New steps: ?? + Nait XS + Rega RS5

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
MoData said:
I'm thinking of replacing the rega mira with a brio-R.

I would arrange a demo to compare the two before parting with cash :)

Good call, Frank. The Brio-R was really good, but different, and not necessarily better than the Mira-R.

At the end of the demo, here's what i did:

I told the dealer I'm trading in the Mira3 and the Rega Dac for the Nait XS and the Saturn and got a fairly good deal.

I later called him to hold off on the Saturn to give me a few days to mull over the source. He was happy to give me a Saturn for a home demo once my Nait XS comes in.

Still not quite sure what I want to do about the source.

I know one of the members is using a Saturn + Rega DAC with the Nait XS. I'm not sure I want to go that route. At that price point, I'm almost at what the Naim DAC will cost, and I could just use my squeezebox since the Naim apparently has a pretty good buffer to get rid of any jitter introduced by the sb. Anyway, way too much money...

Any suggestions that make long term sense?

One option is the Saturn today, with the Naim Dac in a few years when i win the lottery.

A

Anonymous

Why the change in source you ask? The SB touch + Rega DAC just isn't working for me. A laptop into the Rega DAC works much better than the SB Touch into the Rega DAC.

It seems a waste using the Saturn only as a transport.

Here's another question: If I kept the Rega DAC, can you recommend a cheaper transport option, that'll make it on par with the Saturn sound (sans the rega dac?)

MoData said:
Why the change in source you ask? The SB touch + Rega DAC just isn't working for me. A laptop into the Rega DAC works much better than the SB Touch into the Rega DAC.

I'm curious. It that "works better" in the operational sense, or sounds better?

Would a Naim Uniti solve your problems?

A

Anonymous

Doesn't sound any good, even after 6 months of fiddling. The USB connection works better, which points to jitter issues in the sb, probably due to networking issues.

Don't want to do the Naim Uniti thing: want to upgrade speakers in the near future.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Have you heard the Saturn (without external dac) yet? I would have thought home demo of that is the place to start if you were going to buy one. What other sources does the dealer have? Might the dealer let you have a few things on home demo?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts