New year new hifi ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
£1000 for a 40-odd year old amp is bonkers. Even my old Pioneer SA-706 are selling for between £400-£500 for good ones. I loved it but I would be very nervous of buying a amp that old, especially with over inflated prices.

The world has gone mad.
you mean a certain sector of the population has gone mad.....
have you seen the prices they are asking for some knackered old turntables??

Reactions: matthewpianist
you mean a certain sector of the population has gone mad.....
have you seen the prices they are asking for some knackered old turntables??
I know. It isn't just hi-fi, classic car prices have gone through the roof....

Anything tagged as classic or vintage has silly numbers.

Would I pay circa £400 for a amp that was first produced in 1976? (Referring to my old Pioneer amp). Of course I wouldn't.

Reactions: Al ears
Please don't take this wrongly, but with those Linton speaker you will never hear the best of the Tucana.

You really need MA Platinum, Dali Epicons, flagship Totems.....
Or Spendor.....
you could add anything you like.
However, I am a great believer in the fact that if the speakers work well in your listening room then it doesn't really matter which amp you use as long as it has adequate power to drive said speakers.
A blind listening test with two similarly specced amps and you would be hard pushed to tell which was being used.

Last edited:

WayneKerr

Please don't take this wrongly, but with those Linton speaker you will never hear the best of the Tucana.

You really need MA Platinum, Dali Epicons, flagship Totems.....
Agree with Al. At least this is better than the other way around, incapable amp driving very expensive speakers... there are some out there. I'm a firm believer in price matching components but if not then a good amp with lower spec speakers is next best thing.

Agree with Al. At least this is better than the other way around, incapable amp driving very expensive speakers... there are some out there. I'm a firm believer in price matching components but if not then a good amp with lower spec speakers is next best thing.
Can't disagree with that. These are the speakers that work well with the Tucana: Voodoodoctor, once of this parish had the PL100 working with his Tucana; someone on a different forum has Epicons and I know about Totems.

record_spot

No plans at the moment for new gear in 2023, though you never know. Still delighted with the 34 year old Kenwood DP-990SG CD player which is incredible. Really, I've no need to add anything. Might pick up the odd curio CD player for fun later in the year, but for now, nothing on the horizon and no plans to shift any of the main components till they finally give up the ghost.

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
I have completed my second system this year and am able to swop things around with switching boxes so ,no ,I am very satisfied with what I have got. However hoping to build a room in the garden to house it all,in the coming year,one of the advantages of living in Spain where land is cheap

Attachments

• 20221214_142159.jpg
    20221214_142159.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 12

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
What does the Cambridge offer that the Pioneer doesn’t?
Equal if not better sound quality (I've not demoed) but more importantly. Access to other online services.

Besides vtuner the N50A only has Spotify.
I have the Cambridge CXN V2 and can't praise it enough, so long as you have a good Internet connection it is superb. I use Tidal,the high quality tracks are really excellent, it's fairly expensive per month,but you gets what you pays for👍

Reactions: Symples

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
No plans to upgrade in 23, I've basically changed my whole system since April 22, maybe like a pair of solid steel stands for my neat petite classic, when I demd the Neats they were on the ss stands and aesthetically match better than my current atacama moseco 6 stands.....oh and I'd really like a origin live zephyr tonearm for the Avid....Next Christmas maybe.lol.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
No plans to upgrade in 2023 as my new speakers arrived yesterday. Now have Dali Rubicon 2s. Straight out of the box they are sounding so good and working very well with the Primare. Everything is that little bit snappier, can hear the strings being plucked on the guitar, drums are crisp, for small speakers deliver very good taught bass.

And to think they should get better as run in! Also not on stands yet as waiting for them to arrive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts