New to PC based music

StevieC

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Although I've used an MP3 player for years I've only recently started messing around with using the PC to play music at home - and I'm less than happy. Seems no matter what format I use (MP3, WAV, lossless, or even when playing an original CD) the sound coming from the soundcard is rather "thin" when compared to anything else i.e. CD player, DVD, TV, etc. Everything is connected to same amp & speakers.

My question is simply: Before I rush out and buy a DAC is there anything else I should be checking or do we expect this sort of thing from a standard soundcard?

And if a DAC is the answer: Appears the Beresford TC7520 and the MF V-DAC are both noticeably cheaper than a DACMagic. Is it worth paying the extra? Any comments on this also greatly appreciated. Stretching the budget is usually accompanied by an equal stretch in the other half's patience!

Thanks, Steve

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i would say the first thing to do is make sure that your os/media player/soundcard driver are not mangling the sound somehow. somewhere on this forum is pjpro's guide to setting up a pc for audio.

i'm pretty sure a decent dac would really elevate the sound quality, particularly with lossless files. it's hard to know whether you would benefit from one dac over another without knowing the rest of your kit, but if you have a budget setup, then i think from a sound quality point of view you'd be hard pressed to say one was better then the other - just slightly different. the dacmagic has the advantage of 3 filter settings, so the sound can be tailored slightly to match kit/tastes. the beresford has the advantage of a half decent headphone amp.

what cdplayer do you have? a dac with lossless files could give it a real fright!

idc

In principle PC to DAC to amp to speakers will compete with far higher priced CD players. But as above, we need more info to help you really get the best product.

StevieC

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
My PC is 5 years old and running XP & SP2. To play the music I've probably tried more software than I can remember the names of, none of which have created any significant improvement to the overall "thin" sound. I don't use any equalizers that are included with any of the software but you can never be sure if there's something going on that you're unaware of.

The CD player is a Marantz CD5400, a 5 star budget amp when it was new I seem to remember. My amp is an old Technics SU-V670 (about 1987/88 I think) - I've considered updating it with something more modern but what would I have to pay for something at least as good? I've got a few different sets of speakers which get swapped around every now and again.

Having said all that the amp & speakers aren't really an issue at present, I would be happy if I could get at least the same sound from the PC as I get from the CD player.

Where the problem most likely lies is the fact the PC is only connected to the amp by a cable from the line out on the soundcard as there's no other choice at the moment, hence my thoughts about a DAC.

I have read some of PJPro's posts but must admit I was starting to get a bit lost with some of the more technical aspects.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
StevieC:
My PC is 5 years old and running XP & SP2. To play the music I've probably tried more software than I can remember the names of, none of which have created any significant improvement to the overall "thin" sound. I don't use any equalizers that are included with any of the software but you can never be sure if there's something going on that you're unaware of.

The CD player is a Marantz CD5400, a 5 star budget amp when it was new I seem to remember. My amp is an old Technics SU-V670 (about 1987/88 I think) - I've considered updating it with something more modern but what would I have to pay for something at least as good? I've got a few different sets of speakers which get swapped around every now and again.

Having said all that the amp & speakers aren't really an issue at present, I would be happy if I could get at least the same sound from the PC as I get from the CD player.

Where the problem most likely lies is the fact the PC is only connected to the amp by a cable from the line out on the soundcard as there's no other choice at the moment, hence my thoughts about a DAC.

I have read some of PJPro's posts but must admit I was starting to get a bit lost with some of the more technical aspects.

a very easy way to smash your cd players performance is a DAC and download J River's Jukebox. No need to install any plugins are play about with the software, WASAPI is already on the software and this will bypass your soundcard and give you bit perfect audio straight to your DAC.

idc

It seems to me that the sound is thin because you are using the soundcard as your DAC and sometimes use lower quality files.

Sound wise I have not heard a difference between Windows Media Player and itunes when both use lossless files. I would look at itunes, WMP, Media Monkey, Song Bird and Foobar and see which media player suits you the best. The get a nice DAC and away you go.

Once you are set up you can then tap into the vast world of online music from the likes of lastfm, Spotify, Napster, we7 and the likes.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:......a very easy way to smash your cd players performance is a DAC and download J River's Jukebox. No need to install any plugins are play about with the software, WASAPI is already on the software and this will bypass your soundcard and give you bit perfect audio straight to your DAC.
Not sure WASAPI is going to be much use on XP.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
StevieC:......

Which bits? Perhaps I or others on the forum can elaborate.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
PJPro:Gerrardasnails:......a very easy way to smash your cd players performance is a DAC and download J River's Jukebox. No need to install any plugins are play about with the software, WASAPI is already on the software and this will bypass your soundcard and give you bit perfect audio straight to your DAC.

I didn't know that it wasn't compatible with XP, the OP can use ASIO then, you get a choice of the two.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:PJPro:Gerrardasnails:......a very easy way to smash your cd players performance is a DAC and download J River's Jukebox. No need to install any plugins are play about with the software, WASAPI is already on the software and this will bypass your soundcard and give you bit perfect audio straight to your DAC.
I didn't know that it wasn't compatible with XP, the OP can use ASIO then, you get a choice of the two.

thanks for the info, i just try doing that.

affordable web hosting
cheap hosting

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts