New Nord integrated

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Nord is launching an integrated amp this month.

Looks interesting, although I've never listened to a class D amp.

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/nord-one-int-a-integrated-amplifier

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Pedro said:

Ive heard class D, and can safely say that it sounds really good on electronic music, EDM and tracks with computer beats and synthesized music. They have pitch black backgrounds, with zero floor noise. I liked them for the kind of music I listen to. But folks into classical music and more main stream music might not like them, as the tonality is not as rich as in class ab.

But has been fine with me. And I have been considering their Amps for sometime now.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Pedro said:

Ive heard class D, and can safely say that it sounds really good on electronic music, EDM and tracks with computer beats and synthesized music. They have pitch black backgrounds, with zero floor noise. I liked them for the kind of music I listen to. But folks into classical music and more main stream music might not like them, as the tonality is not as rich as in class ab.

But has been fine with me. And I have been considering their Amps for sometime now.

I agree. I find class D amps to be very efficient but cold, clinical and lifeless. Perfect for electronic music, but grey and flat for everything else.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
Fully balanced it may be but with limited facilities in the way of phono stage or DAC it may seem a tad overpriced for today's market. Not sure why anyone would want to use an amp of this price as a preamp either.

Yup, the NAD C388 seems a more interesting proposition, for instance.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
Fully balanced it may be but with limited facilities in the way of phono stage or DAC it may seem a tad overpriced for today's market. Not sure why anyone would want to use an amp of this price as a preamp either.

I'd only consider class D for poweramps, for thier value and efficiency. Difficult to judge a integrated though. Will certainly not be for everybody. A lot of people use tube pre-amps with class D poweramps to balance out the sound. Though never tried it myself. More like adding tube distortion to the clear sound of class D to make it sound believable.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
do u really believe in what you’re saying?

what’s more clinical/ clean/ cold sounding? hegel a/b or bel canto class d? do you really think it’s all as simple as class a/b or d? and what about naim class b? cold? warm? maybe itchy?

bollox

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
lpv said:
do u really believe in what you’re saying?

what’s more clinical/ clean/ cold sounding? hegel a/b or bel canto class d? do you really think it’s all as simple as class a/b or d? and what about naim class b? cold? warm? maybe itchy?

bollox

But I do agree with the bottom line. My NCore amps sound great. Full stop. Real, not cold or clinical. ‘Cold’ and ‘clinical’ are in one’s head, or with a clever word: expectation bias.

Having said that, I’d love to own a Unison Research or MasterSound. They look the business (and sound fantastic too)... But the NCores are keepers!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm impressed by the fit and finish. I dig the art deco looks,
regular_smile.png
plus it's very tidy inside. And it's balanced! Nice job Colin
thumbs_up.png

I think that older original Class D, and modern developments such as Nord, along with the likes of B&O, Primare and Mola Mola, have long since shown that these generalisations are no more accurate that ‘metal tweeters sound bright’ or ‘copper cables are warm’.

(Says the Primare user with copper cables!)

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
I think that older original Class D, and modern developments such as Nord, along with the likes of B&O, Primare and Mola Mola, have long since shown that these generalisations are no more accurate that ‘metal tweeters sound bright’ or ‘copper cables are warm’.

you’ve got a point

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Cheers Pedro for noticing! After 2 years as Nord manufacturing amps we are close to shipping 700 units now this may not sound alot but for 2 men and a shed is I think pretty good going. Our Integrated amp is a way of getting to the more normal users in the UK. Its sound blew away the new MF M6si at a well know chain, the manager has some of our top mono block on home dem. No It does not have a DAC or phono stage but at this level of sound you would want, or have your own stand alone component, why spend mony compromising the sound of the main amp with mediocore DAC's etc. As to why you would want to use it as a pre amp, well the pre amp is the same as our £940 stand alone pre amp and is good enough to operate as a pre at a much higher level. The NAD would not normally even be on our radar but has key inferior measurments in THD, SNR, and damping factor, then again I hate measurments the only important one is your ears expressed as enjoymet factor. The test equipment required for this last measurement can not be calibrated nor indeed be placed on your workbench!*biggrin*

Our normal customer base are, typically experienced high end users with£3-10K speakers take a look at our customer gallery http://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/customersystemgallery​ 95% are outside the UK. We ship worldwide in order as follows USA, Hong Kong, Japan, Scandinavian countries, Netherlands

Our return rate is about 0.6%. Our ecstatic feedback recieved is 40-50% in our mailbox.

Bel Canto Ref600M is the closest main stream product to our flagship model using NC500 and same PSU but we add a far better fully discrete Class A buffer. Bel Canto £5250 we are £2064. Dealers need at least 40% margin, Distibutors? Advertising, Pay to get reviews, shows, reps.

Class D is not all the same as valve amps are not all the same and yes we replace those. If you want sound stage, layers, resolution, dynamics and power at sensible prices Nord's deliver.

We had a new dealer in London compare our NC500 to the big Sugden MPA-4 he test me..
g9oUIft.jpg

I had a customer (Spanish so excuse the english which is almost as good as mine!) e-mail me after buying an amp for his 3rd system in his beach house

Hi Colin

• First of all many thanks for your business because I’m really satisfied about the transaction. The moons have arrived safe and perfect.

• What have impressed to me is the sound of these babies. I’ve bought them to my third system at beach home, but my curiosity made me to connect them to my main system, with B&W 800d3 usually powered by McIntosh MC1.2KW. (£15K each mono block!) These speakers are very very difficult to move! I can’t believe how good your monos sound!!!!!!!!! They’re amazing, it seems magic. Not flaws, everything is there, not just everything, I’ve listened things I’ve never did before.

• I’m so happy I will test the amps extensively in my first system before to brought the to the beach house.

• If they continue with this performance I will think about to buy 2 of them to my main system to replace the Macintosh (I’ve never thought to said that).

• But I have a question to you:

• It’s possible to double the amp modules in each mono amp in order to Biamp my B&W? I mean, each mono with double amp modules and 4 speaker binding post to biamp them. It,s like 4 mono amps but for 2 speakers.

• Many Many Many Thanks Colin, I’m so happy!

• We are not trying to change the HiFi world or convert every body to class D we just enjoy making a living and providing Hi FI that exceeds price bouderies. On the odd occasion we do a demo we get asked "why dont you have a 3 month waiting list?" Well not everdody is willing to go off the beaton path, and if they did we would be in trouble ans certain have to change the way we do things and I'm not sure I want that. Vlad yep fully balanced and cheers your Logo work is still looking good and adorns all our work.

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi Colin, I've always wanted to hear your amps but living in London it's difficult to make the trip up north. You mention a dealer in London who stocks your amps - can I ask who, so I may pay them a visit and demo?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Cheers Pedro for noticing! After 2 years as Nord manufacturing amps we are close to shipping 700 units now this may not sound alot but for 2 men and a shed is I think pretty good going. Our Integrated amp is a way of getting to the more normal users in the UK. Its sound blew away the new MF M6si at a well know chain, the manager has some of our top mono block on home dem. No It does not have a DAC or phono stage but at this level of sound you would want, or have your own stand alone component, why spend mony compromising the sound of the main amp with mediocore DAC's etc. As to why you would want to use it as a pre amp, well the pre amp is the same as our £940 stand alone pre amp and is good enough to operate as a pre at a much higher level. The NAD would not normally even be on our radar but has key inferior measurments in THD, SNR, and damping factor, then again I hate measurments the only important one is your ears expressed as enjoymet factor. The test equipment required for this last measurement can not be calibrated nor indeed be placed on your workbench!*biggrin*

Our normal customer base are, typically experienced high end users with£3-10K speakers take a look at our customer gallery http://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/customersystemgallery​ 95% are outside the UK. We ship worldwide in order as follows USA, Hong Kong, Japan, Scandinavian countries, Netherlands

Our return rate is about 0.6%. Our ecstatic feedback recieved is 40-50% in our mailbox.

Bel Canto Ref600M is the closest main stream product to our flagship model using NC500 and same PSU but we add a far better fully discrete Class A buffer. Bel Canto £5250 we are £2064. Dealers need at least 40% margin, Distibutors? Advertising, Pay to get reviews, shows, reps.

Class D is not all the same as valve amps are not all the same and yes we replace those. If you want sound stage, layers, resolution, dynamics and power at sensible prices Nord's deliver.

We had a new dealer in London compare our NC500 to the big Sugden MPA-4 he test me..

I had a customer (Spanish so excuse the english which is almost as good as mine!) e-mail me after buying an amp for his 3rd system in his beach house

Hi Colin

• First of all many thanks for your business because I’m really satisfied about the transaction. The moons have arrived safe and perfect.

• What have impressed to me is the sound of these babies. I’ve bought them to my third system at beach home, but my curiosity made me to connect them to my main system, with B&W 800d3 usually powered by McIntosh MC1.2KW. (£15K each mono block!) These speakers are very very difficult to move! I can’t believe how good your monos sound!!!!!!!!! They’re amazing, it seems magic. Not flaws, everything is there, not just everything, I’ve listened things I’ve never did before.

• I’m so happy I will test the amps extensively in my first system before to brought the to the beach house.

• If they continue with this performance I will think about to buy 2 of them to my main system to replace the Macintosh (I’ve never thought to said that).

• But I have a question to you:

• It’s possible to double the amp modules in each mono amp in order to Biamp my B&W? I mean, each mono with double amp modules and 4 speaker binding post to biamp them. It,s like 4 mono amps but for 2 speakers.

• Many Many Many Thanks Colin, I’m so happy!

• We are not trying to change the HiFi world or convert every body to class D we just enjoy making a living and providing Hi FI that exceeds price bouderies. On the odd occasion we do a demo we get asked "why dont you have a 3 month waiting list?" Well not everdody is willing to go off the beaton path, and if they did we would be in trouble ans certain have to change the way we do things and I'm not sure I want that. Vlad yep fully balanced and cheers your Logo work is still looking good and adorns all our work.

I am so glad you are doing so well you deserve it !

How are the new B&O Icepower units progressing Colin ?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
when I went to Colin's place to listen to the S2Tlk speakers, it was driven by the NC500 stereo amp, and what a sound. Not over polished just raw(not bright) clean musical powerful sound. Not as smooth as Arcam sound but better in every other way. It may well be my next upgrade driving my L/R mains. May be even one of the newer amps.

Well done Colin its all looking good. *good*

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
700 units....in a couple of years? Sounds pretty amazing to me Colin. And it's amazing to see what one guy can do with some knowledge and an idea.
I really like the idea of not wasting money on a phono stage, and also not putting a DAC in which each year will become slightly more outdated.
Bravo!

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Cheers guys.

The ICE Power 1200AS2 are very good, not as good as our buffered NC500 but its a third cheaper. 600W into 8ohms. They spent millions on developing the ASIC's Application Specific Integrated Circuit the black devices on the right. Its the first module we tested that is as good as Hypex modules. Its destined to go into the integrated as the top model.

dnt4nN6.png

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
The dealer I mentioned has not opened yet, they operate in the Pro audio market at present. Try Emporium HiFi. I was think about organising a tour next year also.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for taking the time to reply, Colin. I wasn't expecting that at all!

I honestly didn't know Nord is just two lads in a shed, that's impressive!

The best of luck. :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
The dealer I mentioned has not opened yet, they operate in the Pro audio market at present. Try Emporium HiFi. I was think about organising a tour next year also.

700 units is a very good figure in my opinion.
All the best

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts