New Turntable Imminent

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I've just been reading a review on the Audiomods. In it, the Audiomods was compared favourably to an SME. One might think that's a good thing, but the thing is, I've sometimes seen comments stating the SME is 'dark' sounding, even lacking character. I have no real experience of tonearms, but I've always enjoyed the sound of my Planar 3 (RB300). This obviously means that the RB300 is my only point of reference. Now, I might love the Audiomods, but it's got me thinking if the RB2000 might be a better choice? I can get it for roughly the same price as the Audiomods.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I have a series 4 arm with micrometer adjustment. Easy to set up, looks good and sounds great to my ears. Bought second hand for £450.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Waxy said:
I have a series 4 arm with micrometer adjustment. Easy to set up, looks good and sounds great to my ears. Bought second hand for £450.
Thanks for that
thumbs_up.gif
Might sound like a daft question, but would you describe the sound as clinical/dark? I appreciate that the cart will have a large bearing on the sound produced, and I also appreciate that different folks have different preferences. One will often see the RB300 described as 'musical', I like that *smile*

If you don't mind me adding a comment, I've had both Rega and SME arms, and think it's very much down to budget and manufacturing quality. There is no doubt the SME surpasses any Rega arm I know and to that end is a buy-and-keep long-term item.

The only other arm I have had that comes close was from Origin Live. What those guys at Audiomods do to a standard Rega arm is amazing and if it where my money this is the route I would go down rather than the other Rega you mentioned.

Whether either of those arms could be described as 'dark' is highly debatable as I don't believe you can describe a tonearm, on it's own, in any reasonable manner. You have to audition the tonearm with a cartridge and this pairing you can describe.

If you are keeping your 1042 then you will have to consider which toners is most compatible with it.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
If you don't mind me adding a comment, I've had both Rega and SME arms, and think it's very much down to budget and manufacturing quality. There is no doubt the SME surpasses any Rega arm I know and to that end is a buy-and-keep long-term item.

The only other arm I have had that comes close was from Origin Live. What those guys at Audiomods do to a standard Rega arm is amazing and if it where my money this is the route I would go down rather than the other Rega you mentioned.

Whether either of those arms could be described as 'dark' is highly debatable as I don't believe you can describe a tonearm, on it's own, in any reasonable manner. You have to audition the tonearm with a cartridge and this pairing you can describe.

If you are keeping your 1042 then you will have to consider which toners is most compatible with it.

Thanks Al
thumbs_up.gif
As far as I'm concerned, the table is sorted, the 'Inspire'. So, just the arm to sort. You know what it's like, don't want to make the wrong decision. Words like 'inert' frighten me almost as much as words like 'coloured' *biggrin* As for compatibility, would you happen to know the suitability of an Audiomods/1042 pairing? Something to do with mass? I can't remember.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Don't know about the SME IV being dark, but it certainly opened everything up over the RB303, do you mean the background ? The noise floor just dropped away. Set up is amazingly easy and it's such more industrial looking very well built too.

Once you get into MC territory the IV allows less compliant cartridges to be used that would not work on the RB303 - I'm only just scratching the surface with my lowly but very good for the money AT33.

Arms make a difference ? Certainly yes but is that difference is perceived as an improvement or different.

persinally my experience was the soundstage completely changed - I have a very 3 dimensional image - is the IV worth the money........IMO yes because it bought something extra over the RB303.

i have an RP8 £1598 compared to my Gyro/IV - yes the Gyro is better but the RP8 comes unusually close to it - but I know the Gyro/IV can take a better cart so going forward it is the better sounding deck - however I do enjoy an RP8 - lively fast and musical

Freddy58 said:
Al ears said:

Thanks Al As far as I'm concerned, the table is sorted, the 'Inspire'. So, just the arm to sort. You know what it's like, don't want to make the wrong decision. Words like 'inert' frighten me almost as much as words like 'coloured' *biggrin* As for compatibility, would you happen to know the suitability of an Audiomods/1042 pairing? Something to do with mass? I can't remember.

There are charts, I'll try to post a link, that require the effective mass of the tonearm and cartridge weight etc.

I will have a look when I get a moment

https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_resonance_evaluator.php?eff_mass=8.5&submit=Submit

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
You've had experience of both Rega and SME tonearms, could you shed a bit of light on how they compare?
I'd say the RB300 has a bit of "character", which I suppose is usually code for musicality. I've heard Rega and SME arms on Michell decks, and for those that aren't too keen on the Michell/SME tonal balance - very neutral, precise, maybe a little tiring to some - the RB300 takes that perceived edge off, softening the Michell a little. Of course this can also be achieved somewhat with the cartridge, or enhanced further with arm and cartridge. The detail level of SMEs is staggering on the right deck though, if that's what floats your boat.

I prefer SMEs myself, but then, at quite a price hike (even more now), you'd expect that.

Just had a look and I cannot find the effective mass of the Audiomods arm. You're better off phoning them for it and their opinion on pairing with 1042.

If you're looking at SME then, considering recent price hike, look around for a good condition used one, I did.... ;-)

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
for all the input
thumbs_up.gif
As I said, the Audiomods was compared favourably to the SME (can't remember which one). I took this to mean they sounded somewhat similar, bearing in mind this was during the listening test. I feel that David has hit the nail on the head and seems to get where I'm coming from, given what I've been reading. I suppose the problem is as already stated, in that my only experience is that of the RB300. I certainly wouldn't play down the SME, indeed I'm well aware of its status. I'm also aware that many owners will have some rather exotic cartridges fitted. I consider the 1042 to be quite 'fulsome' in it's delivery, but quite capable of a certain level of delicacy, but again, I have very little experience of carts, so it's just my impression. I think it would take a pretty bad arm to spoil what I like about the 1042, so to that end, I've decided to indeed go for the Audiomods arm, once I've had a chat with Jeff, the owner, about the suitability of the 1042.

Al, thanks for looking into that for me
thumbs_up.gif

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
Freddy58 said:
Just been chatting with Jeff (Audiomods) who said the 1042 is fine, so just about to place the order via e-mail

Excellent choice Sir, enjoy when you get it.

Thanks Al
thumbs_up.gif
Jeff said it would take around a month to supply. He'll be sending it direct to Inspire, so probably very shortly after that I get my new TT. The problem now though is choosing a colour!

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Freddy

Think you will be very happy with the Inspire. I had mine done a few years ago ( my Planar 2 was bought in 1990) and very very happy, took it to a new level. Robert is very easy to deal with, happy to talk things through and i had no issues with emails either, but you can't beat the phone for a proper chat about what you want, no hard sell, very good customer service.

I went for the dark mahogany, although they don't seem to offer that anymore. Its my profile pic.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
jimbofisher said:
Freddy

Think you will be very happy with the Inspire. I had mine done a few years ago ( my Planar 2 was bought in 1990) and very very happy, took it to a new level. Robert is very easy to deal with, happy to talk things through and i had no issues with emails either, but you can't beat the phone for a proper chat about what you want, no hard sell, very good customer service.

I went for the dark mahogany, although they don't seem to offer that anymore. Its my profile pic.

Hi jimbo, still alive then? *biggrin* Now the decision is made, I can now relax a bit and am actually getting quite excited at the prospect. As you say, Robert is a great guy, the only problem is getting a word in edgeways! *biggrin* It's nice to deal with someone who can give pointers, but with no hard sell, as you say. For the price, I think I'm doing quite well, overall
thumbs_up.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
All this talk of the Goldring 1042 makes me reminiscent of my (sky blue) Rega Planar 3 with 1042 and Rega's optional tungsten counterweight that I had for eleven years between 1996 and 2007. (Plus two replacement 1042 stylii during that period.)

It had a tendency for some very 'dark' and even 'cavernous' bass with reggae content (especially Sly & Robbie at their best in records like 'the Dub Factor' and 'Sheffield Steel').

Try and play a mint condition copy of XTC's 'English Settlement' double LP with the 1042. Made for each other!

The 1042 is THE moving magnet for all those 1980s, 45rpm 12" singles too.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
chebby said:
All this talk of the Goldring 1042 makes me reminiscent of my (sky blue) Rega Planar 3 with 1042 and Rega's optional tungsten counterweight that I had for eleven years between 1996 and 2007. (Plus two replacement 1042 stylii during that period.)

It had a tendency for some very 'dark' and even 'cavernous' bass with reggae content (especially Sly & Robbie at their best in records like 'the Dub Factor' and 'Sheffield Steel').

Try and play a mint condition copy of XTC's 'English Settlement' double LP with the 1042. Made for each other!

The 1042 is THE moving magnet for all those 1980s, 45rpm 12" singles too.

I thinks it's great. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, if I had the confidence of other, more experienced cartridge buffs. It was a huge step up from the preceding AT95 (e?). I'll happily live with it for some time to come.... I think *biggrin*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts