New Member Hello...Need HDMI Cable Advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi.

Just bought myself a new 6 series Samsung 40" LCD - could anyone recommend

a decent HDMI cable without breaking the Bank. would appreciate any advice thanks

Gary.

A

Anonymous

there's a thread somewhere on here where folks seemed to decide that they couldnt really tell between your £20 tesco's own (for example) and a £60+ cable. I've not had any real experience with different hdmi cables though

A

Anonymous

By a well-made cable for as little as possible. There is no difference in these digital cables for short runs, believe me.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="thfcwestlower"]
By a well-made cable for as little as possible. There is no difference in these digital cables for short runs, believe me.
[/quote] Your assessment is not true.

A

Anonymous

Pure physics and electrical engineering would agree with me. If you claim to see a difference between two cables that meet minimum spec for 1.3, then I think you may be superhuman.

Edited to say: there is a good (albeit technical at times) discussion

Edit again: seems like I cant link to other sites for some reason.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Kellys heroes"]
Hi.

Just bought myself a new 6 series Samsung 40" LCD - could anyone recommend

a decent HDMI cable without breaking the Bank. would appreciate any advice thanks

Gary.

[/quote]

QED's Performance HDMI (aka HDMI-P) is a great cable you can pick up for @£45.

Another superb budget option is Cambridge Audio's HDMI (£30 for 2m cable), from Richer Sounds.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="thfcwestlower"]
Pure physics and electrical engineering would agree with me. If you claim to see a difference between two cables that meet minimum spec for 1.3, then I think you may be superhuman.

Edited to say: there is a good (albeit technical at times) discussion

Edit again: seems like I cant link to other sites for some reason.
[/quote] "Where did I say that I could tell the difference between two cables that meet the minimum spec for 1.3"? You were the one that stressed that a cheap cable will do the same as an expensive one. I merely pointed out that a cheap one is more than likely to not be 1.3 and therefore would be no good to someone with a bluray machine.

A

Anonymous

hi, i got a QED Performance HDMI 1 metre cable from ebay for 30 quid. They are still on there somewhere at that price so check it out. good clean bargain fun!

A

Anonymous

I seem to remember you telling me my free Virgin HDMI's were NOT 1.3 spec, Gerrard.

Actually, they are even better quality than the 1.3 spec cables I have just bought! I looked at the cable I have just purchased which is 100% a 1.3 and 1080p rated, and the free Virgin ones are the same cable, with just as good plugs AND ferrite blocks to boot. The wire has the same markings, and is clearly the same cable under a different brand!!!
It looks like the actual wire is most likely made in bulk and used by many companies? I'd be very wary of anyone here who makes a claim that something isn't as good as a £50+ one.. Certainly, there are many who shout loudly about cheap cables, mainly the ones who are sat on stupidly expensive leads. I'm ok with them believing they are better, but not ok with being told cheap ones are not up to what they obviously are. I'm not picking fights, but I just bought 3 cables as I was told my existing ones were not up to it. They are, and I'm now less well off for listening to advice from less than objective sources.
YES, many cheap ones ARE NOT up to the 1.3 spec, BUT if they say they are 1.3 then they have the same certificate as the more expensive ones and you should not be swayed otherwise. They can't say it if they aren't up to it!

All I can see that you get for 5 times or so more is a bit better shielding. For the record, my new cables were under a fiver each for a metre, and all are a good brand with exactly the same 1.3 stamp (independantly issued by HDMI) that the expensive ones have. Unlike speaker cable, you really are getting just about the same product wrapped up in a flash package. In my opinion!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="SAP7"]I seem to remember you telling me my free Virgin HDMI's were NOT 1.3 spec, Gerrard.

Actually, they are even better quality than the 1.3 spec cables I have just bought! I looked at the cable I have just purchased which is 100% a 1.3 and 1080p rated, and the free Virgin ones are the same cable, with just as good plugs AND ferrite blocks to boot. The wire has the same markings, and is clearly the same cable under a different brand!!!
It looks like the actual wire is most likely made in bulk and used by many companies? I'd be very wary of anyone here who makes a claim that something isn't as good as a £50+ one.. Certainly, there are many who shout loudly about cheap cables, mainly the ones who are sat on stupidly expensive leads. I'm ok with them believing they are better, but not ok with being told cheap ones are not up to what they obviously are. I'm not picking fights, but I just bought 3 cables as I was told my existing ones were not up to it. They are, and I'm now less well off for listening to advice from less than objective sources.
YES, many cheap ones ARE NOT up to the 1.3 spec, BUT if they say they are 1.3 then they have the same certificate as the more expensive ones and you should not be swayed otherwise. They can't say it if they aren't up to it!

All I can see that you get for 5 times or so more is a bit better shielding. For the record, my new cables were under a fiver each for a metre, and all are a good brand with exactly the same 1.3 stamp (independantly issued by HDMI) that the expensive ones have. Unlike speaker cable, you really are getting just about the same product wrapped up in a flash package. In my opinion![/quote] If I'm wrong about the Virgin cables - I apologise. I just can't see how Virgin would give away 1.3 spec cables when their boxes do not even broadcast 1080p, let alone 24fps and all that jazz. The hdmi cable I got from Sky was definitely not 1.3.

nufcmarson

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I subscribed to T3 for 1 year and received a QED HDMI-P for free! Subscription was only £39.00 a year, the cable is worth £50. It could be an option, i'm sure I have seen it advertised again in this months edition! Seems like a decent enough Cable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts