New speakers? Which?

sellinglennon

Apr 4, 2023
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a Cambridge Evo 150 with two Dali Opticon 2 MK1 speakers. The Evo needs an update, it has more power to give. So I've talked to my wife and see know there is an upgrade needed ;-)

My budget is max €1250.

I 'm thinking about the Kef r3 (Not Meta). Do you guys have any suggestions?

Hi all,

I have a Cambridge Evo 150 with two Dali Opticon 2 MK1 speakers. The Evo needs an update, it has more power to give. So I've talked to my wife and see know there is an upgrade needed ;-)

My budget is max €1250.

are we restricted to standmounts?
I can only suggest you go audition whatever you can as we have not got your ears....

My room is about 25 m2..

I am considering Kef R3, LS50 Meta, Dali Menuet SE, Wharfedale Evo 4.2...
I can imagine any of these making a good showing, given how tastes and rooms can vary.

I’ve owned the original LS50 with a pretty serious amplifier and they are great if you’ve got the patience to optimise them. Here in the UK the original R3 were £1300 but often 15-20% off, and remaining stocks are £899 or less. I think they look more domesticated especially in Walnut, whereas the LS50 are ‘monitor’ looking.

Wharfedale even more traditional looking but with modern tech.

Now, go listen! Good luck!

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Do you like the Dalis but just want more? If so consider moving up the Dali range, as well as listening to others. I have the Rubicon 2s and really pleased with them. I know the list price is out of your limit but you may get a good deal as I did as they have discontinued two colours including the walnut so I got a nice discount.

Worth doing a search to see, eg here in UK:

£1399

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
Hi all,

My budget is max €1250.

Shops such as Seven Oaks let you take demo speakers home to try. The acoustics of your home are significant. You have to leave a deposit equal to the price of course. Give each pair a few days of listening. It’s worth googling for reviews with measurements, to get some idea of the underlying tonal balance.

Shops such as Seven Oaks let you take demo speakers home to try. The acoustics of your home are significant. You have to leave a deposit equal to the price of course. Give each pair a few days of listening. It’s worth googling for reviews with measurements, to get some idea of the underlying tonal balance.
as the OP isn't in the UK I doubt SevenOaks are likely to do that.

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
My room is about 25 m2..

I am considering Kef R3, LS50 Meta, Dali Menuet SE, Wharfedale Evo 4.2...

I am currently listening to a pair of Kef LS50 Meta, and I am very impressed by the sound. They handle different genres well including classical (Janacek, Shostakovich), folk (Pentangle), heavy (Superjoint), misc. (Jean Leloup, Boubacar Traoré). They are also really good for podcasts in French, our Gallic cousins do tend to mumble, but they don’t defeat these pups.

The looks are a bit challenging, but attractive in their own modern way. And they need 50cm space behind without plugs, closer with but you lose a bit of bass. I will order some as they are top notch in my subjective opinion.

Of course you should also demo others on your list.

Last edited:
Reactions: njprrogers

GraemeM

Feb 25, 2021
Visit site
Hi all,

My budget is max €1250.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Have you thought about going the active speakers route?
I made the plunge couple years ago and without prejudice, I can honestly say I'm far more immersed in my music than ever before.
I am great fan of professional studio speakers , that isn't HiFi that isn't tailored in a particular way to give a colourful sound.
The top end Adam A series (X-Art ribbon tweeter) mono amplification speakers are really exceptional in terms of high resolution detail and accuracy of sound.
If active speaker option resonates with you please also consider Focal Shape 50 Studio Monitors. A pair will cost roughly £1.2k
This goes without saying, your final selection, you need to weigh in the room size and positioning, this should always be factored in when making your final choice.

Last edited:
I made the plunge couple years ago and without prejudice, I can honestly say I'm far more immersed in my music than ever before.
I am great fan of professional studio speakers , that isn't HiFi that isn't tailored in a particular way to give a colourful sound.
The top end Adam A series (X-Art ribbon tweeter) mono amplification speakers are really exceptional in terms of high resolution detail and accuracy of sound.
If active speaker option resonates with you please also consider Focal Shape 50 Studio Monitors. A pair will cost roughly £1.2k
This goes without saying, your final selection, you need to weigh in the room size and positioning, this should always be factored in when making your final choice.

His budget is 1250 Euros...
He would also have to purchase a preamp possibly, depending on what he needs to connect.
The Cambridge Evo 150 is an all-in-one player so he's probably got it for a good reason....

Given the OP hasn't been online since the 5th April, we can only assume he's either purchased a new pair of speakers or kept his old ones.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts