New Speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Al ears said:
CnoEvil said:
You might consider putting ART and GamuT on your list....I haven't heard either, so can't give personal insight.

I have heard Audio Physic, which were quite good.

Nobody has mentioned Raidho yet, so I will. :-0

Never heard of them. They sound like a comedy washing powder: "You want clothes that sing in the washing machine? Then buy new non-biological Raidho...."

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Andrewjvt said:
plastic penguin said:
Andrewjvt said:

Although i respect your wish not to go active cant understand why you wish the passive handicap.

Like you've handicapped your system?

Like all passive systems correct

So that includes your system. Correct?

LIkE ALL passive systems

If you got that much money why muck about?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Another left field suggestion, loop: ever tried Avantgarde horn speakers? IME another great match with a Dev, and excellent with valves too. Dynamics to die for...

They might be a tad big though. Maybe the Uno XD? If you have somewhere to demo, that is.

nano_bild1.jpg

And then there's these ex-demo ATC EL150SE's. Oh, man! But I guess you won't come shopping in Brussels, will you?

ATC_150_-_1_1024x1024.jpg

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the input. Sadly just learned of a family bereavement so not been able to post at length.

I will comment back on the suggestions when I have more time.

About Actives: I'm really not interested because for me this is a hobby I like to play around with. I run two systems because I like to swap components around. I enjoy the differences between valves and SS Amps and between the differences differently designed speakers make. Call me a box swapper if you like.

An Active system would bore me.

Also for me, it's really not about the best sound for the least money. If that was my goal, I'd buy a headphone Amp and some headphones.

shadders

Andrewjvt said:
plastic penguin said:
Andrewjvt said:

Although i respect your wish not to go active cant understand why you wish the passive handicap.

Like you've handicapped your system?

Like all passive systems correct
Hi,

This is an important point. Can YOU explain why passive speakers are as you have stated?

When I state YOU, I mean provide YOUR own study which may or may not be peer reviewed?, for all on this forum to understand the basis of your statement.

Thanks and regards,

Shadders.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
shadders said:
Hi,

This is an important point. Can YOU explain why passive speakers are as you have stated?

When I state YOU, I mean provide YOUR own study which may or may not be peer reviewed?, for all on this forum to understand the basis of your statement.

Thanks and regards,

Shadders.
It might be better to start a new thread for discussing the active vs passive thing rather than continuing it in this one.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
It might be better starting a new thread for discussing the active vs passive thing rather than continuing it in this one.

Just a suggestion. :)

+1. Please let's keep this on topic, gents...*kiss2*

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the kind messages. She was an elderly (93) but dear friend and family member. Will be sadly missed.

Re: Actives.

I see this thread has been hijacked by the usual Active component.

I stated at the outset that I am not interested in Active speakers.

I have also given my reasons for this.

Could those involved please start (yet) another thread on this subject, if you really feel you must.

Thanks.

gasolin

plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
CnoEvil said:
You might consider putting ART and GamuT on your list....I haven't heard either, so can't give personal insight.

Never heard of them. They sound like a comedy washing powder: "You want clothes that sing in the washing machine? Then buy new non-biological Raidho...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdD8NdK4PJ0

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
I'm getting ready for a new pair of speakers and I have a healthy budget due to Mrs loop giving me the green light to spend some of last year's bonus!

I have PMC Fact 12, KEF Reference 3 (the 5's and the blade 2's are too big for my listening rooms, the Fact 12's might not work either...), Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution (love my SF Cremona Auditors and their bigger brother is more handsome too) & Magico S1 on my audition list.

Any other recommendations? - Actives are definitely off the menu.

Can I ask how big your listening room is? I run Fact 12's in a room measuring 4.5m x 5.5m and get good results. I used to run them with a Devialet 800 and they had great synergy.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Electro said:
How about these, PMC IB2 SE only a little bit more than the facts. *man_in_love*

Indeed. I had PMC IB2S's in my room for a while and they are a fine loudspeaker. I know a few of the guys at PMC a little bit and am reliably informed that the Fact 12 project goal was to achieve the IB2 sound in a Fact 8 sized box. Goal achieved in my opinion.

Also the jungle drums are loudly banging about a new, high end domestic speaker in the offing from PMC, which will sit above the Fact 12. Yummy yummy!

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I'd love to hear how those speakers sound. I remember hearing the Jim Rogers 149 speakers in a demo about 35 years ago. They lacked bass extension and were very inefficient but had such a clarity and a spacious 3d image of the music. Other speakers I heard sounded so much flatter. I ended up buying something more efficient for my A and R A60 amp.

I regretted not buying them in years to come . (Very expensive pre-owned) I often wonder why some speaker manufacturers do not pursue this cylindrical (steel? ) design. At a reasonable price.

How much do the ATC EL150SE's cost and do they have a similar sound signature to the JR149 speakers? (ie wonderfully spacious clear 3d sound).

cheers tonky

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
If you have a healthy budget go then for not only good sounding speakers but also beautiful looking ones. "Magico S1" , "Raidho X 1" , "GamuT Phi 7" , new "Heco Dreiklang" or "Leema Acoustics Xeta" etc.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
tonky said:
I'd love to hear how those speakers sound. I remember hearing the Jim Rogers 149 speakers in a demo about 35 years ago. They lacked bass extension and were very inefficient but had such a clarity and a spacious 3d image of the music. Other speakers I heard sounded so much flatter. I ended up buying something more efficient for my A and R A60 amp.

I regretted not buying them in years to come . (Very expensive pre-owned) I often wonder why some speaker manufacturers do not pursue this cylindrical (steel? ) design. At a reasonable price.

How much do the ATC EL150SE's cost and do they have a similar sound signature to the JR149 speakers? (ie wonderfully spacious clear 3d sound).

cheers tonky

Hi tonky,

Frankly, I haven't demoed these babies myself; I just stumbeled upon the offer on a second hand site. Moreover, they're too big and too expensive for me.

But they do look glorious IMO. And indeed the cylindrical shape must help in avoiding standing waves and thus keeping the sound clear and crisp, and building a sharp stereo image.

I heard the curved SCL11 and the SCL 40 (passive and active -- but let's not go there *wink*), and hearing the difference between these two, I can only imagine how the 150s must perform!

As for the price ticket: 48.000 EUR new, and 20.000 EUR for this ex-demo pair... Gulp.

plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
CnoEvil said:

You have missed an opportunity there then. :)

Google them. Brilliant speakers all, many with just as many plaudits as those Magico people ( which also sounds like comedy washing powder).

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
DocG said:
tonky said:

cheers tonky

Hi tonky,

Frankly, I haven't demoed these babies myself; I just stumbeled upon the offer on a second hand site. Moreover, they're too big and too expensive for me.

But they do look glorious IMO. And indeed the cylindrical shape must help in avoiding standing waves and thus keeping the sound clear and crisp, and building a sharp stereo image.

I heard the curved SCL11 and the SCL 40 (passive and active -- but let's not go there *wink*), and hearing the difference between these two, I can only imagine how the 150s must perform!

As for the price ticket: 48.000 EUR new, and 20.000 EUR for this ex-demo pair... Gulp.

Thanks for the info DocG - I think I will continue to look for a pre-owned JR149 pair (much cheaper) - I think the Physics of the cylindrical design reducing standing waves must be well known to that design. So I wonder why other manufacturers don't make an attempt to produce this type. I am sure they would do well if the price was right.

Speaker kits too have kits circa 70s designed speakers BBC type, Rogers designs and Transmission line types - but no cylindrical speaker kits.

It's all very interesting tho . Tonky

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
tonky said:
DocG said:
tonky said:

cheers tonky

Hi tonky,

Thanks for the info DocG - I think I will continue to look for a pre-owned JR149 pair (much cheaper) - I think the Physics of the cylindrical design reducing standing waves must be well known to that design. So I wonder why other manufacturers don't make an attempt to produce this type. I am sure they would do well if the price was right.

Speaker kits too have kits circa 70s designed speakers BBC type, Rogers designs and Transmission line types - but no cylindrical speaker kits.

It's all very interesting tho . Tonky

I guess a cylindrical cabinet is harder and thus more expensive to produce; and definitely challenging for DIY!

Never heard of JR149s. I may be too young... Ha! I'll ask my mate, Google.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I would imagine the steel would have to be pre-cut to size and shaped to a cylinder by some sort of press. So it would have to be bought that way. - could be quite cheap if mass produced.

At least there would be no expensive veneers to worry about! Look up the JR149 speakers - generally well received.

cheers Tonky

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
Bowers & Wilkins 803?

If room size is a constraint wouldn't the 802's be better? Dunno, just a thought.

Room size is a consideration as is placement as these are going in the main living room which is about 6m x 4m. The speakers fire across the central section of the longest length (I've had them firing the other way and they sound terrible!).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts