New year new hifi ?

aversaurus

This year may go a bit vintage on the hifi front.
Many moons ago I had a large collection of sansui amps and stuff.
I sold most of the collection but kept a rebuilt au717 .not because it was the best but it was the most fragile and I didn't want to sell on a problem.
It then sat in the loft for 10 years or so .
IN November I got talking to a guy who rebuilds old amps and got thinking about my old sansui.
It hadn't been switched on in years .
How would it sound?
Would it even work?
How would it sound compered to my Leema Tucana?

Reactions: Symples

aversaurus

So I set up my sansui next to my Leema Tucana.
Warmed them up and did a direct comparison.
I also while I was playing around used my Leema dac as a pre amp and my au 717 as a power amp .
Then played my test tracks

aversaurus

The Leema is very good amazing really.
The sansui is more like a roksan full of power deeper base very open stereo image but lacking in detail .
Now a Leema pre amp and a sunsui used in power amp mode is a thing of beauty truly amazing.
So the upgrade would be for the new year.
My Leema pre amp with a sansui ba F1 power amp

The Leema is very good amazing really.
The sansui is more like a roksan full of power deeper base very open stereo image but lacking in detail .
Now a Leema pre amp and a sunsui used in power amp mode is a thing of beauty truly amazing.
So the upgrade would be for the new year.
My Leema pre amp with a sansui ba F1 power amp
Firstly, it proves the preamp does all the donkey work. The power is that: power amp.

Are you saying a Roksan Kandy delivers more power than a Tucana? I would say rubbish. I've heard various Kandys and owned the Tucana MK2. They are on different planets. Even the Pulse is better than the K2 - it brings the music to life.

A 40 year old better than a 3.5k 150 watt amp doesn't chime with me.

Sorry but I think you've overdosed on too many amps. You've owned more amps in the last 2 years than I have in the last 20 years.

Timbola

Nov 2, 2022
Visit site
No major plans for 2023 after some quite big changes (amp & source) in 2022. A power supply for the Qutest is quite a likely purchase. If some ATC SCM40 come up on eBay I could be tempted in order to compare them at home with my PMCs and sell whichever pair on I prefer least, without incurring much cost.
Otherwise just keeping my little one and cat away from the hifi is my main aim for 2023 :D

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
Going to keep a look out for a Michell Gyro se with an SME arm. No rush. But that will finish off this round of upgrades.
It hasctaken me years to get my Gyrodec, but it was worth it.
Hold on and wait for that bargain.
My Gyrodec came with an Orgin Live arm. I sold that and replaced it with a Rega RB303.

If you see a bargain Gyrodec, but not the arm you require. Buy it amd simply replace the arm :)

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
This year may go a bit vintage on the hifi front.
Many moons ago I had a large collection of sansui amps and stuff.
I sold most of the collection but kept a rebuilt au717 .not because it was the best but it was the most fragile and I didn't want to sell on a problem.
It then sat in the loft for 10 years or so .
IN November I got talking to a guy who rebuilds old amps and got thinking about my old sansui.
It hadn't been switched on in years .
How would it sound?
Would it even work?
How would it sound compered to my Leema Tucana?
We need to know

aversaurus

I don't think I did say a roksan Kandy was more powerful than a Leema Tucana it simply isn't.
But the 2 amps sound different.roksans have a more robust sound than a Leema .a Leema Tucana is more detailed and refined while still a powerful amp .
And as for the 40 year old sansui there's a reason there still around and sit near the £1000 mark for a good one .

Reactions: Al ears
I don't think I did say a roksan Kandy was more powerful than a Leema Tucana it simply isn't.
But the 2 amps sound different.roksans have a more robust sound than a Leema .a Leema Tucana is more detailed and refined while still a powerful amp .
And as for the 40 year old sansui there's a reason there still around and sit near the £1000 mark for a good one .
£1000 for a 40-odd year old amp is bonkers. Even my old Pioneer SA-706 are selling for between £400-£500 for good ones. I loved it but I would be very nervous of buying a amp that old, especially with over inflated prices.

The world has gone mad.

Also I all ready own the sansui and have done for over 10 years all I'm doing is plugging it in and having a play
Which begs the question. If the Sansui is so good why have you swapped boxes so often? You admitted more than once you're a box swapper.

As someone whose the polar opposite (Leema 13th year in 2023, Arcam CDP 15 years, Pioneer amp 17 years, RS6s since 2005 and still occasionally use)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts