New or used headphones

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can any of you gents with far more knowhow than me point me in the right direction of a pair of cans and maybe a secondhand headphone amp,budget no more than a £100 for the amp and maybe £80 for the cans,does such a small budget deserve a dedicated amp ?

Many thanks 

A

Anonymous

First of all, do you require the headphones to be open or closed. If closed and you don't want to disturb anyone then the Sennheiser PXC250 would fit the bill but if you want open headphones then a pair of Grado 60's or, better still a pair of AlessandroMS1's. Regarding a small headphone amp, look on eBay for a Zigus ,both together will cost you about £100-£120. Hope this helps.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I can certainly recommend the Sennheiser HD595 headphones. Fantastic headphones, and currently available under £90 from Amazon.
(Much more comfy than the Grados, and IMO look much better (ie, Not like a WWII fighter pilot).

Another option for the headphone amp... Depending on your system?
The Beresord DAC has one...and can be got for jsut over £100 Now it isn't the last word in headphone amps, BUT depending on your current setup, would also give you a boost in DAC performance.

I find the sound through Beresford, and HD595 very sweet, and unfatiguing.

A

Anonymous

Like the guys before me suggested, look at either Sennheiser or Grado/Alessandro. Now what sets these apart? Much depends on your personal preference. Sennheisers tend to be more laid back in sonic signature; grado up in your face.
My best advice to you is: don't just order on recommendation alone! Take a good long listen at your local dealer. Bring your favourite music, not only the best recorded, also the duff ones that you still enjoy.
If you happen to go the grado route, the alessandro's (upraded grados made in USA) are an attractive proposition.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the suggestions ,I will go to my local dealer (Billy Vee) and listen to these.

Thanksÿ

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
My dad has a pair of the Grado SR60's and they sound amazing. He's had them for a good few years now but after testing all sorts of headphones at under £100 at Mooregate Acoustics the Grado's won hands down. In a completely different league to be honest. They are open back design's so will leak sound if thats an issue for you.

He originally only wanted to spend a max of £50, but after testing quite a few phones the £80 they cost seemed a bargain for the quality they produce.

EDIT: Never heard the Alessandro's, but deffinately have a listen to the Grado's. The shop let us have a listen the the Grado RS1 reference headphones, they produced an absoultely incredible sound. Hard to imagine a pair of headphones could sound so good. Mind you he told us the price afterwards......ouch.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts