New hifi bought now i need new speakers

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Well i have finally bought a new system, the Naim 5 series CD and Amp combination. I'm currently playing it through B&W 685 speakers and it sounds sensational. II presume though that it can be even better with the appropriate speakers. Positioning in my 5 by 4 lounge could be a problem, i can only get the speakers 1.5 metres apart and they are both close to walls both back and side.

I've heard the following during demos but not one after the other;

Tannoy DCT6DE

Kef LS50

Neat motive SX2 floor standers.

I also intend trying the Kudos X2.

I like the wider soundstage of the floor stander but i have two questions.

Will a floor stander be too much for my lounge, i am struggling to get a home demo for the kit.

Is there anything else i should consider such as the ATC SCM11's?

My budget is £1200 max and am happy to spend less. In terms of size the Tannoys are the biggest that would fit into the space available. I like the sound through the B&W's but wold like more detail and instrument separation without losing the bass qualities of the speaker.

Hi shep1968

Nice one. The Nait 5si and CD5si are excellent.

Sure also try curved SCM11's. The Naim components pair well with them :) Curved SCM11's have great coherence and reproduce detail, soundstaging, bass with great quality. Their closed box design and their flat and honest presentation also helps with position them close to walls without the low frequencies in particular getting into a twist.

The new Focal JM Lab Aria 906's are also worth bearing in mind. You might be interested to know that the new Aria range was partly developed using Naim electronics.

Btw, to back up what you've already said the only way to know for sure as to whether floor standing speakers are going to be suitable for your room is to hear them in situ.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
You've already a distinct list I'll bet that those New SCM11 will sound great, but Naim pair well with Dynaudio, so consider a demo with the new Excite X14 as well, just a thought... :grin:

:cheers:

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi shep1968

Nice one. The Nait 5si and CD5si are excellent.

Sure also try curved SCM11's. The Naim components pair well with them :) Curved SCM11's have great coherence and reproduce detail, soundstaging, bass with great quality. Their closed box design and their flat and honest presentation also helps with position them close to walls without the low frequencies in particular getting into a twist.

The new Focal JM Lab Aria 906's are also worth bearing in mind. You might be interested to know that the new Aria range was partly developed using Naim electronics.

Btw, to back up what you've already said the only way to know for sure as to whether floor standing speakers are going to be suitable for your room is to hear them in situ.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
A dealer had recommended the focals but I'm not sure i can give them enough space. The Tannoys will be tight and i must admit looks apart the Neat Motive SX2 certainly fit the bill but its difficult to listen ot one after the other to see which you prefer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts