New Speakers or New CD Player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Advice please,

I have £ 3k to spend on either updating my Elac Jet loudspeakers or replacing my Naim CD3.5 / Flat Cap. The rest of my system comprises Naim 82 Pre Amp & Hi Cap, Naim 250.2 Power Amp and a PMC TLIE Sub. I think the system sounds a bit bright and harsh, so would look to the new components to warm things up a little.

Suggestions most welcome

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
£3k? and a warmer sound?

the 3.5 gotto go! and Elac jet, although the drivers are very well made, Naim don't like aluminum/metal drivers (if that is the model I am thinking of!)

So may be CDX-2 and a pair of PMC FB1+ , well over budget if you buy them new but ex-demo or 2nd hand deal might leave you enough cash for a High line connect cable.

John Duncan

Speakers, without a doubt - I heard those Elacs once and to my ears it was like listening to a cheesegrater (no disrespect), whilst I don't think the Naim gear could be accused of lacking warmth.

Plenty of speakers out there - I think the large PMC Floorstander (GB1? OB1? I forget) would be a good place to start (though I'd question the need to have a sub as well if you got the biggest one) and the Wilson Benesch Square Two is something I'm keen to hear, but for ultimate gorgesouness (visually and aurally), try to find someone who can let you hear some Sonus Fabers.

John Duncan

[quote user="Thaiman"]
£3k? and a warmer sound?

the 3.5 gotto go! and Elac jet, although the drivers are very well made, Naim don't like aluminum/metal drivers (if that is the model I am thinking of!)

So may be CDX-2 and a pair of PMC FB1+ , well over budget if you buy them new but ex-demo or 2nd hand deal might leave you enough cash for a High line connect cable.
[/quote]

Ha. Tomayto/Tomatto.
emotion-2.gif

Did we just say the same thing in roundabout ways?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]and the Wilson Benesch Square Two [/quote]

warmer sound certainly not 2 words you can use with them!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice, and yes they are the model your thinking of.

In what order would you suggest the upgrade path to start. ie CDX2 or Loudspeakers first. The Loudpseakers will have to sit close to a stud rear wall. Are the FB1+ ok with that?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="FloJoe"]ie CDX2 or Loudspeakers first[/quote]

Tough call that! both are out class by your amp imo.

I would go with speakers first, FB1 will need to be about a foot from the back wall though....other speakers that would work is Neat Acoustic (which I had my old pair only 10cm from the back wall and no boom in the bass department), or a gorgeous pair of Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor.

John Duncan

[quote user="Thaiman"]
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]and the Wilson Benesch Square Two [/quote]

warmer sound certainly not 2 words you can use with them!

[/quote]

Ok, that was from a point of view of ignorance, certainly - I just fancy the look of them, but this is in comparison to the Elac's aluminium tweeter
emotion-1.gif

At least we're agreed on PMC and Sonus Faber
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Max distance from the wall is 20cms, so sound like the FB1 wont work as well. Several years ago I compared the PMC floorstander at the time with the Elacs. I chose the Elacs because the PMC had far to much base boom coming of the rear wall, which was a shame. The Elacs are very open, but when the volume goes up, so does the level at which the sound irritates. I will try and get a loan of the Neats from any local dealers that stock them plus the smaller PMC floorstanders that got a very good write up in this months magazine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts