New PMC Fact Fenestria

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I am PMC ‘til I die, and I have to admit that after much deliberation they are uuuuugly... and that’s coming from a guy who owns the world’s ugliest speakers! For me it’s not so much the aesthetic concept that lets them down so badly, it’s the execution and the detailing. They just look hammed together, almost as if they were conceived by using left over parts.

Visually not my taste at all, but I suspect they sound great!

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Function over form makes a very welcome change indeed !

I would much rather have a speakers that sounds sublime than a shiny lifestyle box that sounds mediocre, it is extremely rare that you get both in one package and that goes for almost everything in life.

I think the PMC's look pretty but also functional and that would suit me down to the ground. *good*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
I am PMC ‘til I die, and I have to admit that after much deliberation they are uuuuugly... and that’s coming from a guy who owns the world’s ugliest speakers! For me it’s not so much the aesthetic concept that lets them down so badly, it’s the execution and the detailing. They just look hammed together, almost as if they were conceived by using left over parts. 

Visually not my taste at all, but I suspect they sound great! 

Are much better imo

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Gazzip said:
I am PMC ‘til I die, and I have to admit that after much deliberation they are uuuuugly... and that’s coming from a guy who owns the world’s ugliest speakers! For me it’s not so much the aesthetic concept that lets them down so badly, it’s the execution and the detailing. They just look hammed together, almost as if they were conceived by using left over parts.

The detailing is the result of 'floating' the midband and treble free from the main cabinet, so it's not affected by the bass. The sides of the cabinet are also floated, in order to act as dampers for the whole structure. And apparently every part is new, and unique to this speaker.

But I agree, it's rather unlike anything else PMC does, apart perhaps from its BB6 XBD-A stack, but even that has a 'bass on the bottom, treble on the top' layout. The Frenetics go instead for a spin on the class D'Appolito orientation.

I think if PMC would’ve come up with something that looked like Bang & Olufsen, they’d have been accused of taking the lifestyle route (which is not really what they’re about), and producing something that is form over function. I think they’re right to stick with a typical looking loudspeaker. As always though, things can look very different in the flesh, and far exceed the expectations built up by a YouTube video. It’ll be interesting to see what sort of size rooms these can work in, and how close they can be situated to a rear wall - both of these are usually a huge factor in how accessible they’ll be. Although, I’m guessing most who can just splash out £45k aren’t really worried about or are limited by space.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts