New System Purchase

dmd

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
Following a few years where I have not listened to music, I am now keen to begin listening again.

I do not have room to store lots of CDs and so have decided downloads are the way to go for me. I am interested in hi-res downloads (including DSD). I want a system that is easy to use and would like to be able to play my music by plugging in a USB hard drive or a USB flash drive containing my downloads. I do not want to use my PC as a music source. I would prefer not to use an app to play my music.

I have been looking at the Naim Uniti Atom (and have had it demoed) and really like the system. It is, however, a little pricier than I would like and the business of finding an appropriate speaker cable has made my head spin more than once (I am now looking at Chord Clearway cable).

The other option I have been considering is a Pioneer N-50AE with a Rega Brio. This is more acceptable price wise but I have been unable to find any reviews of the Pioneer N-50AE and my local dealers do not stock both pieces of equipment for me to listen to.

Owing to budgetary constraints, I will be using my old Tannoy Sensys DC1 speakers until I can afford an upgrade.

Any feedback, advice, etc. you can give will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
dmd said:
Following a few years where I have not listened to music, I am now keen to begin listening again.

I do not have room to store lots of CDs and so have decided downloads are the way to go for me. I am interested in hi-res downloads (including DSD). I want a system that is easy to use and would like to be able to play my music by plugging in a USB hard drive or a USB flash drive containing my downloads. I do not want to use my PC as a music source. I would prefer not to use an app to play my music.

I have been looking at the Naim Uniti Atom (and have had it demoed) and really like the system. It is, however, a little pricier than I would like and the business of finding an appropriate speaker cable has made my head spin more than once (I am now looking at Chord Clearway cable).

The other option I have been considering is a Pioneer N-50AE with a Rega Brio. This is more acceptable price wise but I have been unable to find any reviews of the Pioneer N-50AE and my local dealers do not stock both pieces of equipment for me to listen to.

Owing to budgetary constraints, I will be using my old Tannoy Sensys DC1 speakers until I can afford an upgrade.

Thank you.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Maybe you can demo the Yamaha WXC-50, several forum members are very pleased with that model.

I don't know about the Pionner N50AE, but I think the first iteration of the N50 couldn't read some hard drives, so you should check.

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I use a Pioneer N50A and A30 amp for years now. Performance is anything I could ask for. If you have the chance give the A30 a listen and save yourself some cash. It is a class AB amp, unlike the A50 and A70 which are class D. The A30 drives my Dali Zensor 7 WAY better than my NAD356 did. I also compared it with a friend's amp, a Marantz pm6005 and we both preferred the Pioneer. Anyway, if you have any quest regarding the N50A let me know, spec wise it's not that different from the AE.

dmd

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
Thank you, both, for your replies.

The Yamaha WXC-50 is on on my reserve list as it requires the use of an app. I do not have smartphone and so would have to use my tablet (which is currently turned on once a week at most); I just know that I would not listen to music so much if I had to access an app to play the music. Despite what one dealer tried to tell me, the Atom can easily be controlled by its remote.

I will look into the Pioneer A30. I assume the N-50A allows you to play music using the remote control (or, to put it another way, I assume it does not require an app t play music). Did you have any of the hard rive issues referred to by Pedro?

Thank you.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
dmd said:
Thank you, both, for your replies.

The Yamaha WXC-50 is on on my reserve list as it requires the use of an app. I do not have smartphone and so would have to use my tablet (which is currently turned on once a week at most); I just know that I would not listen to music so much if I had to access an app to play the music. Despite what one dealer tried to tell me, the Atom can easily be controlled by its remote.

I will look into the Pioneer A30. I assume the N-50A allows you to play music using the remote control (or, to put it another way, I assume it does not require an app t play music). Did you have any of the hard rive issues referred to by Pedro?

Thank you.

If you want to avoid an app completely in normal use, then one of the better all in ones by Marantz or Denon might be your best option.

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
dmd said:

Thank you.

I've been looking at one of these. Ticks all your boxes I think

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/r-n803d/index.html

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't use the remote app. I prefer ordinary remote controls. I stream Spotify by using the official Spotify app. Everything can be controlled with the remote. The remote of the Pioneer A30 lets me control everything.. N50A, Pioneer cd player, etc.

I heard about the hard drive issues on the original N50 when I was on my quest for a streamer. But the N50A had no such problems if I remember correctly. No problems playing music from my hard drive or USB, but I mainly use Spotify.

dmd

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
Thank you. Sorry, I should have mentioned that I will never buy another piece of Marantz equipment because each of the three (two amps and one CD player) I have owned broke around the two/three years mark.

I remember looking at the Denon DNP-730AE but cannot recall why it did not make my list. I shall add it back on to my list.

dmd

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
Troy62 said:
https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/r-n803d/i...

Thank you for the link. I looked at the Yamaha NP-S303 network player but overlooked the stereo receivers.

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Dont know how much you are willing to spend but the new Nova Fidelity X35 is an amplifier, streamer, cd player, cd ripper, DAC, and a lot more with a 7 inch screen.

Here in the Netherlands it is a lot cheaper than in the UK though.

jjbomber

dmd said:
want a system that is easy to use and would like to be able to play my music by plugging in a USB hard drive or a USB flash drive containing my downloads. I do not want to use my PC as a music source. I would prefer not to use an app to play my music.

The other option I have been considering is a Pioneer N-50AE with a Rega Brio.

Oppo 105EU (secondhand now as discontinued) with a WD My Passport USB hard drive. It is all operated by the remote control. Add on either a Rega Brio or Naim power amp, depending on which sound you prefer.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
dmd said:
Troy62 said:
https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/r-n803d/i...

Thank you for the link. I looked at the Yamaha NP-S303 network player but overlooked the stereo receivers.

Even the much less expensive Yamaha RN602 will do 24/192 DSD and that is less than £400. The RN803 is new and still quite pricy, both look suitable for your reqirements though the 803d does offer rather more.

Both have Spotify Connect which is perfect for your needs.

dmd

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
Nelis87 said:
Dont know how much you are willing to spend but the new Nova Fidelity X35 is an amplifier, streamer, cd player, cd ripper, DAC, and a lot more with a 7 inch screen.

Here in the Netherlands it is a lot cheaper than in the UK though.

Thank you. I have looked at the X35 but it is pretty expensive (approximately £1,700 at a quick search) and it seems to be too good to be true. I could not find any reviews of the X35 and the user manual did not inspire confidence by referring to Cocktail Audio X35.

dmd

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Oppo 105EU (secondhand now as discontinued) with a WD My Passport USB hard drive. It is all operated by the remote control. Add on either a Rega Brio or Naim power amp, depending on which sound you prefer.

Thank you. I shall make a note to look into the Oppo (and Oppo in general).

Muddywaterstones

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
dmd said:
Thank you. Sorry, I should have mentioned that I will never buy another piece of Marantz equipment because each of the three (two amps and one CD player) I have owned broke around the two/three years mark.

I remember looking at the Denon DNP-730AE but cannot recall why it did not make my list. I shall add it back on to my list.

If Marantz is off your shopping list, Denon should probably suffer the same fate, as they are sister firms. No judgement on them from my point of view. I've had no grief from Marantz.

jjbomber said:
dmd said:
want a system that is easy to use and would like to be able to play my music by plugging in a USB hard drive or a USB flash drive containing my downloads. I do not want to use my PC as a music source. I would prefer not to use an app to play my music.

The other option I have been considering is a Pioneer N-50AE with a Rega Brio.

+1

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
This is a good alternative. All in one. Does a lot, plug in USB drives are plug and play. Dead simple. Aldo CD player, FM radio (proper tuner) DAB radio, Internet Radio, even a phono stage. Streamer and amp all in one. Great system and sub £500.

dmd

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
Muddywaterstones said:
If Marantz is off your shopping list, Denon should probably suffer the same fate, as they are sister firms. No judgement on them from my point of view. I've had no grief from Marantz.

Thank you for that. I did not know the companies were related. Funnily enough I never had any trouble with my Denon PMA 350SE.

dmd

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
nick8858 said:
This is a good alternative. All in one. Does a lot, plug in USB drives are plug and play. Dead simple. Aldo CD player, FM radio (proper tuner) DAB radio, Internet Radio, even a phono stage. Streamer and amp all in one. Great system and sub £500.

Thank you. I will look into it.

dmd

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
Nelis87 said:
I use a Pioneer N50A and A30 amp for years now. Performance is anything I could ask for. If you have the chance give the A30 a listen and save yourself some cash. It is a class AB amp, unlike the A50 and A70 which are class D. The A30 drives my Dali Zensor 7 WAY better than my NAD356 did. I also compared it with a friend's amp, a Marantz pm6005 and we both preferred the Pioneer. Anyway, if you have any quest regarding the N50A let me know, spec wise it's not that different from the AE.

Nelis87, in the user manuals for the N-50A and N-50AE it states 'The USB port of this unit conforms with the USB 2.0 standard. The transfer speed may be insufficient for some content you play, which may cause some interruption in sound.' Have you experienced any such problems with the N-50A? Thank you.

dmd

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for that suggestion. The Cambridge Audio CXN and Cambridge Audio CXA60 were on my initial list but I was put off by the review stating the latter needed careful partnering and my being stuck (for now, hopefully!) with Tannoy Sensys DC1 speakers - with the thought of lugging my speakers to the dealer (as far as I am aware there is no parking close by and I have health problems), I quickly decided to look at other options. An additional problem was that the CXN only supports DSD64.

dmd said:
Thank you for that suggestion. The Cambridge Audio CXN and Cambridge Audio CXA60 were on my initial list but I was put off by the review stating the latter needed careful partnering and my being stuck (for now, hopefully!) with Tannoy Sensys DC1 speakers - with the thought of lugging my speakers to the dealer (as far as I am aware there is no parking close by and I have health problems), I quickly decided to look at other options. An additional problem was that the CXN only supports DSD64.

That's more than most and you are unlikely to hear any difference with DSD128 or above.

johnnyboy1950

May 27, 2013
Visit site
DSD? dont know much about the format. Your dog (if you have one ) may appreciate it. I think there is too much emphasis on tiny differences in SQ. With regards to careful

matching well you should be OK with the the CXN and The CXA yes? Ive looked on internet about matching speakers and the cambridge gear dont seem any worse than any other types. so new speakers can come later me thinks.

Note: although WHF gave a lower review to the CXA80 than the 60 if you look on the owner reviews alot of people on the CXA60 threads are preferring the CXA80. Time for a rethink WHF?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts