New Nord integrated

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
just giving some feedback...just my opinion....looks very intersting amp, would def be on the must listen to list if upgrading. The remote, pretty ugly like, similar to abrahamsen one which looks 20 years old, but this can be forgiven as it no doubt saves on costs for r+d.

Also, not a fan of displays on amps. Prefer a little LED indication which input is on. I find a screen distracts from the music, and to me, makes it look cheap (ie:trying too hard). Can the display be turned off? Maybe its just what I'm used to, and I'd need time to adjust and accept? Maybe also its sokmething to do with my experiences with other displays from Cambridge that can become faulty. Something else to fail?

The rest of it looks awesome.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
radiorog said:
 just giving some feedback...just my opinion....looks very intersting amp, would def be on the must listen to list if upgrading. The remote, pretty ugly like, similar to abrahamsen one which looks 20 years old, but this can be forgiven as it no doubt saves on costs for r+d.

Also, not a fan of displays on amps. Prefer a little LED indication which input is on. I find a screen distracts from the music, and to me, makes it look cheap (ie:trying too hard). Can the display be turned off? Maybe its just what I'm used to, and I'd need time to adjust and accept?  Maybe also its sokmething to do with my experiences with other displays from Cambridge that can become faulty. Something else to fail?

The rest of it looks awesome.

Is akin to having a face in today's times. Most hifi kit, especially poweramps look mundane. A colourful led display will look enticing in the dark.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Surely a display on an integrated amp is a must!

On a similar note someone buys a Bel canto for over 5 grand and people are like wow that's fantastic.

Buy a Nord and save 3 grand on the exact same quality amp with even better internals and people are like complaining.

If I were in market for power amp now I know where I'd get one from.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Why is a display a must? I've never owned an integrated with a display, and personally, I'm not a fan in general - although some look pretty good.

I'm just not sure what benefit I would gain by having a display. I can see the input being used as the led is lit, and I can see the volume by leds also.

Perhaps I'm missing something?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The alternative for Colin is drilling holes, installing individual LEDs, logic circuit, lettering on the front plate indicating sources etc. All that will increase the price for cosmetic reasons. I understand how some people are more furniture oriented in choosing their hifi, but I'm thinking this kind of amp is primarily for the performance buffs.

Barbapapa

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
Good point, hadn't thought about simplicity of manufacture. Still I personally also prefer an amp without display.

Incidentally, Colin: the link to your website in your signature is incorrect, it has a comma after www

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
The alternative for Colin is drilling holes, installing individual LEDs, logic circuit, lettering on the front plate indicating sources etc. All that will increase the price for cosmetic reasons. I understand how some people are more furniture oriented in choosing their hifi, but I'm thinking this kind of amp is primarily for the performance buffs. 
Good point. I guess it would be more work and cost to make it look simpler.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
chris_bates1974 said:
Why is a display a must? I've never owned an integrated with a display, and personally, I'm not a fan in general - although some look pretty good.

I'm just not sure what benefit I would gain by having a display. I can see the input being used as the led is lit, and I can see the volume by leds also.

I agree too. I've never had a display on any of my amps and from my listening position, I would struggle to see what the display says anyway.

Well done to Colin by the way!

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
chris_bates1974 said:

I live on a ship. And iam surrounded by machinery and equipment every where. Most of the stuff that is controllable has a screen . And uncontrolable stuff are all big boxes with just a power indication.

Now when i get back home, i dont want to see any of those same boxes with on led. I want wear gear that i own, and can interact with. And i ceratinly want a screen :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
newlash09 said:
chris_bates1974 said:
Why is a display a must? I've never owned an integrated with a display, and personally, I'm not a fan in general - although some look pretty good.

I live on a ship. And iam surrounded by machinery and equipment every where. Most of the stuff that is controllable has a screen . And uncontrolable stuff are all big boxes with just a power indication. 

Now when i get back home, i dont want to see any of those same boxes with on led. I want wear gear that i own, and can interact with. And i ceratinly want a screen :)

It's totally all your fault

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
newlash09 said:
chris_bates1974 said:
Why is a display a must? I've never owned an integrated with a display, and personally, I'm not a fan in general - although some look pretty good.

It's totally all your fault

But I still want a screen , and if not possible, atleast a vu meter I can dance to in the dark. Just a box without a face Robs me off emotion

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I can't share the sentiment about the good looks of the integrated but I am sure many will disagree.

To me blue lights are a bit 90's and the facia looks to busy. The display looks reasonably informative but cheap (similar to Rotel's) which it probably is to save cost but I'd rather pay a tenner more for something a little nicer.

Can't argue with the value of the Nords though.

Curious about one thing though, similar topology amps usually almost double power into half loads, at least from 8 to 4ohm albeit with little or no headroom. - This one doesn't. - Deliberate and if so why?

Not that I think many would need anymore than (the probably conservatively rated) 200/250 watts.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
drummerman said:
I can't share the sentiment about the good looks of the integrated but I am sure many will disagree.

To me blue lights are a bit 90's and the facia looks to busy. The display looks reasonably informative but cheap (similar to Rotel's) which it probably is to save cost but I'd rather pay a tenner more for something a little nicer.

Can't argue with the value of the Nords though.

Curious about one thing though, similar topology amps usually almost double power into half loads, at least from 8 to 4ohm albeit with little or no headroom. - This one doesn't. - Deliberate and if so why?

Not that I think many would need anymore than (the probably conservatively rated) 200/250 watts.
or just buy a couple of Crown power amplifiers job done and cheaper still class D

TRENDING THREADS