New Speakers advice please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Following advice from previous posts, I have descided to replace my Elac Jet speakers. All the electronics are Naim, CD3.5/Flatcap, 82/Hicap & 250.2. To boost base a touch I also have a PMC TLIE Subwoofer.

My room is 4m * 4m and I mostly listen to Pink Floyd, Genesis, Meatloaf, type stuff. The speakers need to be placed close to a rear stud wall ( 15cms max ).

My budget would be up to £ 2,000 and I prefer a warmer type of sound. ( hence goodbye to the Elacs )

Advice most welcome, and does anyone anyone know what a second hand pair of Elac Jets are worth ?

A

Anonymous

Hi amarocknrollstar,

They are the 310i in black with the black matching stands. I bought them in Radfords, Bristol about 5 years ago and they cost me £1,000

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
Hey, can't see any listings for them. Best advice I could offer is get a price from a dealer for a used pair and use that as your guide. Maybe drop the reserve by £100 if listing on ebay.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, only problem is that I cant find a dealer who actualy stock Elac anymore. Obviously this will effect the price as well. I was thinking of £ 200 ish.

Anythoughts on what to replace them with. I would prefer small and compact ( ish )

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="FloJoe"]does anyone anyone know what a second hand pair of Elac Jets are worth ?[/quote]

rrp was around £1000, the last 2nd hand pair went for £400 on private sale (the later "i" version with dedicated stand). Trade in price = about £300 - £350n (against £2000 speakers).

A

Anonymous

Thanks Thaiman, do you think any dealer would p/ex them, or would I have to track down an Elac dealer ?

What would your recomendations be for a small ( ish ) compact speaker for a room and music as described earlier. I would prefer something similar in size to the elacs or my previous speakers Epos 11.

Thanks

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="FloJoe"]

Thanks Thaiman, do you think any dealer would p/ex them, or would I have to track down an Elac dealer ?

What would your recomendations be for a small ( ish ) compact speaker for a room and music as described earlier. I would prefer something similar in size to the elacs or my previous speakers Epos 11.

Thanks

[/quote]

Last time we speak you were gonna try a small PMC (DB1+s)....Did you get a chance?

Many Naim dealers now going a bit nuts on Kudos so check them out too. My old pair of Sonus Faber Cremona Aud still in the Hifisound shop in Darlington, and that was mint (apart from string grills) he may do them for a good price too, smooth as silk...them

A

Anonymous

Thaiman

No, not had chance yet, do you think they are a quality speaker ?

I will have to loan a pair because in my part of the world the Naim dealer does,nt do PMC and the PMC dealer does,nt do Naim.

At one time in Bristol you could compare Naim, Linn & Meridian all in the same shop, but alas no-longer.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Naim doesn't like dealer to compare their products directly with other brands....standard policy I've been told.

As for the PMC, I haven't heard the latest version! I was just remember that what you siad on your last thread.

Kudos, Neat, B&W, Sonus Faber, I reckon you wouldn't go too far wrong with them 4 brands (I haven't heard kudos but many friends rate them highly)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]
Naim doesn't like dealer to compare their products directly with other brands....standard policy I've been told.

[/quote]

Naim does'nt like a lot of things ... but have moved more with the times of late and ... reap the rewards with it. If they chill a bit more and loose some of their still inherent 'anorak' (elitist ?) stigma even I could bring myself to admit liking some of the stuff, especially the entry level 5's for sane money. Still, they are never afraid of supplying their products for magazine tests so can't be that opposed to having the products compared.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts