New system - need advice on Tannoy speakers, amplifier etc

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm doing up my living room (21ft x 14ft) and I want to install a new HD screen and surround sound system. I am completely out of touch so have lots of questions...

I have some 5.1 Tannoy Mercury speakers but I'm missing the sub woofer. They must be 10 years old and haven't been used for ages.

Is it worth keeping them for use in a new HD home cinema stup? If so, should I get a sub woofer and what would you recommend here if I want to match them up? I'm not certain of the model number off hand - it might have been m1 going from memory. Does a sub woofer make a big difference?

Why is it that the new amplifier receivers do HD video processing? Is it just for upscaling from DVD's to HD 1080? Is it usual to have all the optical signals going through the receiver now?

Do blu ray players play DVDs? What about music CDs and video / slideshow CDs? I've tried burning slideshows onto CD but my current DVD player won't play them.

I've spoken to a professional installer but he want to charge £400 to mount the screen, run in all the cables and mount the speakers. This will include cables but does not include digging the trenches for the cables. It sounds a lot to me. What do you think?

The current plan is as follows: 46" lcd screen, Humax freesat HD pvr, new amplifier / receiver, blu ray player, and maybe 5.1 speakers. No idea what to go for yet, but my budget is around 2000-2500 for the kit.

Cheers,

Gary

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the forums!

gary2009:I have some 5.1 Tannoy Mercury speakers but I'm missing the sub woofer. They must be 10 years old and haven't been used for ages.

Is it worth keeping them for use in a new HD home cinema stup? If so, should I get a sub woofer and what would you recommend here if I want to match them up? I'm not certain of the model number off hand - it might have been m1 going from memory. Does a sub woofer make a big difference?

On your speakers, you may be able to get better ones, but given your budget for everything, I think you should leave them as is for now and concentrate on getting the TV, amp and Blu-Ray player with the money you have. You can then look at an upgrade at a later date which will give a bigger performance improvement.

On the sub front, it's going to depend on the layout of your room and what your current speakers are like, but I would definitely look into it by auditioning a few. It's not as important that the sub matches your other speakers, but Tannoy make some good ones like the TS-10 which is £300 and recently awarded 5 stars by WHF.

gary2009:Why is it that the new amplifier receivers do HD video processing? Is it just for upscaling from DVD's to HD 1080? Is it usual to have all the optical signals going through the receiver now?

Most new HD receivers over a certain price include upscaling which is, as you say, used to upscale SD sources (like standard Freeview, DVDs etc.) to the resolution of your TV so that it appears full screen. I personally wouldn't be led too much by this as, in my experience, the upscaling units in the source (e.g. the DVD / Blu-Ray player) or in the TV are better than the one in the receiver until you get up to the likes of the £1,500 - £2,000 units.

However, a lot of receivers also offer HDMI upconversion which allows you to plug all your sources into the receiver and then have a single HDMI cable going from the receiver to the TV. This has the advantage that, when you change the input on the amp, you get the correct sound and also the correct picture on the TV with just one button press.

gary2009:Do blu ray players play DVDs? What about music CDs and video / slideshow CDs? I've tried burning slideshows onto CD but my current DVD player won't play them.

Virtually all Blu-Ray players will play purchased DVDs and CDs. Some will struggle with CD-Rs, CD-RWs, DVD-Rs etc. and the like and you need to check before you buy. The same will be true with video CDs and slideshow CDs.

gary2009:I've spoken to a professional installer but he want to charge £400 to mount the screen, run in all the cables and mount the speakers. This will include cables but does not include digging the trenches for the cables. It sounds a lot to me. What do you think?

Does that include all the mounts as well? Best bet would be to get a few more quotes and see how they compare, but I would also ensure the installer is a member of CEDIA which should guarantee you a certain level of quality. What area do you live in? Some people may be able to recommend dealers in the area if they know.

A

Anonymous

The installer didn't say anything about the mounts. I don't know whether he is a member of CEDIA either.

I live near York. I know of a few installers in the area where I could get more quotes so I'll try that next.

Thanks for the quick response.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I used to own a mixed Tannoy Mercury setup consisting of the older Mercury M3 fronts and newer Mercury MX series for the rest. They were/are seriously good speakers for the money. I'm not saying that they can't be improved upon. I eventually plumped for Focal Chorus 800 series as replacements after trying the much rated Revolution Signatures, which imo are poor. I would look at improving the other areas of your system first as speaker technology doesn't change much and the Mercuries are excellent, if a little dated in looks/finish.

A matching sub isn't as important as the other speakers. They don't really have a sound signature as such. I would highly recommend the SVS and BK Subs. I have an SVS that I imported from the states and it performs very well indeed. Lots of deep controlled bass. There are other more well known brands around but I don't think you can beat either SVS or BK for value. The Monolith only costs £400 and will outperform subs costing a lot more.

A

Anonymous

The problem I have with the sub is that I have two very young kids - 19months and 2 months. Is there anything I can do yo make a sub more child friendly - and to protect it?

Do they have to be floor mounted? I can imagine my kids climbing on top.

Are there any sub woofer designs that are child proof?

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I can't imagine a kid damaging a sub any more than any other piece of furniture. Go for a downward firing sub so the driver isn't exposed and avoid a piano black finish (sticky fingerprints) and you should be fine. The SVS and BK subs are bombproof. Think of them a sturdy side table. If your kids don't damage the other pieces of furniture, they shouldn't trouble a sub. You will obviously still have to tell them to keep away from it, simple discipline I suppose but then again you can't watch them all the time.... and due to the weight, it wouldn't be practical to site them anywhere other than on the floor.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Like the man says - if you choose a substantial, down-firing sub, it will be pretty indestructable. I stand on mine to change the bulb in the wall-light above!!!!

More of an issue is a little finger poked into a tweeter cone. I remember this happening when my eldest was into everything. Fortunately, the vacuum cleaner suction trick saved the day.

I would go with your Tannoys and build your system around them for now. At 46", you may find plasma more to your liking - check the reviews in the mag to get a short-list. If you're considering wall-mounting, don't put it much above eye-level. One of my pet hates is magazine advertising showing screens high up on walls like paintings. Don't do it unless you want chronic neck ache.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts