Newbie Help!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Please help - I am very confused on the ideal setup for my system.

I have a Yamaha DSP-AX863SE Amp that needs ot be hooked up to the following other components...

Panasonic DMP-BD55 Blu-ray

Sky HD

Sony PS3

Currently, I have hooked up the Sky HD and PS3 using HDMI into the Amp as well as Optical into the Amp for both. Then a single HDMI outputs to my Sony LCD TV.

Do I do the same for the Blu-ray player to make the most of the Amps/Blu-ray's audio capabilities? And are there any specific settings for the PS3 and Sky Box - at the moment they are both working fine (I have sound and pictures), but Im not convinced Im getting the optimum sound output on them?

All advice gratefully received. thanks

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
All you need is HDMI, (for Picture and Sound) into Amp for PS3 and Pana - no need for Optical , as for the SkyHD, AFAIK the HDMI should also be ok- however i dont have Sky anymore so not 100%................

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Panny to amp via HDMI only and then set to LPCM (if you want the player to decode) or Bitstream (if you want the amp to decode). It doesn't really matter where the decoding is done but by all accounts some features will have to be decoded by the player. Lossless is lossless.

As already stated, sky hd requires an optical connection (or on some newer boxes you have the option for digital coax but in the sound settings menu, it only refers to optical). You need to change the sound settings as well from the Services menu> System Setup.

Check the manual for the settings in your player. I always advocate leaving the amp in auto mode so that it defaults to the best sound but obviously with bluray playback you have to select the audio soundtrack at the menus before watching the movie, otherwise, it may default to a standard audio format.

TRENDING THREADS