newbie needs DAC help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks , new to the site but figured you all know what your talking about hence post !

i have just bought fron the US a TC7510 DAC . my pc has no optical output and so im using the 3.5 jack output to the DAC .

problems i have are :

1- the jack runs to 2 phono leads ( l&R) but the DAC only allows one channel to be selected

2- DAC is powered up , connected to AMP ( tried aux & CD inputs ) and coaxial selected .......no sound at all . ( all volumes up )

3- When i remove the DAC from the loop and connect direct from pc to amp sound is restored

am i doing something fundamentally stupid or do i need a specific lead etc?

i have reasonable understanding of things but by no means an expert so please go easy on me !

regards

Paul

Messiah

Hi Paul,

This is a Beresford DAC I believe?

For point 1. The 3.5mm to Phono connection you are using is analogue. The computer has already done the Converting from Digital to Analogue leaving the DAC redundant. As for the phono connection I believe this is an output on the DAC and not an input. You will need to feed the DAC a digital signal. Normally SPDIF I beleive but someone else I'm sure will correct me if I'm wrong.

For point 2. As you describe it you have nothing connected the the coaxial input so it won't output any sound.

Point 3 - this will and does work fine but you obviously loose out on the benefit of the DAC.

You will need to find a way to connect the PC digitaly to the DAC. Maybe wireless, using Airport Express?? Is there no other outputs on the soundcard?

Hope this helps....

A

Anonymous

Hi , thanks for reply .

it is a beresford ( though not badged as such ) . Item 2 i forgot to say i was connected from pc to DAC ( given point one im begining to hit my head on desk and wonder who the hell told me to get one of these !! )

im trying to get better sound quality from my music that is all stored on hard drive and was advised a DAC ...i can see an e bay listing coming !

no other outputs im afraid , just factory standard jacks ( one to monitor speakers and one for external ). Here's me thinking i had stopped spending !

John Duncan

Yes, you need some sort of digital output from your computer, which if it does exist is often an optical out from the headphone jack - what's the computer? May helus ascertain whether it has one or not.

jd

A

Anonymous

A

Anonymous

Hi Paul, don't worry everybody was new at some point to all of this. Well, you certainly do have a few fundamental issues here. The most important being that the DAC isn't doing anything for you as you're not feeding it a digital signal. You didn't mention what type of computer you are using, but you have a few options here. If its a desktop, its realatively easy to add a sound card that will give you a digital optical out connection. You can also add one to a laptop, although there isn't quite as good as a selection. You may have a digital connection already however, often the output on a computer doubles as an optical connection so if you tell us which computer we may be able to find out for you and then all you'll need is the correct cable. Your last choice is switching out your DAC for a USB DAC as every computer has a USB port - although using an optical cable is a better choice in most cases.ÿ

Basically you're not hearing anything because you are feeding the DAC an analog source, so the DAC isn't doing anything as it can't convert the Digital signal to an Analog Connection if you're already feeding it an analog signal. You don't have to use an external DAC as the computer has one built-in, but the external one will give you a better result.ÿ

Lastly, if you have a wireless network and you use iTunes, you can get an Airport Express and use its optical out into the DAC. You have a few options, depending on what you have already any of them will work well. ÿ

A

Anonymous

wow, starting typing the above then went to make some coffee, came back and posted but there were already lots of replies. I guess you've got your answer

John Duncan

pabloweaver:
hi , its a compaq presario desktop - SR1439uk

its about 5 years old now so its not going to be equipped with what i need .

might be the excuse to buy a new laptop ........

would one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-CH-5-1-optical-Controller-USB-Audio-Sound-Card-S-PDIF_W0QQitemZ300273757676QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_ComputerComponents_SoundCards?hash=item300273757676&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

do the trick ?

Yes - just add a toslink cable and you're away.

A

Anonymous

excellent , didnt fancy explaining to the girlfriend that i have to use the cash for her xmas present to correct an expensive mistake !

cheers!

John Duncan

Alternatively, you could add an airport express which will give you a digital output and allow you to site the DAC away from the PC if that helped. Works best if you use iTunes as your music manager though, and is a mite more expensive.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
A bit late now (unless you can return it for a full refund without problems) but I would have suggested a USB DAC (or a DAC with both optical and USB).

Now you will have an optical/usb adaptor and a DAC and (possibly) an Airport Express as well. This is a lot of boxes, leads, and expense to do one job and you will still only be getting 16bits and 48khz sampling anyway because it all hangs off a USB.

The CA DacMagic (£200) has both USB and optical and the Firestone Audio Fubar II USB DAC (£126) would both be one-box solutions.

(The DacMagic would be more future-proof because it gives you the option to use it's full 24/192 - optical input - potential, if and when you upgrade the computer one day.)

I am pretty sure that Stanley Beresford offers a very good returns policy if it is not too late for you to exploit it.

[Edit] OK, sorry, I just noticed you bought it from the USA and not here. So ignore all that. Looks like you are stuck with it.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi all,don`t want to hijack the thread but thought I`d post here instead of starting a new topic.My system is Cambridge Audio 640C v.1 cdp,Cambridge Audio 640A v.1 amp and Mordaunt Short 914 floorstanders all connected with decent quality cables. I am considering getting a CA Dac magic and would like your opinions on any improvements I would get or would my system not be capable of taking full advantage of the increased sound quality?
many thanks

A

Anonymous

Hi folks , many thanks for the advice and info .

was lucky enough to stumble across a maplins near me which i didnt know existed and got a new sound card with optical outputs for the princely sum of 20 quid .

5 minutes instalation and 20 minutes learning to ignore the install instructions and go with gut feelings ...hey presto sound !

once again thanks , no doubt i will be back with more enquiries now i know your here .

regards

Paul

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts