New room - advice please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello!

We are part way through having an extension built which will mean moving my hifi into a new much larger room and I am a bit concerned that it will be slightly lost! The new room is 5.8m x 5.8m with a vaulted ceiling and the equipment I'm using I've had for +10yrs being a Musical Fidelity X-Ray, a Musical Fidelity X-A200R and standmounted Dynaudio Audience 42's.

Do you think it will be OK or will I be looking at an upgrade? I've not bought any equipment (apart from a GS Novo) for years so have no clue where to start!

I listen to a huge variety of music including acoustic guitar, rock, blues and jazz and my budget would be £1500.

Thanks!

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
The greatest obsticle in hi-fi is getting speakers to work in a room.

You may find the 42's are suited when you have them set up. But you may find them a little light on the bottom end as the room is a good size, that all depends how much reinforcment you get from the walls. If they are sounding light it could be worth experimenting with a sub to undepin the mid and treble.

Worth trying the system in the room first though.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
If the speakers don't produce enough bass to fill the room, try moving them a bit closer to the rear and side walls. Just a bit at a time because it can become boomy pretty fast.

Just give it a try and see/hear how it goes.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
You should wait until your room is finished, but in the meantime you might want to start looking around for and listening to a decent set of floorstanders with a higher sensitivity than your Dynaudio 42s (rated at 86db). As well as looking the part furniture-wise in a large room the floorstanders will have greater sensitivity (90db+) and produce a much louder sound for a given amplifier power.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts