Auditioning new speakers for Nait XS... suggestions needed please :-)

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey all.

I have a demo booked in at Sound Organisation in York next weekend, who have specially ordered in the Rega RS7's in for me to listen to.

Can anyone else suggest a few others to audition against whilst im there?

I will be doing head to head with my current 683's just to see what Im missing really (if anything), as the Nait XS apparently gets on with Rega speakers quite well. Unfortunately they dont stock Kudos otherwise I would listen to the X2s also, I would appreciate some info on where I might be able to listen to these with my kit if anyone knows anywhere...

I am quite open to any kind of speaker, stand mount or floorstander. Was really looking for the holographic imaging and timing type of traits. My 683s have bass in abundance but i get the feeling that It can be equalled whilst doing everything else better... I do like the way they put out the low stuff though :)

I listen to a bit of all sorts but mostly house / dance and quite a lot of pink floyd and acoustic set music too, such as Sara K. Quite eclectic im sure you will agree.

Just want magic really, dont we all?

Suggestions on a post card please :)

Kind regards

Dan

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi, give some PMC GB1i's a whirl.

Dependant on your room size possibly even DB1's. But you are demoing RS7's so I am assuming your room is fairly large.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As well as the Rega speakers, try the KEF Q700's, and the ProAc Studio 115's. All three have quite a different sound, but you'll more than likely like one of them. You could also look out for MA's upcoming GX50 - if they match up to the Naim as well as the RX series, they'll be worth an audition.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Except Sound Organisation don't stock Audiovector. In fact, according to the distributor's website, only three retailers in the UK do stock the brand.

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Cheers for all the replies so far peeps,

Just to answer the question aout the room its not big by any standards but i have found that my 683s work quite well where they are placed. The bass goes deep without boom and the mid and treble seems well balanced for the size of the room (approx 4x3).

The size of the room is whats making me consider standmounters too. I will have to give Sound Org a call next week to see what else ill be able to listen to.

Im not sure they stock all mentioned but ill ask when I call.

Any other suggestions as to what to listen to? Anyone actually got an XS with any of the above?

Kind regards

Dan

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Don't think you'll be disappointed with the Rega's, but the ProAc D18's come highly recommended... Vicars Hi Fi in York stock these.

Sugden A21L amp, Naim CD5XS CDP, Chord Cobra3 i.c. ProAc Studio 130 speakers.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
I used to run an XS with my Rega R3's. Lovely
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I like them a lot with my Rs5s too. Really depends on your room though. Sometimes they're too forward, sometimes they're perfect. Depends on my mood too. :)

The cool thing about the Rs5s (or other Rega speakers) is that it's really like having two different speakers. They sound a lot different depending on whether you;ve got the bass firing inwards or outwards. They're also forward firing, so a lot easier to place flush against the wall.

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Well guys and gals,

just got back from the speaker audition. In short although the RS7 is a fantastic speaker (especially the bass quality) I didnt feel it gave me that much more than I already had with the 683's. So in one way im happy that Im not missing out on much.

Listenened to 2 other speakers whilst I was there, some Linn Majik 140's which surprisingly were fantastic! (surprising in the fact that I didnt want to like them due to the look of them to start with).

Also listened to the B&W 805 diamond..... Im in love haha! bit more saving to do there then!

After it all I asked to listen to the 683's with the CD5XS. Why oh why did I not do this in the first place?! such an improvement in every single area, the problem is to get one I will only recover about 65% of the original cost of my CD5i if I trade it in, which I can understadn as the dealer has to sell it again!

But in the end you live and learn. I will likely save for the CD player upgrade first and then re-audition speakers at a later date.

Any questions on any of the kit I auditioned please let me know :)

Oh and big props to Sound Organisation, truly a fantastic dealership and catered to my every wish. I did feel sorry for the poor gent who had to keep carting these heavy boxes around only for me to say that the biggest difference of the day, bar the 805's was the next CD spinner up in the range! :p

Regards

Dan

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Apart from the usual suspects that work well with Naim (ie ProAc and Spendor) here are two suggestions from left field: maybe try the Harbeth P3ESR and the Elac BS243.

The Harbeth is a beautifully accurate bookshelf and very tonally neutral though a bit insensitive at 84db. The Elac is more sensitive at 87dB and has a ribbon ("Jet'' in Elac's terminology) tweeter which means a very fast and accurate treble/midrange. And yes, both work well with Naim.

TRENDING THREADS