Simonsaysit

Mar 24, 2021
Visit site
Hi all. I recently upgraded to a Rega Elicit-R amp with Apple Music streamed over Wi-fi via an Apple Airport Express. No CD player, occasional use of a turntable. Chord cables and interconnects but an old pair of Maudant Short 916i floorstanding speakers. I don’t mind the sound from the speakers, but then again, I thought my NAD 314amp sounded good before I changed it for the Rega SO... maybe I should upgrade the speakers and have that same feeling again, see what the system can really do.
I like floorstanders for their “look”, they seem to blend into my Victorian house better than stands speakers (it wouldn’t matter how good the Kef LS50 mettas were they’d be an eyesore in my home); I’ve seen the Wharfedale Linton on stands and they look great, love the traditional look, but will I really notice the sound difference I wonder.
Has anyone else made a similar move recently? - not necessarily to the Lintons but upgrading speakers within a similar budget.

Reactions: AVDude

Simonsaysit

Mar 24, 2021
Visit site
So are you looking for something that simply looks the part?
Perhaps the Wharfedale Evo 4.3
For me, I can’t entirely ignore the way it looks; it can’t “simply look the part” no, I want them to be designed in a way that I find aesthetic. I do like the look of the Evos and was considering the 4.4 so that’s a great suggestion. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 116933

Hi all. I recently upgraded to a Rega Elicit-R amp with Apple Music streamed over Wi-fi via an Apple Airport Express. No CD player, occasional use of a turntable. Chord cables and interconnects but an old pair of Maudant Short 916i floorstanding speakers. I don’t mind the sound from the speakers, but then again, I thought my NAD 314amp sounded good before I changed it for the Rega SO... maybe I should upgrade the speakers and have that same feeling again, see what the system can really do.
I like floorstanders for their “look”, they seem to blend into my Victorian house better than stands speakers (it wouldn’t matter how good the Kef LS50 mettas were they’d be an eyesore in my home); I’ve seen the Wharfedale Linton on stands and they look great, love the traditional look, but will I really notice the sound difference I wonder.
Has anyone else made a similar move recently? - not necessarily to the Lintons but upgrading speakers within a similar budget.

between floorstanders and metas yeah you'll notice the difference I sound

Lintons and floorstanders, no you're not going to notice much difference if any. The Wharfedales have a lot of cabinet volume, there basically floorstanders on stands. a bit like the JBL classic and or Klipsch heresy's

Reactions: Simonsaysit
between floorstanders and metas yeah you'll notice the difference I sound

Lintons and floorstanders, no you're not going to notice much difference if any. The Wharfedales have a lot of cabinet volume, there basically floorstanders on stands. a bit like the JBL classic and or Klipsch heresy's
I thought he meant between the Lintons and his MS 916i, it wasn't very clear

Simonsaysit

Mar 24, 2021
Visit site
I thought he meant between the Lintons and his MS 916i, it wasn't very clear
I hear you both. I suppose the main thing is I do want to know I’m going to hear the difference between current and future (perhaps EVO 4.4 or Linton) speakers as I was absolutely amazed at the difference the change of amplifier (Nad to Rega) made and am quite excited about the idea that it can be better. Current bass sounds a little basic, undetailed I suppose. I’m unlikely to change them again so I’m looking for a set “for life”.
Apologies if I’m wasting anyone’s time with this query, maybe I should just buy some and get on with life. Lol.

I hear you both. I suppose the main thing is I do want to know I’m going to hear the difference between current and future (perhaps EVO 4.4 or Linton) speakers as I was absolutely amazed at the difference the change of amplifier (Nad to Rega) made and am quite excited about the idea that it can be better. Current bass sounds a little basic, undetailed I suppose. I’m unlikely to change them again so I’m looking for a set “for life”.
Apologies if I’m wasting anyone’s time with this query, maybe I should just buy some and get on with life. Lol.
Not wasting time but you might be wasting yours if you cannot wait until you can audition... :)

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I have the Rega RS3 speakers which I brought in a light brown colour which I use with my Rega Brio-R amp and they sound awesome When I brought them new years and years ago I pad less than a grand for them and they sound better than most speakers that cost over a grand. I recommend these since you use a Rega amp so think about picking up these bad boys. You should be able to get them for even less than I paid for them at the time, I paid £700 If I remember rightly.

rainsoothe

You really have to try to audition, preferably in your own room. Wharfedales are a solid choice, the Lintons look amazing, imo. But you might need to give them some room. What I would do first would be to play with the speaker positioning, giving them some room from the back wall might help with the messy bass.

Also, the airport express is defo not a quality source, and if you're using MP3, that makes it even worse.

Reactions: nopiano

Simonsaysit

Mar 24, 2021
Visit site
Hi. I did a digital scale mock-up if EVO 4.3,4.4 and Lintons and my wife and I agree the 4.3 are the only choice size-wise for our living room so I’m going to get them on trial.
I’m sure you’re right that the Airport Express is not as good as a CD source but for streaming music it’s actually not bad, I read quite a few reviews (notably Ken Rockwell reviews it well). I will probably change it at some future point to test a different DAC- probably a Cambridge Audio offering or the Bluesound. I think Apple Music is streamed as AAC format. I know Tidal streams a higher bit rate but the Apple service suits mine and my families needs perfectly- we all listen to more new music now than ever.
I’ll try moving the speakers around as you advise, thanks.

Hi. I did a digital scale mock-up if EVO 4.3,4.4 and Lintons and my wife and I agree the 4.3 are the only choice size-wise for our living room so I’m going to get them on trial.
I’m sure you’re right that the Airport Express is not as good as a CD source but for streaming music it’s actually not bad, I read quite a few reviews (notably Ken Rockwell reviews it well). I will probably change it at some future point to test a different DAC- probably a Cambridge Audio offering or the Bluesound. I think Apple Music is streamed as AAC format. I know Tidal streams a higher bit rate but the Apple service suits mine and my families needs perfectly- we all listen to more new music now than ever.
I’ll try moving the speakers around as you advise, thanks.
I must be psychic..... :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts