New phono and Cartridge, possible valve

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Hello, i am considering an upgrade from a rega Fono mini ad2 and an Audio Technica 440mlb, i use a Creek Evo 50 amp a Rega rp3 and Tannoy dc6t speakers, room is 13ft width by 17 ft length but my problem is, i have the speakers 6 feet apart toed in at the same distance, close and close, i can move the speakers a bit further apart and take them back a bit but i have a window that negates any further distance, generally i am happy with the sound i get but i want more bass, i like the AT sound, it's not as bright as some say but i have no deep bass, would a phono amp help or a different cartridge be in order, was thinking of going valve, ie croft or project, if i went croft and i fancied an MC i would get an sut but the project would negate that, i listen to mainly rock and progressive, cant think of anything else in regards set up and taste in music but welcome your thoughts. PS budget about £500 to £700.00

gregory said:
Hello, i am considering an upgrade from a rega Fono mini ad2 and an Audio Technica 440mlb, i use a Creek Evo 50 amp a Rega rp3 and Tannoy dc6t speakers, room is 13ft width by 17 ft length but my problem is, i have the speakers 6 feet apart toed in at the same distance, close and close, i can move the speakers a bit further apart and take them back a bit but i have a window that negates any further distance, generally i am happy with the sound i get but i want more bass, i like the AT sound, it's not as bright as some say but i have no deep bass, would a phono amp help or a different cartridge be in order, was thinking of going valve, ie croft or project, if i went croft and i fancied an MC i would get an sut but the project would negate that, i listen to mainly rock and progressive, cant think of anything else in regards set up and taste in music but welcome your thoughts. PS budget about £500 to £700.00

Having to really think about this. Stay away from moving coils but for your budget you may be struggling to improve dramatically on what you have. A cartridge upgrade may do it but I don't see you getting a phono preamp as well. Possibly if you go second-hand.

Perhaps you could consider the Creek Sequel mk3 plug in module.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts