new sky HD box

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
hi folks,this morning i saw a much smaller sky HD box....so when i got home i rang sky.

they told me that it was a new model,and indeed smaller.they offered me it for£199....or the 1tb thingy for £150.

my question is .... has anyone got this new small box...is it reliable?

read the great review on the 1tb version,but no reviewon its baby brother!!

cheers

graham

simbo188

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Dont know if this will help you but I recently got a letter off sky actually asking me if I wanted anytime+ I rang them they said that my Thomson Hd box was not compatable with anytime+ but wait for this they are giving me a brand new (not reconditioned) one for the grand sum of Zero, nothing, less than £1, cant believe it getting it installed next week.Might be worth another call.

Good Luck!!!!

Kevin

A

Anonymous

I have not seen any smaller boxes from the ones they brought out about 6 months ago.

They had the big hd boxes then the next gen, which was a little smaller and more HDD, but they are standard now.

And then the 1tb box, not paying 150 for a 1tb box, when I can buy my own drive and install in my box, which will be less than 40.00 and take less than 10 min to install.

daveh75

spsplastering said:
hi folks,this morning i saw a much smaller sky HD box....so when i got home i rang sky.

they told me that it was a new model,and indeed smaller.they offered me it for£199....or the 1tb thingy for £150.

Currently Sky supply the Amstrad DRX 890 which has a 500GB HDD (250 GB for recording and 250GB reserved for Sky/Anytime use) and is the 'standard' box supplied for all new installs, And the DRX895 '1TB' box ( has a 1.5TB drive fitted, 1TB for recording and 500GB for Sky/Anytime use) and is available as an upgrade for £149 - £199 depending on what offers Sky are running at the time.

They are smaller than the original Sky+HD boxes, but can't really be considered as 'New' since they've been available for about a year now.

Sky intoduced the Amstrad DRX595 SkyHD box last month, which has single tuner and no HDD and runs a modded version of HD EPG and also based on better/newer chipsets than either of the above and can output DD5.1 via HDMI and is slightly smaller than its siblings, but is only currently supplied as additional/Multiroom box.

spsplastering said:
my question is .... has anyone got this new small box...is it reliable?

They're more reliable than the original Thomson Sky+ boxes, but no better than any of the previous Pace/Samsung models.

I wouldn't be paying £199 for a DRX890 from Sky though, when you can by them from the likes of satbuyer for £189 and won't be subject to another 12month contract that you will be if you buy direct from Sky, or get the 1TB from Sky @ £149

Also Sky do seem to be keeping their word atm, and concentrating on better CS, and better deals for existing customers (which is what the originally promised when the hit 10million subscribers) rather than better deals for new customers of old, so would get back on the phone to them and try for a new 'standard' box for free. Perseverance does seem to pay at the moment.

As simbo has stated, Sky are also offering free replacements to HD subscribers with Thomson boxes to atm as they're not capable of running the 'Darwin' S/W that enables Anytime+...

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
thanx for the replies guys:)

not being tech savey,i wasn't aware of any differences in HD boxes,didn't even realize they were made by different manafactures......i have heard about the small HD box for multiroom,but two days ago i saw this lovely little box,sitting under this womans tv...when i asked how long she had it,she replied only a couple of weeks(which is why i persumed it was a new model)

the box was identical to mine(2007)just smaller.

will keep on at sky to do me a better deal.....which i find is almost impossible,becouse i dont live in a cabled area.

cheers

graham

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts