious overkill. Still, it's something you can keep and work around of if later you decide to upgrade anything. The internal DAC is very good but you could always get a better external one with HDMI ARC and plug it to the amp via RCA. You would still have a fantastic amp.

So my short answer is keep the floorstanders and get the Cambridge. :cool:

BTW, selling floorstanders might be a headache. Shipping prices are ridiculously for big volume packages.

Reactions: Al ears

Only1BK

Nov 5, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for your opinion, that helps.

TV has optical out, 2 Channel is all I am looking for. Just wondering if the sonics of 20 year old speakers with a new amp is substantially better sounding that brand new technology with amps designed for the drivers (also thinking about the LSx's with a sub or two.)

Thanks for helping me dig out of the rabbit hole I have put myself into overthinking my options.

Reactions: Kutusov

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts